Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

71 Greatest Moments--added 5 toughies to move to #6

this is one of the toughest sets to complete in PSA-6 or better. getting to #6 on the registry was never even a thought. The HOFers are tough to get since many player collectors hold on to them forever. generally you can only upgrade at glacial speed. gotta have patience---but if you are looking for a challenge--you found it. Lots of mystery with this set as there are no packs ever seen--so no real idea on how it was distributed. Love the story on the back of each!

out of over 3,800 cards graded there are only 50 PSA-9s--that's about 1.5%

if you opt to start the set--be careful of buying raw cards. many people will color the black border to make it appear sharper

any HOFer in PSA-8 is outstanding for this set!

this is the Holy Grail of this set. there are only 61 graded and only there are 8 PSA-7s--no 8s or 9s. believe it was on the corner of the sheet and is usually off centered

linky to my set

Comments

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome set to try and complete. Maybe one day I will go for it. Flatfoot you have landed some amazing looking cards for that set. Here is my one and only example. Every time I see a HOFer for sale I am tempted to start this set.

• NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Awesome cards. I love the mystery to it. Still
    Hard to believe no one really knows how they were packed out. I thought I heard a wax wrapper was known to exist? Was it issued in just certain test markets?
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great additions to your set, Manny. The 71TGM set is near and dear to my heart. Topps really hit a home run with this issue.
    Daniel
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Great additions to a wonderful set, and one that still involves some mystery as to it's distribution
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Great job Manny ... good luck with your other upgrades.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Manny, those are off the hook! Congrats on moving up the list.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Awesome cards Manny! I love that set and can't wait to land a Yaz.
  • braves72078braves72078 Posts: 465 ✭✭
    Thank is one beautiful card os Mr. Cub image
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWEET!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NHLfightguy

Awesome cards. I love the mystery to it. Still

Hard to believe no one really knows how they were packed out. I thought I heard a wax wrapper was known to exist? Was it issued in just certain test markets?

Clean sweep auctions sold a wrapper last fall or sometime in the winter; am too lazy and busy to find it now, someone else can do the work for a changeimage

Originally posted by: braves72078

Thank is one beautiful card os Mr. Cub image

I couldn't have said it any better myself

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I remember the wrapper that lazy was talking about image

linky to prior thread on the wrapper

linky to wrapper auction

Sir--please post this wonderful wrapper!

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

You don't have to call him sir--you'll confuse him. image

Great cards, Manny. When Mr. Wrapper is visiting in a couple weeks, he can help me prepare my '71 GM submission.
    Originally posted by: flatfoot816

I remember the wrapper that lazy was talking about image

linky to prior thread on the wrapper

linky to wrapper auction

Great, just spent like a half hour looking through all of their catalogs from the last year and a half because I couldn't find it in any recent ones (and you can't do a search for items on their website); finally found it in the october 2014 catalog and then return to this thread and see of course you posted it 10 minutes ago. That's a half hour of my life I'll never get back. Didn't realize the auction was almost two years ago--feels like it was only six months ago. Who can keep track of all this @#÷%?!?! I would need to hire a second secretary!!image

ETA: And manny, whatever you do, don't ever call me lazy. You can call me late for dinner but don't call me lazy. Only I can call myself lazyimage

Cool seeing that wrapper. Wonder how many cards in a pack? Sounds like a empty box also may exist.
    Bob is right. Over the years he has trained me to answer to "Hey, you"

There is a box. One sold at auction a couple of years back. But, I still do not think the cards were distributed in packs. I think The Card Collector's Company ended up with whatever Topps produced and sold them via mail offers. But as Bob also knows, I am often wrong

When I visit next month I hope I do not accidentally walk off with his 61 Topps Dice cards

Al
  • I actually ended up with 16 of the greatest moments and the only way they would have ended up in my collection is from my father opening some packs.
    I have been a collector for over 35 years.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    WOW--great stuff seeing that wrapper and knowing it went to such a passionate collector. Bravo! I remember looking at the auction the closing nite as I had bid on it and saying--I'll have to spend $4K on it just to get outbid anyway--so passed. Wonder who else was going for it....
    Julusnc-- would be great to have confirmation of someone buying and opening packs. We had this discussion on 54 too and some guys say they have cards with gum stains, but acquired them from other sellers. No one has reported seeing an unopened pack and I have only seen the one display box and wrapper. Maybe if released in packs it was on a limited test basis and any inventory was sold by mail or through dealers. For me it is an intriguing hobby mystery of sorts

Here is a PSA write up. Note the other mystery about why no Aaron or Clemente in a set from 1971

Text

Al
    Great read bishop on that psa link on this set.

So are Brock and Pepitone still considered toughest. Anyone know what some of top prices for psa 9 have
    been.
    This set is so interesting. Love action shots!
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Musnon, Pepitone and Brock are the toughest. Congratulations to you for becoming #6. I once owned the #1 set for many years and I know the struggles in finding a high end card from this set. PSA 9's range from $1100 for some of the easier copies (Bunning, McDowell to name a few) . Most will run in the $2000 range. I have seen some incredible numbers for the HOFers in 9 but most all of the sales have been off line. I don't want to disclose those numbers but perhaps the buyer might want to share this information. I sold a PSA 7 Munson for $5000 back in 2005.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    That's just a fantastic set congrats on some Gems as well.