Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Impossible to find centered vintage RC HOF

I've been trying to find a centered 51 RC's With no crease or wrinkles. No luck! Got me thinking what vintage rookies are impossible to find close 50/50 in decent condition because Mays has to be at the top. Even in a 7 or 8 there always off.

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    48 Berra
    59 Gibson
    75 Brett

Come to mind
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    69 Reggie
    79 Ozzie
    52 Mathews
    71 Blyleven

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    48 Berra

52 Mathews

+1

They are up there. The Mays must have been in a odd spot during the sheet cutting process like those. I know cutters in the past came down on a angle from left to right pushing the stacks of paper on the bottom of the pile over just a hair befor cutting. I would have loved to see this process in person back in the 50's.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're patient, the right centered Mays rookie will come along. It did for me. image

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Ashburn rookies are nearly impossible to find centered.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    1965 Namath
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: shagrotn77
    If you're patient, the right centered Mays rookie will come along. It did for me. image

Pm sent
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not vintage, so not really a valid answer to the question in the OP title, but I will mention the 1988 Procards Vermont Mariners Ken Griffey Jr.

Not only is it hard to find centered, it simply does not exist. The very few in the pop report that do not have an OC qualifier are absolutely instances of the reprint that was released a year or two later, having been misidentified by PSA such that they accidentally labeled the reprint card as the original.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    1979 Ozzie Smith
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 58 Cepeda took me forever to find one centered, and I am still looking for a 64 Niekro centered in PSA 7 (Going on 2 years now)
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The 1967 Seaver rookie is very difficult to find centered and without the annoying tilt cut.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew shag would come along and post his cards.

Everything he has is centered and very high end for the grade.

He is my card collecting hero......well 2nd after Marshal Fogel

Generally when you find these beauties yo pay the price as well.

I wish he would post his 49 Lemon and make my eyes water.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, Shagrotn77 has a fantastic eye for cards. Something money cannot buy. Gorgeous Mays.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    71 blyleven is super tough and the 69 lew alcindor.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the McCovey RC O/C L-R quite often. Lots of problems with that card.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    65T Biletnikoff.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took the liberty to state common issues w/RCs.

Ryan---> centering...print dots in black nameplate...fish eyes in purple team circle
    Rose---> centering and print defects in blue top border as well as red circles
    Seaver---> print fish eyes in black nameplate and tilt cut
    Reggie-->centering and tilt cut
    Bank---> top to bottom centering
    McCovey--->print problems in relatively large green area of card
    Frank Robinson--->image quality and weak coloration
    Koufax--->extraneous print ink in yellow background
    Yaz--->extraneous dirty ink in orange area of card and print dots in red/white/blue banner
    Mantle--->centering and tilt issues
    Maris--->centering and poor image quality (sometimes Maris looks like he has been in the sun too long. Sometimes...Ryan exhibits the same Red Lobster look but not as frequent as Maris)
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to add one: the relative difficulty of finding a perfectly centered oil drip within the Oilers logo on the Gretzky RC.

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    1958 Jim Brown rookie is nearly impossible to find centered.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding 51 Mays there!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I hate it when you get those awefull print marks on cardsimage
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    You don't like butterflies, Jay? image