Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone Going To National?

With just slightly more than a month to go until the National is upon us, I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about who is going, where they are staying, what they are looking for, etc., etc. Or maybe general excitement as it gets closer.
This will be my first attending, and I am a little excited. Looking at adding to my PSA player set registry and adding some scarcer cards of my favorite players. Also looking forward to meeting others, and of course the guys at BBCE.
Anyone else?

Comments

• eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    I will be there--Tuesday through Friday. I know AC is not everybody's "cup of tea" but the location doesn't bother me one way or another. My first National was actually in AC the last time the show was held there (about a decade ago, if memory serves).

Anyway, what could be better than a road trip with a buddy, a few beer, some light gambling and the best sports card show on the planet?

Hope everybody makes it safely to AC.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Heck, with PWCC,Probstein and the other eBay consigners, why bother with the National?
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I will be going! Looking for wax and starting lineups!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Looks like I will be going to my first National in 28 years. Have been to only one other ... 1988 in Atlantic City as well.

I'm not really going to buy anything special. It's going to be to meet people I have become friends with over the years on this and one other board.

As of now, scheduled to be there early afternoon on Thursday and leaving Sunday.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I would go if Kevin promised to show up. Or the other Kevin. Or the other other Kevin.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • The show will be horrible for dealers, but as a collector, I'll be there. Woo Hoo....
  • kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to say this Kevin won't make it this year but planning on being in Chicago next year.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: basketballcollector
    The show will be horrible for dealers, but as a collector, I'll be there. Woo Hoo....

Why is this?
  • Originally posted by: Stan Pounder
    I'll be there. I would love to meet some of you guys. I'll be wearing a pink t-shirt probably a size to small for me, so you'll definitely notice me with my hairy belly sticking out. I'm excited fellas.

Well that made my decision. LOL.

But seriously, Im hearing overpriced cards in a not so good location. Inventory that can be found online etc. So really why should someone go? Other than meeting up with people if you know someone else thats going vs so many online auctions and auction houses nearly every month?
  • Originally posted by: MrNearMint
    Originally posted by: basketballcollector
    The show will be horrible for dealers, but as a collector, I'll be there. Woo Hoo....

Why is this?

The 2003 National there was terrible. I don't see how this year will be any different.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I will be there Wednesday - Sunday. This will be my first
    National.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss
    I don't know why anyone would go, given the venue and the market. You won't be able to buy anything. But if you enjoy museums, enjoy!

So should we put you down for a strong "maybe" this year?
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss
    I don't know why anyone would go, given the venue and the market. You won't be able to buy anything. But if you enjoy museums, enjoy!

I have about 20 sets that need ungraded vg/ex commons to complete, plus have several items to consign, plus have a few items to submit to PSA and BVG.

Also, I have a list of a few Perez Steeles that I need and am in the market for a couple high end cards. I will likely strike out on the high-end cards, but the other reasons are why I'm going. The market has never been better for the National. It'll be exciting.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am attending my first National this year. This just came to fruition, so I will have my hands full planning. Has anyone made any definite plans on meeting up with fellow board members?
  • NugenNugen Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I will be there From Wednesday through Saturday and will be bring items to trade/sell. Hasn't PSA hosted an event for collector club members in the past?
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    Right now it looks like I'll be there Th-Sa. Trying to find a way to get there Wed.

Anyone up for meeting for Dinner/Drinks Friday?

Dave
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Nyet. Already putting money aside for Chicago. Logistically it's much easier to get to and it's a far more desirable location.
  • We basketball collectors (although anyone can come) will be getting together for dinner one night after the show ends. No details yet, but the restaurant will be in walking distance from the convention center. PM me if you're interested. Thx.

P.S. It's unrelated to Michael Rakosi's entourage. image
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    was planning to go but just came back from St. Martin and have lots of construction going on here. It'll be a game time decision--but if I go it'll be Thrs-Sun to meet Doug
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am 50/50, I do need to submit some cards to PSA.

Does Collectors universe have a table/presence there?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will probably go on Thursday. It's a 2.5 hour drive on a good day so not so bad. I didn't pick much up at the National in Baltimore (2012) due to high prices but it's worth seeing all the stuff people have.
    Daniel
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I will be there - question for National veterans..any advantage of buying a specific VIP pass if I am there all week (Wed-Sun but I can't see myself going to the show every day)?
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cakes

No, it's only the biggest show of the year. PSA won't be thereimage

"Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty and meet me tonight in Atlantic City"
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: maddux69

"Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty and meet me tonight in Atlantic City"

The Boss, right?!?!image

He covered it, but give me The Band's version every day of the week!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I was going. Will have to live vicariously through the posts/pics on here

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mikelowell25
    Originally posted by: Cakes

No, it's only the biggest show of the year. PSA won't be thereimage

LOL I know PSA will be there that's why I planned on submitting some cards. What I meant was does Collectors Universe have a presence etc...for message board members that we could all meet at?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I am still debating on going. Where is the best place to stay that is close to convention??
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I plan to be there, looking forward to it.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
    Anyone plan on attending the registry luncheon? The last day to RSVP is tomorrow if so!
  • Hell yeah !!! I'll be at the PSA Registry luncheon. image
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i will be there wednesday though friday. i'm definitely game to meet for dinner/drinks and even some showing off and potential trading after the show, hoping a couple of these type events start to come together next week.

the reasons to go are too numerous to list, but i'll leave you with the main one for me. this is the ONLY time each year that you can pretty well see anything you want to see. it's not so much about buying opportunities for me as it is to just see what's out there and confirm my existing collecting themes and even give me ideas for others.

i hadn't been to a national in nearly 15 years when i went last year in chicago. it was unbelievable - i saw a couple wagners, joe jacksons, high grade t206s, 10s of just about anything you can think of, so many autographs i'd never seen before and lot of them vintage/historical (athletes, presidents, you name it), got to hold a babe ruth bat, superman costume, some rare comic books, game used jerseys and bats, etc. it goes on and on and on. you could literally walk around for several days and still not take it all in.

as far as pricing goes, depending on what you collect of course my experience was prices tended to be higher than some of the recent online. but if you've studied the market and know what you're collecting, there are absolutely deals to be found. i also found MOST of the dealers are willing to negotiate to something that was at least reasonable, especially in the mid-grade levels that don't vary in price quite as much and haven't necessarily seen the big increases this year. several dealers lowered their prices when i'd return for second looks, some wouldn't, just depends on who you're dealing with and what it is. i didn't have any trouble spending money, though.

i get that the cost to travel and stay can be prohibitive and probably makes it "uneconomical" for a lot if not most people. i get it.

however, the in-person experience cannot be substituted by looking at high resolution scans on computers and bidding in auctions.

anyway, i plan to write it up with pictures again this year each day i'm there. i'm no bill simmons, but i'll do my best.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

While I certainly prefer The Band overall, this is definitely a Springsteen original, from his incredible classic, Nebraska.

And while I love this song infinitely more than the actual geographic location described within, I am crossing my fingers that I will be able to make it for at least the weekend days of the show.

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I will be there on Wed and Thursday. Looking forward to seeing all the guys again this year. Wish I was staying longer but it is what it is.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    No national for me this year image
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    I guess everyone got the email for BBCE. They said they would have 2,500 ft of space and their largest inventory of unopened they have ever had including all years of fleer basketball(does that include 1961?). They also said they would have high end examples of major RC's. Would be worth it just to see their spread. Too far for me but wish I could see it. Would appreciate it if someone could post some pics. Hope this who are going have a blast!!
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Have not been very active on the CU Boards in 2016 primarily due to another addition to the growing brood (we are up to 3 kids now). Not that I was a super poster here to begin with, but this place has been just pure awesome when it comes to information and knowledge about cards. And with the National in my backyard this year, I'm inspired to return to the Hobby now in a more meaningful way.

With that said, this will be my first National, pretty stoked about the fact that I'm actually going to be at a card show! Last one I attended was in 1990!

Anyway, wanted to get the community of experts' thoughts on a few things, excuse my naivety here as well.

1. Should I bring a stack of cash with me or is paypal (can do Friends/Family for graded cards or BBCE boxes) or CC acceptable currency here?

2. Should I expect to actually see any real deals or are the prices, for the most part, inflated over what I could pay on Ebay? I'm after unopened baseball from 1977-1985. And mid to high grade HOFERS from late 60s through early 80s.

3. Should I even dare bring my two oldest, who are only 3 & 6?

As always, appreciate the collective wisdom that you all bring, thank you! Hope to see some CU folks around the BBCE booth! Always up for group rips!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Oh for sure bring the kids. Make sure they touch everything.
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Cash is king!

------
    stupid print dots

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Thats a lot of walking for two small ones. Or pushing for you and to keep track of.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun guys - am drooling over some of BBCE's facebook pics.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • I am a National after the fact collector

Will await what is available after all settles

down after the event at the online sites.

• parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    i will be there saturday.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    9.5 hours and counting - Leaving Long Island in the morning to head to AC. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • If anyone sees Gary, ask for a picture of his bartop.