Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Jordan sticker showing pack record or mistake

Does anyone know why this pack is selling for so much? It's normally a $100 pack so do the bidders not understand it's an 88 sticker not a 96 sticker?

Jordan pack
Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

Comments

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rtimmer

Does anyone know why this pack is selling for so much? It's normally a $100 pack so do the bidders not understand it's an 88 sticker not a 96 sticker?

Jordan pack

Ryan, I think you meant to say "not an 86 sticker" so you're only adding to the confusionimage

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it probably has to do with the set registry and the Mint 9 mechanical error grade (even though it's not an 86 pack, it'll fill the 86 slot). In addition, that pack also has a long tear along the side which would relegate it to no better than an EX 5 if it were regraded today.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I do know the 86 Fleer pack with the Jordan sticker on back were a shade under $1K a few months ago on BBCE. With the way everything is unbelievably shooting up, it's a $10K pack by now.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    This seems insane to me. The seller is being as transparent as possible explaining that PSA mislabeled the flip and that there is damage to the pack on top of it. Do people actually want to fill a registry slot so badly that they would want to fill it with a mislabeled pack, and a damaged one on top of that?
    Steve
    Originally posted by: slum22

This seems insane to me. The seller is being as transparent as possible explaining that PSA mislabeled the flip and that there is damage to the pack on top of it. Do people actually want to fill a registry slot so badly that they would want to fill it with a mislabeled pack, and a damaged one on top of that?

I would say based on the bidding on this auction, the answer to that question is is yes. As ludicrous as that may be.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Steve, if the seller was being as transparent as possible don't you think he would've had 1988 in the title and not 1986?!?!?! It is after all a 1988 pack and just because the flip says 1986 shouldn't give him carte blanche to call it 1986 in his title.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does this say about the state of collecting today. I seems like for some, it is less about the cards and more about the competition of who has the best registry set.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    ^ Disagree

The seller has been as transparent as possible. Not something he should have to pay to send to get done again.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cert check

I would hate to think someone would buy this and place it in their registry set knowing it isn't a real 1986 pack but when you do the cert check it does still show up in the population totals.

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    The title is misleading. The holder does not contain a 1986 Fleer Basketball wax pack, therefore, anyone who wishes to mess with and subsequently refuse to pay for this auction, can and will. The perceived value of a properly labeled item will somehow become skewed, leading to more speculation and frustration amongst those who actually care about it. The right thing to do would be to cancel the auction. The seller is asking for trouble.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordan pack $4,000

Here is one that sold recently. Maybe the price is just running up because it is Jordan? $415 and $4,000 are pretty far apart.

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector

^ Disagree

The seller has been as transparent as possible.

No, since he has "1986" in the title, but not "1988".
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mjohnatgt

Originally posted by: 1980scollector

^ Disagree

The seller has been as transparent as possible. Not something he should have to pay to send to get done again.

Disagree with you. It is free to return cards to PSA due to mechanical errors, and they reimburse you with credit for your shipping to mail it to them.

The problem with returning this one for reholder is that with the rip in the wrapper it will not grade the same.

James
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then PSA should pay the difference between previous value and current value since it was damaged or graded improperly in the first place.

I don't think the same guarantee applies to packs as it does to cards.
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Then PSA should pay the difference between previous value and current value since it was damaged or graded improperly in the first place.

I don't think the same guarantee applies to packs as it does to cards.

It did at one time (and is the reason PSA was not holdering packs with loose gum for a while), but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Tim might be onto it with the registry angle. That hadn't occurred to me but that or just plain confusion by the bidders on this being the 88 sticker are the only two that would make sense.

.... I almost chocked on my lunch when I saw the '86 Jordan sticker pack sell at $4k too, I had no idea they were going that high now. I think I may test the mark this weekend, I do have a spare.

Yes wow finished at $415 for at best around a $100 pack.
    Originally posted by: rtimmer

Yes wow finished at $415 for at best around a $100 pack.

Let's hope the bidder actually looked at the photos instead of simply reading the misleading auction title.

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny how in the product description the font size is way smaller when it comes to stating the error and damage. I think they were doing the bare minimum and unless I missed it, they never state what it REALLY is. I don't see 1988 mentioned ANYWHERE and the product description is listed as 1986-87 which is not true unless they are saying you are buying the flip, not the pack.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice that he's a keyword spammer? All of the following appears in white text in his description:

1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1061 1962 1963 1964 965 1966 1967 1968

1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989

1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2014 2015 2016

panini fleer topps donruss leaf score opc opee chee playoff chrome bowman psa bgs sgc psa 5 6 7 8 8.5 9 10

BBCE Baseball card exchange steve hart reed d a cardworld

beckett grading

unopened sealed wax cello rack box case pack rare htf le error hall of fame hof

baseball football basketball hockey soccer

NFL superbowl Baltimore ravens cincinnati bengals cleveland browns pittsburgh steelers houston texans indianapolis colts

jacksonville jaguars tennessee titans houston oilers buffalo bills miami dolphins new england patriots

new york jets denver broncos kansas city chiefs oakland raiders san diego chargers st louis la rams seattle seahawks

san francisco 49ers arizona cardinals washington redskins philadelphia eagles new york giant dallas cowboys

tampa bay buccaneers new orleans saints carolina panthers atlanta falcons minnesota vikings green bay packers detroit lions chicago bears

mlb baltimore orioles boston redsox new york yankees tampa bay devil rays toronto blue jays atlanta braves miami marlins

new york mets philadelphia phillies washington nationals chicago whitesox cincinnati reds milwaukee brewers

pittsburgh pirates st louis cardinals houston astros anaheim angels oakland athletics seattle mariners texas rangers

arizona diamondbacks colorado rockies los angeles dodgers san diego padres san francisco giants.

world series mvp vip all star michael air jordan king james lebron kobe bryant shaq shaquille oniel lakers champions 5 time 3 time stephen curry steven nba finals 2016 2015 2014 league mvp finals mvp okc

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics

Brooklyn Nets

New York Knicks

Philadelphia 76ers

Toronto Raptors

Central Division

Chicago Bulls

Cleveland Cavaliers

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Milwaukee Bucks

Southeast Division

Atlanta Hawks

Charlotte Hornets

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Washington Wizards

Western Conference

Southwest Division

Dallas Mavericks

Houston Rockets

Memphis Grizzlies

New Orleans Pelicans

San Antonio Spurs

Northwest Division

Denver Nuggets

Minnesota Timberwolves

Oklahoma City Thunder

Portland Trail Blazers

Utah Jazz

Pacific Division

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings
    Interestingly enough, the auction was also ended a day early by the seller to sell to the high bidder at that time.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain what white text is? I have never heard of it before.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Take your mouse and highlight all of the blank box below the text of the listing, it will show up there, all of the information was written using white letters instead of black letters
    Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
    Oh wow this auction keeps looking worse and worse I feel bad for the buyer.