Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Separating perforated cards

What is the best way to separate perforated cards for grading? Cutting carefully with scissors or folding and pulling apart?

Shane

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Folding and pulling apart. I don't they will grade them is they are cut.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I am no expert on grading practices since I do not collect that way, but one of the sets I have collected is the 67 Topps Punch Out set. They came in three card perforated strips. I have one unopened pack and an uncut strip with my full captain set. I also happen to have some highly graded cards in my set because that was the way I found them when looking to complete the set.

You can separate the strips by bending and then pulling the cards apart, or by cutting. Evey end card that is bent and pulled should have one smooth edge and one jagged edge ( the perforations are large, unsightly and jagged). The middle cards should have 2 jagged edges

I have some highly graded cards that have two smooth ends. That could only happen if the cards were cut or trimmed. I have no knowledge of PSA's policy on grading perforated cards, but if it is their view perforated cards should not be cut or trimmed, they have not applied that policy consistently as to the 67 Punch Out set.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I have seen them graded both ways, but the pull apart method is more apt to get a better grade IMO. I would point you to look at other stamps on eBay and see if the particular stamp or perforated card is on there and what good grades get. I did a quick search for PSA graded baseball stamps and there were over 2,000 hits. Take a look...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...psa+stamp&_sacat=0
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. That helps.

Shane

• Options
    Never cut with scissors!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a perforated card come back that had been cut, but you could still see the tabs. Card was not effected by the trimming. Came back "evid of trim" sent it in again and it came back an 8 or 9!

I would bend the card back and forth at the perforation and tear it.

The 67 punchouts are very thick cards, something like this might be difficult to tear?!?!?!?

Either way it seems to be a judgement call at PSA.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set