Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BVG to PSA -- Crossover or Crack?

I would like to cross this over to a PSA holder, but having little to no experience with BVG to PSA, I wasn't sure whether I may be better off cracking this or simply submitting for crossover. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always crack but on that I would try crossover first
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Would you set a minimum of 7? 7.5?

I'm leaning towards sending as a crossover first with a minimum of 7. If it comes back unholdered, I'll crack and submit raw. If it comes back holdered as a PSA 7, I'll probably submit as a review.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't set a minimum above the BVG grade, though I could imagine the laughter from whoever opens the package. It may eventually end up in a 7.5 holder, but there's no way it happens in one shot. From a set as notoriously factory short, I wouldn't crack it, ever, if it doesn't cross within an attempt or two.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent in a factory short Chamberlain and with the white strip showing on the back I think you have a good shot at a standard size card. I realize it isn't a cheap card but I think taking the risk of cracking would be a reasonable gamble. Good luck.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice -- didn't know that the set was notoriously short. Given that fact alone, I'll submit as a crossover, prob with minimum 7.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on winning a beautiful Chamberlain RC. I am risk averse so I would not crack and sub on the first try. Kyle is correct and his set is all over the place on size both tall and short. My main concern would be BVG letting through a card that measures short in the eyes of PSA. In this case I think it is worth a shot at crossing but I agree that it is most appropriate to set the minimum grade at 7 vs 7.5. Based on politics, I don't know that a card of this magnitude gets crossed from a 7 to a 7.5 in one shot. I don't know how much it would help, but the provenance of the high end PWCC sticker may help your cause too. If the card does not cross, I wonder if they will tell you the reason (minimum size vs. minimum grade). If you can find out if the card measures true to PSA on the cross attempt I would feel better then about cracking. I don't know if a PSA 6.5 recoups the cost of this card. It may be that you just have to get the card in a PSA holder and then review from there until you get the grade (or grader) you want.

A question to ponder about PWCC's high end label. I would guess that some of the allure of the certification would be the potential that you are buying a high end for the grade card and as such you may have the possibility of a bump. This makes sense than to pay a premium if you are buying a PSA 7 for example and think you can get a PSA 7.5 or PSA 8 with a review. Similarly, if you buy a BGS 8 and can bump to an BGS 8.5 or 9 then a premium would be understandable. Depending on your view you may feel PSA or BGS/BVG is superior (I believe most on here would think PSA to be superior especially for this or any vintage card). So the question is, if the BVG 7 considered high end for its grade with BVG would a straight cross to a PSA 7 be considered a bump in and of itself?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and congrats on picking up an iconic RC!
    Steve
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that I completed this set in all PSA 7 and above including the Wilt in 7 and the white stripe on the reverse is supposed to be there, so no worries on MC qualifier. It is actually a good sign for the white stripe to show up on back for a well centered card.
    Steve
  • Options
    Great stuff there Steve, thanks for the advice. On the submission, I think I may write in the comments asking to please indicate the reason(s) why the card doesn't cross (if that may be the case). I do this sometimes on reviews, so it makes sense to do it here as well.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Not heavily involved in the hobby any more, but I when I was, I always cracked and submit as raw.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    If you crack and submit be willing to get the MINSIZE rejection.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Always crack for best results. If you're not willing to take that risk, don't buy with intent to get it into a PSA holder in the first place.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    That card will look STUNNING in a PSA holder. I love the centering and overall eye appeal. Very nice pick-up.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RynoandBo
    That card will look STUNNING in a PSA holder. I love the centering and overall eye appeal. Very nice pick-up.

I agree, good luck on the cross.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the reverse horizontally, does the slight discoloration along the top right blue border above the "8" become a factor? Trails/fades to the left into the white area as well. Also a tan spot northwest of the "8"in the white area. Again, looking at the card reverse horizontally. I like the card regardless. Nice pickup. Good luck with the submission.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    That card looks awesome. I would send in the holder first, but if it did not cross I would definitely crack it and hope for a 7.5 or 8.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safest way is crossover first, then crack and submit if it won't cross.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    Safest way is crossover first, then crack and submit if it won't cross.

I agree, especially for a card that valuable. Why chance it unless you have to.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I would definitely put a min grade on there. In the scan on the front, there is a white line below Wilt's jersey and right arm that looks like a print defect (notice how the card below doesn't have this white strip). If you submit it raw, my guess is you get 7 (PD) or 6.5 if you ask for NQ.

• Options
    Uggghhh

1 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1961 Fleer 8 Wilt Chamberlain Card

With this result it seems silly to crack it out -- will probably try at least a few more times with the crossover at PSA 7 min. Open to suggestions though, any thoughts? Think this is a losing battle?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell it as is at an inflated BIN/BO and put the money toward a PSA7/7.5/8 if that's what you want.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's brutal. I am contemplating cracking out or crossing over an iconic as well. I approached it as evaluating the risk/reward. If you crack it out you may get the same or slightly higher grade after a few attempts, but it may never grade anything other than N6 and you will be facing quite the loss.
  • Options
    Bummer. I was hoping this would not be the case. At least you did not crack it out though. If it is an N6 I believe it doesn't cost anything to try again. It may be worth another shot or two as a crossover attempt. I would think it is way too risky to attempt a crack out at this point knowing that an N6 is a likely result. Like someone else suggested, you can always consign to PWCC again and use the funds for a straight 7.
    Steve
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks the white line is a print defect?