Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Secret Santa 2015 -Last Call--Bonus SS !!

Greetings and Happy Turkey Day--if there is anyone else thinking about getting n please do so by tonite--9 PM. This is really going to be a nice SS year.

As an added bonus a true Secret Santa will be sending out 3 SS gifts to random participants regardless of category--though the gift will be in the +$100 category. So sign up boyz!

Groupings

2) Gifts of $40 - $100

3) Over $100

a new thread will be started tomorrow morning on when to ship etc...

Secret Santas 2015

$100 +

1. flatfoot816

2. galaxy27 PM on info Recv'd

3. yankeesman PM on info Recv'd

4. maddux69 PM on info Recv'd

5. dragnet PM on info Recv'd

6. belz PM on info Recv'd

7. pjb103183 PM on info Recv'd

8. Vintagefun PM on info Recv'd

9. curch PM on info Recv'd

10. BeRoyalKC PM on info Recv'd

11. Slum22 PM on info Recv'd

12. Sabrgeek

13. Cpettimind PM on info Recv'd

14. 1980scollector PM on info Recv'd

15. Hammerfan44 PM on info Received

16. NJ80sBBC PM on info Recv'd

17. JFKHeat PM on info Recv'd

18. Orioles Pm Recv'd

$40-$100

1. EASports Pm on info Recv'd

2. shu4040

3. Begsu1013 PM on info REcv'd

4. Estil PM on info Recv'd

5. DB*****ette PM on info Recv'd

6. That Guy PM Recv'd

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely in if this goes down ($100+)
  • Options
    I'm in. $40-$100 range. I will take requests in what the gifted likes / collects.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Id like to...this could be great....but its my first time so what were the common problems in the past? Like, obv, don't send 50 $2 cards to clean out your collection, how do you match preferences or just wing it?

thanks for being the administrator!!!

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Seebelow nailed my questions (concerns). This forums has been so incredibly valuable to me I definitely want to give back in a material way.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I'm in!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for the $100 plus if we get off the ground.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for 100+ as well. If need be Manny, I can help you with elf duties!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Good to pair people up with what they collect.
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea. Count me in as well (Over $100)!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I too am a newbie and would love to participate...put me down for over 100 category..thx for organizing.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    good morning everyone. Good start to the thread. Let's get more people involved. Most common problem has been people who are relatively new sending garbage out and getting filet in return. As stated it's more about giving but no one ever likes to get hosed. Happy to see the over $100 category getting some love
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    ive participated for the past 2 years and it has been really fun...count me in(100+)
  • Options
    bump for list
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I'll go 100+
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for organizing.

Just as a counterpoint the different price levels feels a little icky this year. Yes inevitably some people can afford more than others but the splitting of the board into different levels doesn't feel like get right holiday spirit. I'm in though. Deciding where I'll go.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    hi flatfoot, i realize by this tues is limiting...and Thanksgiving is here etc...perhaps move the deadline to the following tues/weds in order to get more participants? IDK.

Also, will there be a list of what people would like in general? Since currently the participants looks limited id hate to not have something they would not like and just send them what would appear random. Albeit, quality. Ex....100 bucks worth of Wacky Packages to what really would be the wrong person..image

and thanks again..wonderful gesture.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will start it out and let my collecting focus be known: Greg Maddux- looking to add more to my basic set as well as oddball items. Hank Aaron signed Topps cards- currently have 54, 55, 56, 57 and 76. Been focusing on Mantle as of late- just snagged the big one image

Thanks for putting this together Manny!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: shu4040

Thanks for organizing.

Just as a counterpoint the different price levels feels a little icky this year. Yes inevitably some people can afford more than others but the splitting of the board into different levels doesn't feel like get right holiday spirit. I'm in though. Deciding where I'll go.

I understand we have never done it this way before--but I think the response thus far to it has been positive. Not trying to split the board and don't think it will. Hope you're in!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: shu4040
    Thanks for organizing.

+1 to all of the above.

Maybe since the $100+ is popular we can split it up two ways? One group for $100+ and everyone else at a minimum of $20 (or another low amount)? More participants this way and those looking to increase their chances of not receiving "bad" gifts can signup for the larger tier. I am honestly happy with whatever my Secret Santa sends and will probably signup for the lower amount and end up sending more anyways.

edit to add: I also think that whichever group people go with, their name shouldn't be displayed for all to see. If someone wants to go in the $100+ level they should PM the OP and the OP should match those people up behind closed doors. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Totally cool...can't wait to give something great. My interests are pretty simple. I like to open packs/boxes where there's a chance at something great...I also collect hof auto modern cards...I also have a small collection of 80s PSA rookie cards of cool dudes like bo, Ripken, bonds, Clemens, McGwire etc. Of course anything mantle is always fun..this will be fun to see what everyone gets.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    You can bump me into the $100 slot.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in. PM sent. Thanks for setting this up Manny.
    Steve
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

Maybe since the $100+ is popular we can split it up two ways? One group for $100+ and everyone else at a minimum of $20 (or another low amount)? More participants this way and those looking to increase their chances of not receiving "bad" gifts can signup for the larger tier. I am honestly happy with whatever my Secret Santa sends and will probably signup for the lower amount and end up sending more anyways.

edit to add: I also think that whichever group people go with, their name shouldn't be displayed for all to see. If someone wants to go in the $100+ level they should PM the OP and the OP should match those people up behind closed doors. Just a suggestion.

I think that $40 is a pretty reasonable amount for 95% of the people on the CU boards. As for showing the names-- it gives a person a good chance to see who they may want to get connected with. I've already received 3 PMs form members who want to send to certain people in the $100+ club.

• Options
    Originally posted by: flatfoot816

I think that $40 is a pretty reasonable amount for 95% of the people on the CU boards. As for showing the names-- it gives a person a good chance to see who they may want to get connected with. I've already received 3 PMs form members who want to send to certain people in the $100+ club.

I see. It's definitely different than previous years. I will signup but still thinking about which price group. Thanks for putting this together!
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for $40 - 100.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for th 40/100. Thanks

• Options
    In at whatever level is needed

Rich
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    To seebelow and nj80s, I see you have some open questions...

I typically plan to spend at least the minimum on something the person wants. There may be times when you luck out and have a good match...but I always go in expecting to spend the minimum. Once I feel they'll be relatively happy, that's when I look at some of the items I have to doll it up a bit, and put my own influence on the minority (bonus) part of the gift.

I hope to see you guys join.

Also, it'd be great to have partners identified by Wednesday, so we can take advantage of Black Friday and/or the eBay Bucks I'm expecting this week.

Looking forward to another great CU SS.

Thanks Manny!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    What the heck, I'll go ahead and through my hat in the ring! image $40-$99 range.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Hook me up in the $100 plus group
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    If someone is interested in Korean baseball cards, in exchange for Mattingly material, feel free to respond here and I'll join the $40-$100 group.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    i'd like to get creative in the $40/$100 club.
  • Options
    good morning gents--

list updated for all participants thru Monday morning. I will make the pairings no later than Weds morning so you can take advantage of Black Friday, eBay bucks etc.

If you have not sent me your wish list and other info please do. Sent a PM out to all who have signed up.
  • Options
    Also--if you have a registry set that you are looking for additions--please identify your registry set so I can inform your SS
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    100+

Manny, thanks for doing this. It has always been fun.

Only suggestion- I would make is each participant should upload pictures of what they receive. My favorite part of it is to see what others got.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Hee hee, don't forget to mark "Does not suck" for those who sent their presents! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Pm sent
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector
    100+

Manny, thanks for doing this. It has always been fun.

Only suggestion- I would make is each participant should upload pictures of what they receive. My favorite part of it is to see what others got.

I agree!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    I'm in, 40-100.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: flatfoot816

I see. It's definitely different than previous years. I will signup but still thinking about which price group. Thanks for putting this together!

Still waiting on your particaption with all the suggestions.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Hi Manny, count me in for $100+ and thank you for organizing!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    Happy Turkey Day!

bumpage for new Bonus Secret Santa!!

need to hear from Sabregeek--shu4040--on your info.

Thanks!
  • Options
    This is always my favorite thread of the year. However, for somebody to be sending out Extra SS gifts is pretty cool stuff. It just reminds you we have special people here. Whoever receives them post the items. That has always been my favorite part of it. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have watched this SS for the last few years but never joined in. Add me to the $100 plus list.

James
  • Options
    Stumbled on the SS thread last year before I joined and thought "how awesome is this place?" Very psyched to be a small part of it all. And just incredibly cool that someone is playing extra SS with the bonus gifts.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: vintagefun

To seebelow and nj80s, I see you have some open questions...

I typically plan to spend at least the minimum on something the person wants. There may be times when you luck out and have a good match...but I always go in expecting to spend the minimum. Once I feel they'll be relatively happy, that's when I look at some of the items I have to doll it up a bit, and put my own influence on the minority (bonus) part of the gift.

I hope to see you guys join.

Also, it'd be great to have partners identified by Wednesday, so we can take advantage of Black Friday and/or the eBay Bucks I'm expecting this week.

Looking forward to another great CU SS.

Thanks Manny!

Thank you for the insight! Now you got me thinking about what unopened I will add from my PC to top off the gift.

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Flatfoot PM sent.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    i'm in for $100+ category. PM sent
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Although I will not be participating this year, I can't wait to see all the gifts that you guys give and receive. This is definitely one of my favorite threads of the year. I have to say that I was amazed at the generosity of my SS in the past years.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.