Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My card and memorabilia pickups...Enjoy!!..Update...my Clemente Rookie - 8...!!

I've thoroughly enjoyed the collections and pickups of those who have shared with the CU community.....A couple weeks ago someone shared with me an awesome card I probably would never have seen and def never will own......Didnt really know it existed but yet now it's my favorite....ugh.......

So I decided in the spirit of giving, thanks and sharing (we need it in these times with Paris etc) that I'd share my collection....Because I still enjoy looking at that other card (u know who u are)

I hope some will get the enjoyment that I get by just sitting and staring at a perfectly centered, vibrant piece of cardboard....at least you guys here in the CU understand vs out in the real world...image

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to post an overview of some cards but photo bucket is so hit or miss with allowing me to edit...ideas?......About 9 months ago I pretty much sold off all of my opened and have been converting them to Mantles and other cards/stuff. Because they were taking up too much space or were just sitting in a dark cabinet so really didnt look at them much. Also, the boxes I did need were getting way out of my price range.....So Ill start off with this card which some here are familiar with....and may have even "owned"..ha..

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us...1_zpsgaumnhhx.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Damn!
    Here I posted this in one of the monthly pickups.....I just love the centering and can just sit and stare at it....I don't know why......Plus this Fisk is so difficult to find centered.

(sorry Im not tech proficient and couldn't add it to the previous post...patience)[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us...7_zpssceceehm.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Wow! That Fisk is wicked!

(I mean, the Mantle's okay too, but ya know, Yankees. image)

Here are a couple "wooden" ones....Ive never been a fan of this one....mostly because I could never find a decent one...one morning I decided to look for something else.....oh, it showed up on the "Front Ebay page"...where they just show 50-70 random items that you may be interested in...saw the price and wondered what kind of card would deserve that kind of price...I think some were negotiating on the "make an offer" I learned later...I just hit the BIN because just loved the look...probably a lesson in there somewhere image

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us...7_zpstug9mtea.jpg.html]image[/URL]

This one I got lucky on and wasn't even looking for it at the time.....mostly because Ive never had luck...either way off center or chipped but usually not even close.

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us...7_zpsgiug3qrw.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    I'm speechless. I can see why you just sit and stare at them. Top notch for sure!!
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming!
    Steve
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are living up to your sigline, Rob, with those beauties, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1956 Mantle is a thing of beauty.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn is right!! You should charge admission to look at those!!! Great cards and yes I wish more collectors would share. Thanks for sharing.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Rob ... those are AMAZING! Thanks for sharing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • All of those cards are incredible. My favorite is the '55 Bowman because like you said it is impossible to find in that kind of condition. I love the wooden Mantles because of how challenging they are to find with great eye appeal. Mission accomplished. Enjoy!

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking cards. You need to post the Red Heart Mantle here too.

James
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the 62 Mantle and that is a great example. On the '56 lets just say that is my favorite year and card. Awesome stuff and thanks for sharing. Hoping I have something to share in a few days with the board image

KC
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    This thread's so hot it's smokin'.

Nice cardboard!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    extremely nice fisk ya caught there!

using live or artificial?
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice cards! I would be staring at them all day too!

• belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    things of beauty!!! Congrats.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very nice!!

congrats!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Thanks everyone for the kind words....Some have PM'd me their cards which abs blow mine away but won't post theirs for one reason or another. Which I understand. For those who didnt read my initial post, a buddy shared a stunning card which i can't tell you how much i enjoy looking (and Ill never own one similar, ever..sigh)...thats when i realized how others might enjoy viewing some of these.

So next...one of my favorites...prob because i started to put together a '65 set starting at 16-17 y.o. I actually had a '65 8 but this one is so much better centered. At the time it was priced kind of crazy....But looking at it now, it was worth the extra money....you guys understand image......Im very happy with the '65..(and the pink is more vibrant than in the scan..hmm)

Again I got lucky..another one I can just stare at....I know, prob a little weird

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us..._zpsroog9ux9.jpeg.html]image[/URL]
    seebelow, we are cut from the same jib my man...I can do it all day long and that is another beauty above.
    BTW..again thanks for the very kind words....Better to post here than taking them to the Thanksgiving dinner table. Who wouldn't enjoy the cardboard as much as you guys......I posted in hopes that others would share even more...i know you guys in particular have some unbelievable cards..I follow EACH member that had replied in the first page....for you guys, its deciding which one of your museum pieces to share....they are very much appreciated!!!
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Amazing cards buddy! I want them all!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
    I know you do...and the thing is..i have a feeling that you will, eventually...image...you already got 3 or 4(?) of them

and thanks, but they're nothing compared to yours...sigh..your collection makes my meager collection depressing..
    Thanks again for sharing, and will post some in a day or two now that I am back in the country. I am gearing up for a Man Vs. Food worthy Thanksgiving feast so have to rest up to create room for some carbs. BTW - does anyone else realize that this is about the only public message board where someone can post a photo of a hot female and it gets passed over in hopes of seeing more high end cards image
  • graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Great cards, and I'm glad you're sharing. I also wish more members would share, and not just the great, killer high-grade stuff, which is awesome, but I also enjoy seeing lower graded beauties and cards that are meaningful for one reason or another to the collector, and are shared with a story. I'll look forward to seeing more.
    KC..dont worry, I commented about the "staring poster" thru PM.

graygator...you can feel free to post/share on here or thru a different thread, Nov pickups..thanks for the kind words.

Ok, the next one Ill have to give credit to JFKheat...never really knew or appreciated Red Heart cards until I happened upon his thread of his collection. Its awesome and you should def scroll thru his.

I got this one while looking for a '54 card when the Red Hearts really caught my eye. With Mantle prices getting crazy this may be the only '54 that Ill ever have vs Bowman. But in my opinion its a great looking card. Maybe a little off T/B but great L/R. Looked even better once I got it in hand.

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us...2_zpsdeayldfr.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    KC..dont worry, I commented about the "staring poster" thru PM.
    graygator...you can feel free to post/share on here or thru a different thread, Nov pickups..thanks for the kind words.

Ok, the next one Ill have to give credit to JFKheat...never really knew or appreciated Red Heart cards until I happened upon his thread of his collection. Its awesome and you should def scroll thru his.

I got this one while looking for a '54 card when the Red Hearts really caught my eye. With Mantle prices getting crazy this may be the only '54 that Ill ever have vs Bowman. But in my opinion its a great looking card. Maybe a little off T/B but great L/R. Looked even better once I got it in hand.

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us...2_zpsdeayldfr.jpg.html]image[/URL]

That is a beautiful 54 - what a great pickup. Cards always look better in hand, and I was joking with another collector earlier today via text that if you want to make one of your cards look better just sell it. Had to move one of my big boys today to cover part of a major purchase and card looked so good once I had it in hand and in the daylight image

Wow
    Here are a few of mine that I enjoy having in my collection.

1956 Mantle PSA 8 - searched for a year to find a nice one, and finally nabbed this one a year ago. One of my favorite cards.

1956 Mantle PSA 8.5 - a monster of a card and was tough to find. This one looks like a 9 all day.

1953 Mantle PSA 5 - this one I picked up after learning the finer points of finding great cards no matter the grade from Matt (DM23HOF). Would have to spend $30-40k more to find a comparable one in terms of eye appeal.

Might have one more to share tomorrow - he might get his own thread image

KC

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat
    Here are a few of mine that I enjoy having in my collection.

1956 Mantle PSA 8 - searched for a year to find a nice one, and finally nabbed this one a year ago. One of my favorite cards.

1956 Mantle PSA 8.5 - a monster of a card and was tough to find. This one looks like a 9 all day.

1953 Mantle PSA 5 - this one I picked up after learning the finer points of finding great cards no matter the grade from Matt (DM23HOF). Would have to spend $30-40k more to find a comparable one in terms of eye appeal.

Might have one more to share tomorrow - he might get his own thread image

KC

Those are some gorgeous Mantles, that 53 is a stunner in a 5!

One more to share? Heritage pickup I presume? image
    keep'em coming!

but i know this is an actual baseball card forum and community but be prepared for the backlash later down the road for "showing off" or posting "big boy" cards.

apparently it became flashy to actually show something off or be proud of something in a forum that is about cardboard.

kinda crazy, but reason why i don't post certain pick ups anymore.

just don't feel the reason to hand the trolls ammo.

speaking of which, haven't heard from warriors8 in a while....
    KC, welcome back...think I might have an idea what you're bringing...excited to see.
    Need to scan it better so it loads on photo bucket - a tiny piece is getting cut off the bottom. Should be an easy fix, and should have it in hand tomorrow. My wife better look surprised on Christmas morning!
    drop the 311, i mean 411 on us.
    Ok, lets bring the PSA down a notch..Here is one that Ive always pursued since I was a little kid in 1980, in various forms. Even then I loved the "action" photo. You can just feel the power and speed ready to be unleashed. Looking up the box scores to see how many stolen bases Rickey was at. I remember trading for him so I eventually had a small stack in my grubby little hands. When I returned to the hobby in my mid-teens I immediately went looking for a quality one. I def remember paying $100 for a nr mint one. Looking back, that was so much money for me. What the heck was I thinking. Does that amount sound right? Maybe 20 or 50?

CLASSIC EXAMPLE....This one shows that I don't buy every card according to the flip....Saved a ton of money and just as happy with this 8.5 vs a 9 or 10. A little bit off T/B. But it brings me just as much joy as any higher flip. And no plans to buy a higher PSA one.

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us..._zpsd0ep9cdp.jpeg.html]image[/URL]
    The Rickey above was scanned with maximum resolution....boy, which i just noticed shows everything...... so thats lint, couple spots etc on the scanner showing up..the background "clubhouse" is clean and no spots....Heck, even then his signature was cool to look at. Even in his windup, he's taking his hand off the bat....Rickey being Rickey.

Looking at it magnified Im still perfectly happy with the 8.5....the way I see it, is that money I saved directly into my pocket (vs getting a 9 or 10)......

...Im also noticing that the plastic "frost" makes all 4 corners look soft on a few of my scans....theyre def sharper than they appear.
  • I'm getting to appreciate the subtle differences in the same year Mantles. It's like they are becoming part of a family. And that I would recognize them again should they pop up elsewhere or at another time by their finer points. That 1953 Mantle is only a 5? You saved a lot at the purchase point now may be the time to resubmit.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 53 Mantle PSA 5 is my kind of card. Paying PSA 5-6 money for a card that would look just fine in a PSA 8 holder.
  • Originally posted by: seebelow
    Ok, lets bring the PSA down a notch..Here is one that Ive always pursued since I was a little kid in 1980, in various forms. Even then I loved the "action" photo. You can just feel the power and speed ready to be unleashed. Looking up the box scores to see how many stolen bases Rickey was at. I remember trading for him so I eventually had a small stack in my grubby little hands. When I returned to the hobby in my mid-teens I immediately went looking for a quality one. I def remember paying $100 for a nr mint one. Looking back, that was so much money for me. What the heck was I thinking. Does that amount sound right? Maybe 20 or 50?

CL*****IC EXAMPLE....This one shows that I don't buy every card according to the flip....Saved a ton of money and just as happy with this 8.5 vs a 9 or 10. A little bit off T/B. But it brings me just as much joy as any higher flip. And no plans to buy a higher PSA one.

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us..._zpsd0ep9cdp.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

This one and the Mantle 5 is proof that you can get a high quality card for much less money. Other than the flip who could tell the difference? Except the wallet, which is a whole lot heavier. Or used to buy more cards!
  • jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JBrules
    The 53 Mantle PSA 5 is my kind of card. Paying PSA 5-6 money for a card that would look just fine in a PSA 8 holder.

That 53 Mantle is perfect, especially considering it saves a small fortune.

All the cards in this thread are exceptional. I just need to figure out how to post pictures with this new format. Hasn't worked any time I've tried.

Originally posted by: jmb
    Originally posted by: JBrules

That 53 Mantle is perfect, especially considering it saves a small fortune.

All the cards in this thread are exceptional. I just need to figure out how to post pictures with this new format. Hasn't worked any time I've tried.

Thank you for the nice comments, and the PSA 5 might be the last card in my collection I would be able to part with. Love the artwork and image, and also probably because I would not be able to replace it without spending $30-40k. Back in 1997-98 I owned a PSA 8 that today I have no doubt would be an 8.5. Had great centering, sharp corners, and a perfect bottom red corner. This was pre internet and scanners, but I did make a photocopy of it in case I ever came across it again - below is the photo and wrinkles are from the paper.

In regards to having troubles posting photos on here if you have photobucket it should be the same as before. Select the photo you want to attach, hit select all, copy, and then paste it in the post. Once in the post remove everything outside the [IMG] brackets and you are good. Hope this helps.

• jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    As a kid I was always enamored of the Goudey cards and the "older" players. If I ever did decide to put a set together it would be the 1933 Goudeys minus Lajoie.
    However, my 2 favorite cards of all time are the 34 Goudey Gehrigs, especially #61. Here are my PSA4 and 5 Iron Horses:

imageimage

Looking to add a few Bambinos.

Edit: Thanks for the tip KC.
    Love those Gehrig's. Those are next on my list in PSA 4-7 depending on eye appeal plus a 33 Goudey Ruth or two.
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    This is turning into an ex-Yankees thread - love it! Excellent eye appeal all around. Both '53 Mantles are stellar. The Rickey RC in any condition brings me back to a time where that card was every kid's white whale on my block. The Goudey Gehrig/Ruth cards are fantastic and they jump near the top of my extensive "wish list" every time someone posts a scan.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
    Another favorite that isn't ridiculously priced....It's a sharp looking action picture of a power pitcher...coming right at you....def one of my favorites.....can you imagine standing in the batters box?

[URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us..._zpsrdbwokjy.jpeg.html]image[/URL]
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    Another favorite that isn't ridiculously priced....It's a sharp looking action picture of a power pitcher...coming right at you....def one of my favorites.....can you imagine standing in the batters box?
    [URL=http://s985.photobucket.com/us..._zpsrdbwokjy.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

As a kid I loved this card and set. I show kids on my team this photo to show them the correct power position when pitching - right hand facing away from your body, back elbow high, front elbow and front foot pointing towards home. Would love to find a nice 8.5 of this card centered.

• One of my back burner projects is the 74 Topps HOF registry. Hoping to snag a nice Ryan 8 just like that someday.
    Posted this is another thread I started but wanted to share here since I mentioned I would. Told some I would have a big card to share and here she is.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Very nice cards. I'm glad you shared them.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06