Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My 1960-1970 Raw Set Runs (UPDATE 5/18 - 1970 Set Complete!)

ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
Some on here know my quest to complete raw binder runs of all Topps sets from 1960-1970. Well, I recently completed one of the years - 1961. It was a thrilling ride and was gonna share it, but saw Daniel's post on his 1971 set and didn't want to detract from his accomplishment, so I waited.

I've posted this progress and journey on other boards. Part of this quest has been not only collecting the cards, but designing the binders they are put in. My concept was easy - front cover will have a collection of cards, with Yaz's base card prominently displayed. I did this because he is my primary player focus in collecting. The spine would have the year and pictures of a wax box and pack from that year. The back would be a checklist of some of the key cards. I designed the checklist in the form of a checklist from that year. If there was a way to show off Yaz, I would. So with all that, here are those concepts for the 1961 binder...

Front:

Spine:

Back:

As you can see from the back, I inserted a picture of Yaz nailing one to right field. I took out the series designation in the bottom right and just added the words "key cards." I selected a handful of highlights from the set and listed them on the checklist. Everything else is from an actual 1961 checklist card.

During this time, I was slowly building my set. I acquired cards from many people and places. I already had a handful in my collection (maybe 5-10% of the set). I then called out to my CU brethren. The call was answered. I've thanked him a ton, but another huge shout out goes to Steve (luvoldpacks). He helped me build the majority of my set. We worked out some trades and cash along the way. We broke it up into 4-5 groupings to make it better on the pocketbook. I also utilized Greg Morris auctions, other eBay listings, some local card shops, and other board members from various card boards. It got me to the point I am now...complete!

I am not going to focus too much on upgrading what I have until I get done with my whole 1960-1970 run, which I am at just under 50% (3,324 cards out of 6,707). I would guesstimate that my current 1961 set makeup is as follows:

5% - VG/EX and Below

50% - EX and EX/MT

35% - NM

10% - NM/MT and Mint

So I started collecting, collecting, collecting. I gathered cards everywhere I could. I posted some on here in the pickups, but here is the complete process...

After sitting on about 75 or so cards, Steve sent out the first lot of cards my way (by the way, he sent these out before any payment, because he wanted me to be happy with them before I bought them - super good guy).

Here was Steve's second shipment to me. Of course, my favorite sits front and center...

My 3rd transaction with Steve was a big one!

Stopped in a small LCS in Richmond, VA and checked some more off my list...

Picked up a card I had been missing in a Greg Morris auction, which got me complete with everything below card #300 (Mantle). I had about 100 cards left after this one.

Another big boy from an individual listing (even though OC, still sharp corners and great registration)

My last big transaction with Steve. Lots of big time high numbers included in this group.

I was down to my final 13...picked these from individual auctions all on the same weekend. Felt good to get this done!

I received those last 13, nestled them snug in their sheets, and sat back to marvel at the complete set. This was the first vintage set I have ever pieced together. It was fun. It makes collecting for the other sets that much more enjoyable. I find myself pulling the binder out and just thumbing through the pages. So cathartic and pleasurable. That is all I wanted and why I started this journey in the first place. Thanks for riding along this long post with me!

Here is the complete set in the binders - front and back pics...

Comments

• dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Well done Brent. The 61s present really well in the binders. Congrats on finishing part of your monster project!

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Great looking cards and your binder design is fantastic

Why 60 to 70 ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Brent

First off congratulations on completing a great set!

Second - your design for the binder is incredible! It reminds me of someone we had here who no longer posts - Buccaneer (a good guy who loved the hobby) - who did something similar.

Third - the demonstration of what appears to be your "pure" enjoyment for this accomplishment is reminiscent of the "late great" Chris Stufflestreet who was "the collector's collector" here - and that's a great compliment buddy.
    Mike
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Great job and great read however you do realize that the box pictured on the spine of the album is a 64, not a 61, yes?!?! Or maybe that's just a mockup of what the spine will look like but even if it is I just thought I would let you know in case you weren't aware.

And Steve is a great gal err guy!! (Hi Steve!!image)
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave

Originally posted by: bishop

Great looking cards and your binder design is fantastic

Why 60 to 70 ?

Short story is that the 1970 set is very special to me, because of my late uncle. It was the only cards he ever collected as a kid. I got them (about 40% of a set) when he died. 1960 was a natural choice for me to start a run at, because of Yaz's RC year.

I don't have enough money to try and conquer the 50s, maybe later 50s, but that is about it. The 70s are not as important to me right now, but will be my focus once I get done with the 60-70 run.

Hey Mike - Thanks for all that!

Originally posted by: mikelowell25

Great job and great read however you do realize that the box pictured on the spine of the album is a 64, not a 61, yes?!?! Or maybe that's just a mockup of what the spine will look like but even if it is I just thought I would let you know in case you weren't aware.

Yes, totally my bad. I have the correct spine on my work computer. I had made the 64 spine first and used it as a template. This is an older unfinished version that I never deleted. I uploaded this same one on another board too, so thanks for letting me know!
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    congrats!! what an accomplishment and presents very well.....awesome looking!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a great set build! I think '61 Topps is a great set due to the clean design of the fronts. Topps loved the iconic all star cards so much they brought the design back nine year later. I think the binder is really cool too.
    Daniel
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on that tough set!
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

As with Patrick's Superman binder, please show the final binder and who you use to print the spine. Are you going to use Unikeep binders? You will need two unless you get one of their new double binders. Also, let us know if you're using black or white binders with such a graphics laden overlay.

Thanks.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Great journey! Thanks for sharing.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Amazing job on the set and this post displaying the fruits of your labor!

I really enjoyed your custom checklist and the Yaz highlights.

Incredible!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • arexarex Posts: 999
    Awesome job putting the set together! And thanks for sharing it only the pictures but the story behind it.
    Any set in particular you are going to focus on next?
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Third - the demonstration of what appears to be your "pure" enjoyment for this accomplishment is reminiscent of the "late great" Chris Stufflestreet who was "the collector's collector" here - and that's a great compliment buddy.

Mike- that is the first thing I thought as well. Chris was a very passionate collector, and I"m fortunate to have a few of his sets in binders. Brent's enthusiasm in putting together this set raw in binders read just like Chris's posts, and I know Chris is smiling down seeing another spirit like his.
    Congrats Brent, and keep up the good work. If you need high res scans of packs, boxes, salesman samples, etc for the binders I'm happy to help.

Sure is fun watching someone put together a project like this!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Anthony, I will take you up on your offer to Brent (assuming it's transferableimage) and would like to see a high res scan of your 58 salesman panelimageimage
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I put together the 1965 set (95+%) in my teens. Hand collated binder set one-by-one from shows and shops. Obtained the last 14 or so when i returned to the hobby....Wow ebay makes it so much easier.....i understand your feelings you shared when you sit back and thumb thru the pages..."cathartic and pleasurable" is right....Itll always have a special meaning, memories with my buddies and never for sale (my only complete set that I have)....so thanks for sharing and bringing back memories...Im going to go get that binder now.... Congrats again!!!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the set!!! The high #'s are really tough! Along with the
    '66 set the '61 is my favorite of the decade. What an accomplishment!!
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the set!!! The high #'s are really tough! Along with the
    '66 set the '61 is my favorite of the decade. What an accomplishment!!
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Well said Mike.

congrats on your set it a wonderful way to collect.
  • CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, beautiful set.
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I love the 61 set with the "painting" style. You have a lot of cards with bright white borders which really make this set stand out. Nicely done!

"Molon Labe"

• MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Very nice set.
    Wow guys! Thanks for all the love! This has definitely been an incredible experience and appreciate all the feedback. makes me excited to finish out my next set.

Originally posted by: Griffins

Mike- that is the first thing I thought as well. Chris was a very passionate collector, and I"m fortunate to have a few of his sets in binders. Brent's enthusiasm in putting together this set raw in binders read just like Chris's posts, and I know Chris is smiling down seeing another spirit like his.

Congrats Brent, and keep up the good work. If you need high res scans of packs, boxes, salesman samples, etc for the binders I'm happy to help.

Sure is fun watching someone put together a project like this!

I would love high resolution scans of anything you have from these years. One thing that I neglected to mention in my OP was that I have a side project that I am not paying too much attention to right now where I get wax wrappers for each of these years to put in the inside cover of each respective binder. I am also doing a little write up for each set.

For everyone that mentioned Sufflestreet's name, thanks for the honor. He was a good man (who I never knew personally), but enjoyed reading his blog posts and articles. I've used Cardboard Connection a lot during this journey.

Originally posted by: arex

Awesome job putting the set together! And thanks for sharing it only the pictures but the story behind it.

Any set in particular you are going to focus on next?

I have a number of sets I am well on my way with. As far as completion percentages, these are my next 5 highest compiled sets...

1. 84.5% - 1964

2. 79.3% - 1970

3. 65.7% - 1969

4. 57.0% - 1960

5. 45.5% - 1966

Thanks again guys. I'll be posting more on these other sets once I get them done I'm sure!

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to post pictures of the completed binder.

Also, the printing method used: self or print shop (FedEx Office for example).

Oh yeah, I forgot to post about the binders, sorry. I thought about Unikeep binders, but I didn't like the idea of the binders being split in 2, or that the big ones would be separated by a divider. So, I just went with heavy duty 3 ring binders that I got through Office Depot. They cost more than regular binders, but hoping they last longer. The Size is 2.5" and I got them in black. I have found that to be the best size for the projects I'm doing. When I get into some of the 1970+ sets that are way into the 700s in card count (then add variations on top of that), I may have to turn to 3" binders.

I used Adobe Photoshop to do all of my editing. I have printed them on a high end printer, then cut them to size.

Here they are on my shelf.

ETA: Note this is an old picture of when I printed the wrong spine for the 1961 binder. I updated the OP with the correct spine. Thanks again Mike for pointing it out.
  • This set looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Do you worry about the cards being damaged in the binders? How do you store the binders? I store mine in binder boxes with the spines up. Do you buy the binders at Staples, or do you use specialty binders?

I like to display my cards in binders, too, but I wonder if they are as protective as other storage solutions.
    Casey Barker
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding job! I did one back in the day as well. Enjoy it.
    Good for you.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I really like the binders. Because I also do variations, inserts and test issues from each year all my binders, which are also from Home Depot and black, are 3 or 4 inches, And because some insert or test sets, traded sets, ect, are bulky, for some years I need a second smaller binder

There might be a market out there for your binder labels.

By the way, hello Steve (win pitcher)
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Thanks guys!

Originally posted by: byesac

This set looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Do you worry about the cards being damaged in the binders? How do you store the binders? I store mine in binder boxes with the spines up. Do you buy the binders at Staples, or do you use specialty binders?

I like to display my cards in binders, too, but I wonder if they are as protective as other storage solutions.

I'm still tossing around a lot of possibilities. I build furniture as a hobby and was even considering building a shelf where each binder would have its own slot and lay flat, therefore putting no stress on the sheets.

Originally posted by: bishop

I really like the binders. Because I also do variations, inserts and test issues from each year all my binders, which are also from Home Depot and black, are 3 or 4 inches, And because some insert or test sets, traded sets, ect, are bulky, for some years I need a second smaller binder

There might be a market out there for your binder labels.

By the way, hello Steve (win pitcher)

Al, I have thought about making some variation covers too. I am slowly putting together a raw set of 64 standups and would think that those green and yellow cards would look great!

As far as a market, I would totally do something like that, but I'm sure there is some type of copyright that would greatly limit my ability to sell them. What I would love to do is trade for them. I would customize them to fit your needs and do some sort of in-kind trade. I did that for Jim (Vintagefun) and really enjoyed helping him out, while having him help me fill in some missing areas of my 60s raw journey.

Almost something like the old things you would see in your elementary/MS/HS admin offices...

I do a lot of upcycling with old material and could really make it look great. I would make each of the cubbies just big enough to hold 1 binder. I could totally envision 20 binders nicely laid out for easy access!
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Will you do another set maybe 62?
    Originally posted by: heritage

Will you do another set maybe 62?

I'm in process of doing all of the sets from 1960-1970. I'm close on a few of them. Here are my next 5 closest to complete sets...

1. 84.5% - 1964

2. 79.3% - 1970

3. 65.7% - 1969

4. 57.0% - 1960

5. 45.5% - 1966

Out of all my sets, 1962 is the one that I have fewest of. I am only at 6.7% complete on that set.
    edited October 12, 2016 7:26AM

An update to my 1960-1970 raw Topps set run. I'm also slowly putting a 1971-1979 raw set run together too, but the 60s are getting a lot of my attention. I have complete sets of 1980+

-----------Set-------------Have-------Set Total-----% Complete
    ------1960 Topps----------376----------572------------65.73%
    ------1961 Topps----------587----------587-----------100.00%
    ------1962 Topps----------380----------598------------63.35%
    ------1963 Topps-----------74--------- 576-------------12.85%
    ------1964 Topps----------508----------587------------86.54%
    ------1965 Topps----------217----------598------------36.29%
    ------1966 Topps----------272--------- 598------------45.48%
    ------1967 Topps-----------92----------609-------------15.11%
    ------1968 Topps----------215----------598------------35.95%
    ------1969 Topps----------437----------664------------65.81%

------1970 Topps----------665----------720------------92.36%

----------TOTAL-------------3823---------6707----------57.00%

My two closest sets to completion are my 1964 (79 cards left) and 1970 (55 cards left) sets. I have my checklists in the BST thread if you have any that you are willing to sell or trade!

edited October 12, 2016 7:27AM

I have no clue why my comment has 2 lines that are a different style.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

love the binder look, congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome. I'm doing the exact thing with my 1968 raw set. If you need any from that year in NM to Nmmt condition, I have about 100 dupes I'd be willing to sell or trade.

That sounds awesome about your 68 set, Brian. I don't have a ton of dupe 68s, but I will take a look and see if I have anything. I'll shoot you a PM if I have anything. PM if you have any other collecting interests for a trade. I can shoot you my checklist if you PM me your email.

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2016 5:35PM

@ugaskidawg said:........I would make each of the cubbies just big enough to hold 1 binder. I could totally envision 20 binders nicely laid out for easy access!

And if each of the cubbies "bed" could roll out towards you on wheels, how sweet would that be for viewing.

edited October 12, 2016 8:09PM

Your binders look a lot better than mine. Please send me your labels!

"Molon Labe"

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

The binders look awesome Brent! I love the look of those and you have me contemplating binders for my raw sets now. :)

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, and SidePocket, when the apocalypse comes we're all heading to your house to hole up looking at all those Blazer boxes. ;)

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
    edited October 13, 2016 8:28AM

@yankeesman said:
    The binders look awesome Brent! I love the look of those and you have me contemplating binders for my raw sets now. :)

Nathan, I think that would be awesome! Maybe we can work out a trade. I will make you whatever binder art you want. I know you have some 60s commons that would fill some gaps in my sets ;););)

I actually worked out a trade with @vintagefun doing this same thing. I love putting together these projects for folks!!

@SidePocket said:

Your binders look a lot better than mine. Please send me your labels!

Hey Mark - If you give me dimensions of your binders and what sets you need, I can put something together for you. I'm up for trades if that is something you'd want to do!! I have random gaps to fill in these 60s sets.

@ZTarg said:

@ugaskidawg said:........I would make each of the cubbies just big enough to hold 1 binder. I could totally envision 20 binders nicely laid out for easy access!

And if each of the cubbies "bed" could roll out towards you on wheels, how sweet would that be for viewing.

Ummm, that would be awesome. I make furniture as a hobby, so maybe you have given me an idea for my next project!

Brent, let me see what I have to trade. Been building slowly so I don't get too many doubles.

"Molon Labe"

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I commend your approach toward the binder cover pages and spine....Wow! that's very cool!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would really like to one day collect a nice 1963 set. I really like 63 topps. great 61topps set you have. I also like your binders. I have all of the sets from 1969 to 1991 in binders. I use the blue basecard world binders. thank you for sharing.

@SidePocket said:
    Brent, let me see what I have to trade. Been building slowly so I don't get too many doubles.

No problem Mark - I'm sure we can work something out. I'm super flexible and love doing this stuff so even if it doesn't fit the 1960 run, we'll work it out! Just let me know what sets you are thinking.

Thanks everyone! I'm so close to the 64 and 70 set, I can taste it!

edited May 23, 2017 6:48AM

Huge update for me. I finished my 1970 set a couple weeks ago and have just gotten around to putting together some pics. As with my 61 binder, I designed the front/back/spine of the binder. Yaz being my favorite player, he is featured on the front of the binder, the back is a custom made checklist of the higher profile cards in the set, and the spine has a picture of a wax pack and box. Take a look back to my first post to see what my ultimate goal is with these raw sets.

This set is especially important because of my uncle. Many of you know this story, but he only collected cards for one year and it was 1970. When I was a 7 y.o. kid in 1986, I found a grocery bag in my grandmother's gardening shed with about 500 1970 Topps cards (40% of set after removing dupes). Some were pristine and others had been exposed to the elements. When he died in a car accident in 2003, I was asked if I wanted any of my uncles things. I knew what I wanted, something I could keep to remember him by. With these sets I try and collect EX to NM cards, but with this set there are some that are poor/fair that were part of that collection, so they will stay in my binder because of sentimental reasons.

Here are the covers...

I will add some pics of some of my acquisitions over the last year, but for now, here is my set in their binder pages!

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I love binder sets. Great story. What's the next set?