Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

catalog factory boxes of the 80's

hello I am asking about jc pennys baseball boxes of the eighties. has anyone bought one and what kind of condition are the cards in. are they like same cards that topps put in vending boxes like they did in the eighties.

Comments

• Options
    It has been 32 years, but the JCPenney catalog 1983 Topps set that I received at Christmas of 1983 was in a plain white 800-count box that was no different than the 800-count boxes you'd find at the card shop today. I don't remember the condition of the cards out of the box, but I still have the set and despite having spent hundreds of hours messing around with those cards over time the set is in pretty nice shape. So I'd guess that it was sharp right out of the box.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first set of cards was the brown boxed 1985 Topps set I got for Christmas that year.

You made my day bringing back that memory.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they sold Topps sets thru 1987.I bought 3 of each from Al Rosen (Mr. Mint) in 1988. The 1983

sets each had a particular sheet missing but had an extra of another. The 1984 sets were complete.

The 1985 sets were like the 1983's. The cards were mint with some a few centering issues. They all

came in brown 800 ct. boxes. The year was printed on the top of each set. I also remember buying

sheet sets of 1986-1989 from Sam's wholesale. $20 each, I think I bought 5 of each year.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, the memories of the JCPenney and Sears catalogs! Great memories!