Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Most heavily collected/desired non HOF members

Probably had this list before, but just in case any new additions, let's try it again. Who are the top 5 most heavily collected baseball players who have run out of chances to be voted in by sportswriters? I know 1 player is very coveted although he may not be so heavily collected due to the relative scarcity of his cards. Here is my list:

Joe Jackson, Pete Rose, Bo Jackson, Roger Maris and Don Mattingly

Comments

• cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Thurman Munson

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    All great answers ... the first one that came to mind was the same as Jeff's answer ... Mr. Munson!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Dale Murphy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't count Rose or Joe Jackson because everyone knows those 2 are legends.

Dave Parker(Cobra) and Dale Murphy seem to be heavily collected. Also Roger Maris and Gil Hodges very collectable.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Okay I agree with garnettstyle. Rose and Shoeless don't count because they should be automatic 1-2 on anyone's list. So lets just see what other players are loved. Great answers so far.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jose Canseco, Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
    All the PED guys...Clemens, Bonds, McGwire...I know it's a sore subject but I still like collecting them.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gemyanks10
    All the PED guys...Clemens, Bonds, McGwire...I know it's a sore subject but I still like collecting them.

I don't count bonds and Clemens yet, I think there's a more than decent chance they finally make it
    Originally posted by: bounce

I don't count bonds and Clemens yet, I think there's a more than decent chance they finally make it

I hope you're right.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bounce

I hope you're right.

X100. I don't care what they took, best I ever saw.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omar vizquel

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    As was noted above, Bonds and Clemens dont count for this because they still have opportunities to get voted in. We are looking for guys that completed their tour on the ballot without 75%.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    I would say:

Roger Maris
    Gil Hodges
    Don Mattingly
    Jose Canseco
    Thurman Munson

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    I'll throw in a vote for my childhood baseball idol, Eric Davis.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Manny "The Roadrunner" Sanguillen....way better than Bench ever was!!
  • FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Rajah
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andres Gallaraga

Ron Santo

Barry Larkin
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: maddux69

Andres Gallaraga

Ron Santo

Barry Larkin

santo and larkin are hall of famers
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    Omar vizquel

Omar is on the 2018 ballot and stands a very good chance to get in on the first vote.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an old Dodger fan and collector - Gil Hodges.
    Mike
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Munson
    Maris
    Mattingly
    Hodges
    Murcer
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tkd7
    Munson
    Maris
    Mattingly
    Hodges
    Murcer

You almost had a flush there! I agree w/each of those cards.

mint_only_pls
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    1) Thurman Munson

2) Roger Maris

3) Tony Oliva

4) Don Mattingly

5) Steve Garvey
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not heavily collected but possible VC inductees.
    .300 lifetime hitters: Madlock, Oliva, Oliver
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls
    Munson
    Maris
    Mattingly
    Hodges
    Murcer

In the old west they would shoot a four flusher

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls
    Munson
    Maris
    Mattingly
    Hodges
    Murcer

In the old west they would shoot a four flusher

I see that your fingers are on the trigger.
    mint_only_pls
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭
    Santo & Larkin are in so they don't count.

Many NY Yankees are collected to some point if most of their cards are Yankees and not some other team.

Garvey has some following Dwight Evans also. Both are just under HOF level.

I collect Bobby Murcer.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • I think it's reasonable to consider someone's starting a Master Set as a somewhat decent indication of serious collector interest.

Based on that, here are the top 26 players, in order of number of Master Sets started, who are not Hall of Famers and who have dropped off the ballot or who are otherwise ineligible. (So this obviously doesn't include active players, those currently on the ballot, and those recently retired awaiting their turn on the ballot).

I also included each player's primary team (determined by plate appearances) and any team with which he got ~20% or more of his career plate appearances or innings pitched as a secondary team. I did this because it's interesting and I was bored. Not surprisingly, New York, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, and Boston account for nearly the whole list.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Fergie Jenkins was elected in 1991.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Whoops my bad. This is what drunk Excel at 2AM gets you.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: billwaltonsbeard

Bo

Correct. Vandweller had a great post there, but it is easy to miss the Bo Jackson sets since they are found under Misc. Sports instead of under the Baseball section. There are 47 sets registered for Bo's master set, making him #3 on Vandweller's excel list.
  • Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Originally posted by: billwaltonsbeard

Bo

Correct. Vandweller had a great post there, but it is easy to miss the Bo Jackson sets since they are found under Misc. Sports instead of under the Baseball section. There are 47 sets registered for Bo's master set, making him #3 on Vandweller's excel list.

Good catch. I wasn't posting the be-all-and-all. Just something quick and dirty that took 10 minutes.

• Pete Rose .

Pete Rose 's Autograph . The fact that so many people are still willing to pay at least 50 bucks for a guy that signed about 10 Trillion autographs amazes me. Yes Pete Rose is the Hit King , but he did more paid autograph signings than any athlete in history . Leaf built a set around Pete Rose and his autograph .
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vandweller

I think it's reasonable to consider someone's starting a Master Set as a somewhat decent indication of serious collector interest.

Based on that, here are the top 26 players, in order of number of Master Sets started, who are not Hall of Famers and who have dropped off the ballot or who are otherwise ineligible. (So this obviously doesn't include active players, those currently on the ballot, and those recently retired awaiting their turn on the ballot).

I also included each player's primary team (determined by plate appearances) and any team with which he got ~20% or more of his career plate appearances or innings pitched as a secondary team. I did this because it's interesting and I was bored. Not surprisingly, New York, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, and Boston account for nearly the whole list.

Thanks for doing this. Im sure it had to be fun seeing where players landed. I have #4 Mattingly Master. Love finding oddballs.
  • I never got why Will Clark is so desired , less than 2200 hits and not even a great power hitter and he's more sought after than John Olerud , who has comparable stats .
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Harold Baines.
    BTW Santo was voted in a couple of years back.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets