Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cost to grade a Sportscaster?

What's the cheapest amount to grade a Sportscaster card outside of a monthly special?
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    I believe that they are at the $18 service level.

Matt
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Matt. I wasn't sure if they cost more because of their size. I've never submitted an oversized card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    The good news is that the turnaround times are a lot better.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Yeah I just did a supersize sub with another member. He included a bunch of sportscasters. They were $18 each, but 10 day turnaround and popped today on day 8
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Yeah I just did a supersize sub with another member. He included a bunch of sportscasters. They were $18 each, but 10 day turnaround and popped today on day 8

That other member got some pretty fantastic results too image
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I know I can search ebay for results of specific cards, but in terms of selling and demand, are these "marketable" in raw form? I have about 200 of these from the various sports in what I would consider mint condition. Just wondering if the time/cost to grade is worth the effort
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
    Originally posted by: mtcards
    I know I can search ebay for results of specific cards, but in terms of selling and demand, are these "marketable" in raw form? I have about 200 of these from the various sports in what I would consider mint condition. Just wondering if the time/cost to grade is worth the effort

If they're US editions, you're generally looking at a buck or two each raw. You'd be lucky to get grading fees back even with 9s or 10s on most: eBay Sold

Foreign editions are more marketable raw, but I would recommend grading any superstars for maximum return.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mtcards

Depends on the country. That makes an immense difference in value.

In terms of value, the list from highest to lowest goes more or less like this:

Dutch

Belgian

German

Italian (not to be confused with North American printed in Italy)

Swedish

French

North American - printed in Japan

UK

Finnish

North American - printed in Italy

The top few nations' issues can sell for up to hundreds of times the value of North American - Italy versions for the most popular players.

Good list! I might swap Italian and German from my personal experience and have actually lucked into a few Belgian. I've still never seen a single Dutch.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Good list! I might swap Italian and German from my personal experience and have actually lucked into a few Belgian. I've still never seen a single Dutch.

I think German and Italian are approx equal. Both of those are clearly above Swedish and French. Swedish and French are reasonably close to each other. NA-Japan, UK and Finnish are all relatively close to each other, but not on par with Swedish and French. NA-Italy is definitely a distant last place.