Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

N1: Evidence of Trimming

So I just got my email saying my most recent sub was graded, packaged and mailed. While looking it over, I got one with N1 designation. I have seen many authentic but altered cards, but this is the first time one of mine has come back this way. It was a 1954T Gil Hodges that I picked up at a pawn shop in a collection of cards. I submit 14 other cards from that pick and they were all fine.

My questions is, what should I do with the card. Should I just hold onto the card and keep it for my own raw collection to look at and admire? I was going to sell the card once I got it back, but now that I know it has been trimmed, I can't sell it without disclosing it. Will anyone really buy a raw card that is being advertised as evidence of trimming? I think this might just be a lost cause, but wanted to get y'all's feedback.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Depending on what grade you originally thought it may be
    would determine a cause of action, if you felt it was a higher grade
    I'd think about resubmitting, I mean, unless it's an obvious hack job
    PSA could be wrong...

Good for you.
  • Options
    While you'd take a hit on the realized sale price, there's still a market for trimmed or altered cards.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be so sure that it's been trimmed.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Best plan: re-sub.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Even if you sell it raw with the disclosure the buyer will probably turn around and sell it without the disclosure and the cycle continues.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Thanks y'all - as usualy some great info! Is it worth it to resub it. I don't want to keep paying for grading, if it doesn't get slabbed.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could provide a pic of it when it returns or if you have one
    now even better, off the top of my head with good centering it would be
    worth it if it would 6, so so centering 7.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    In most instances, the value added by grading is larger than the cost of 3-4 submissions (assuming $6 each - so $18-$24 total cost). Resub.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cards can come back MIN SIZE or EOT and then another time on another day with another grader they get a grade. Then another time they can get another grade.

In college, I once submitted the same paper to two different professors. One gave it a C. The other gave it an A. Grading is grading. Subjective. If you truly believe in a card and want to see it in a certain holder, be persistent, and usually it works out.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    Recently I cracked a BVG 7 71T Munson and came back from PSA EOT. I resubbed it three months later and came back PSA 7.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options
    Thanks for the great feedback guys! I get the shipment in today hopefully and I will take a look at the card. If it is not apparent that the card has been altered, I'll resub it. In that same pick, I had one suprise me and get a higher than expected grade and one that was lower. I subbed an 89 UD Jr RC that I felt was a 10, and they graded it a 9. On the other side of things, I subbed a 53T Dom DiMaggio that I thought was going to be a mid-grade, but it came back a 7. Overall, I was pleased with the results.
  • Options
    Here is a copy of the card...

• Options
    In looking at other examples of PSA 1954 Gil Hodges the card does look to be trimmed on the sides. Just my amateur opinion though