Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Bad Experience with Raw Autos on eBay

I purchased a raw 1964 Topps Tony Conigliaro autographed card on eBay last month (auction), and promptly sent it to PSA. PSA deemed the autograph to be of "questionable authenticity." The seller (us_caine) was very combative and uncooperative throughout the return/resolution process, and I ended up having to get a refund from eBay directly (as the eCheck refund he issued was declined from his bank).

I later learned via several threads on net54 that the seller, whose name is Jose Tijero (and was banned from net54), has quite an illustrious reputation for dealing in autographed cards of questionable authenticity and not refunding buyers for items not delivered/items deemed not authentic:

Link
Link
Link

Jose recently sold many scarce raw autographed gum cards from this account, including a Tim Horton and a Hank Thompson, so if you happened to be the buyer of one of these cards, you might want to send it out for authentication/take a second look at it.
Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Are you saying they are the same account? I have had good and bad experiences with the seller, but it wasnt Jose to my knowledge
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Jose is the name that was attached to the Paypal account associated with the transaction, and there were some other similarities that make it appear to be the same person.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy to see that you left him the bad feedback he deserved

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I get the autograph in person, I am very sceptical. Even if they are authenticated. The forgers are just so good now.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Sep 22, 2014 Payment To Jose Tijero RefundedThe seller has refunded this payment in full.The seller has refunded this payment in full. ... -$119.07 USD

Sold me a fake 55 don hoak, I'm not sure if it was the same one he sold recently, as I don't have a scan.

Thanks for bring this up, he has been contacting me about signed cards with a different email address
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Tony, Im sending you a PM with information I do not think I can post publicly. I think it will help you out.

Seems like I am unable to send a PM right now. I will when the system allows me to.
    oops
    ok...I think I got it to send. I guess we are no longer allowed to send links in PMs?
    Originally posted by: yankeeno7
    ok...I think I got it to send. I guess we are no longer allowed to send links in PMs?

I didn't get a PM from you.

Originally posted by: Ironmanfan
    I'm happy to see that you left him the bad feedback he deserved

IMF

Believe it or not, Jose sent me a gloating message today that he already got SGC to authenticate the card (which he received back on Monday?), AND he got eBay to remove my perfectly legitimate negative feedback. I spent an hour on the phone with eBay, and though both "upper-level" (supposedly) reps I spoke with agreed that the person who removed the feedback used "poor judgment" and that it should NOT have been removed, that there is no way to restore it.

Long story short, this guy beat me out of the only sliver of satisfaction I hoped to derive from this experience, AND future buyers will not be able to see the negative I left signaling the questionable authenticity of his items.
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Tony, did you think the auto was real and if you did, why would ask for a refund? Also, just because it came back "questionable authenticity" doesn't mean it isn't real. He owes you nothing. Now, if you believe he mislead you in any way then that is a different story.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• If these guys would only spend that amount of time getting an education or a real job. How do they live with themselves.
  • LefthanderLefthander Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Why anyone would buy a raw autograph (that is, not authenticated by PSA/DNA) is beyond me. I've read that anywhere from 50% to 80% of raw autographs being sold are fakes. The only way to know a raw unauthenticated autograph is real is to have it signed by the athlete before your very eyes.
    Originally posted by: KNAPP
    Tony, did you think the auto was real and if you did, why would ask for a refund? Also, just because it came back "questionable authenticity" doesn't mean it isn't real. He owes you nothing. Now, if you believe he mislead you in any way then that is a different story.

I thought it looked "plausible," but wanted to send it to a third-party authenticator while within the 30-day eBay return period. After learning PSA's perspective, I opted to go with the sure refund rather than send it out several more times hoping for one "yes" (especially after I learned that this seller has a reputation for dealing in questionable merchandise).

I think anyone claiming to sell an "authentic autograph" that is not "authentic" is inherently misleading customers.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lefthander

Why anyone would buy a raw autograph (that is, not authenticated by PSA/DNA) is beyond me. I've read that anywhere from 50% to 80% of raw autographs being sold are fakes. The only way to know a raw unauthenticated autograph is real is to have it signed by the athlete before your very eyes.

This. Totally this.

Is this the same Jose that sells fake cellos , some that were graded the TPGs?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lefthander

For the few autos I'm interested in, I actually study them so I can spot most fakes fairly quickly. There are fakes on pack issued autos and TPGs aren't perfect either. Autos are a minefield unless you take time to educate yourself.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Check out ebay seller chaoticdopey and tell me what you see
    Heads up: Same seller put a 1966 Tony Conigliaro up (again, not authenticated), as well as some other pricey autographed gum cards, so beware if you're looking to bid on them:
    1966 Topps Tony Conigliaro "Autograph"
    I don't like the 86 Topps Puckett he has or the 90 Score Bo Jackson shoulder pads card. Bo has refused to sign that image for as long as I can remember making it very tough to find
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyC, why haven't you left negative feedback to warn other potential buyers?

James
  • Originally posted by: jfkheat

James

He did and eBay removed it. See above.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Originally posted by: jfkheat

James

He did and eBay removed it. See above.

OOPS, I guess I should have read the entire thread before making my comment.

James
    The Bo Jackson 1990 Score forgery sold for $30