Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Steph Curry player collection

In honor of opening night with my Warriors kicking off the season playing the Pelicans I am starting a new thread featuring my Stephen Curry collection. It is actually a pretty small collection, but hopefully it will grow this season. Quick background, I am a Warriors fan since the Run TMC days. My favorite player growing up was Tim Hardaway. I believe his "Die Hard" poster is still hanging in my old room at my parents' house. After the Chris Webber trade, it was a rough 2 decades (drafting Joe Smith over Kevin Garnett, Todd Fuller over Kobe and Adonal Foyle over Tracy McGrady over three consecutive drafts didn't help), but it has been exciting watching their resurgence. The best part has been sharing my love of basketball and collecting with my son. We rip modern basketball boxes together and our biggest hit was one of the cards later in this thread. My son's favorite player by far is Steph Curry, so it has been fun buying Steph Curry cards for him. He loves the autographed cards but at 7 years old is not concerned too much about how much any card is worth (which is how it should be). He just knows not to mess up the corners when he pulls a Curry out of a packimage

I wish I would have gotten a lot more Curry cards before his MVP season as a lot of his Auto cards have largely grown out of my price range. I do hope to add a lot of his RC's over the coming season and hopefully self submit a nice collection of tens. A cool thing about my collection is that so far all of the PSA cards have been self submitted. I just bought my first already graded PSA Curry card but my goal is to try and self submit as many as possible.

Without further ado, here are the cards I have so far. Like most of my player collection threads, I will keep adding updates to the first post as I get new cards and bump the thread with newest cards pictured along with commentary in the latest post (this helps me have a timeline of when I got what). As always, thanks for reading as far as you have and following along!

Steve

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    The Past and Present Auto was an eBay find and I really like the clean design of the card. The Elite Turn of The Century Auto is my son's favorite (and mine) because it was pack pulled. He was through the moon when he pulled it out of a pack. I sent it in for grading along with the Past & Present a little later and those two were the first graded cards in his collection. He may have been as excited to have two slabbed cards "like Daddy's" as he was to pull the Elite Auto in the first placeimage The Prizm auto was another nice eBay find. I have been lucky with my Curry Autos purchased from eBay as I have graded all five of them and 4 have come back Gems!

The Absolute Material RC Auto is probably the most valuable Curry card in our collection. I was disappointed in the 9 as I really thought it was a Gem but it is still a nice looking card. The Prestige light blue Auto is numbered to 100 and was also an eBay find. I've got the matching base Prestige card in 10 and it is my most recent pick up as it was in my last sub. I do wish Curry had a better signature but I guess he needs to save his energy for all the threes.
    Steve
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    I don't own any basketball cards, but looking at yours makes me want to collect them. Draymond is my #1 hero. Steph a close 2nd.

My son and I love the warriors. Curry lives about 2 miles from us in our town. Steph and his wife are very active in the community. Dude does everything right. Very humble and polite, but an absolute assassin on the court.

How about when he told the press he wants to stay in Oakland; one year before his free agency! Who does that? Gotta love him just for that. Lebron did the exact opposite, holding Cleveland hostage while he embarrassed the city by selecting Miami on national TV.

We'll be watching tonight's ring ceremony.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Here's my best Curry rookie card:

• Loving this thread. His opening night was other worldly.
  • Stephen Curry repeat mvp and warriors repeat champions you heard it here first!

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Sdub
    Dude does everything right. Very humble and polite, but an absolute assassin on the court.
    He gets all of that (including the cold blood on the court) from his parents. I absolutely loved his dad when he was at Virginia Tech and through his NBA career.
    Sdub--Yes, he is very easy to root for, as is this whole Warriors team in general. Steph and the whole team are off to a great start this season. By all accounts, he seems to be very much a solid citizen as well as a great player. That is exactly the type of guy I feel comfortable building a PC around. Of course, most of us never really know any of the athletes or celebrities we see, but I am happy that it seems like the guys I collect: Steph Curry, Durant, Anthony Davis and Andrew Luck seem to be solid people as well as players.

PSASAP--That card is amazing! That would be the best Curry RC in just about any collection and IMO definitely the best non-Auto RC. I am not super versed in all the modern issues. Is that the one that is numbered to 50?

Warriors8--I am rooting for you to be correct. If the first 5 games are indicative of the next 77 then you may be 2 for 2 in your predictions.

GDM67--Yup, I remember Dell. His parents definitely seemed like they did an outstanding job in raising their kids.

I hope to have my next addition to this thread in the next day or two!
    Steve
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    hes gonna hit the 3 pt record if anything

awesome collection...keep us updated...hes a great one to follow his entire career
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    Watch the Warriors play a few games; then watch two different NBA teams play, and it's like watching high schoolers. The Warriors have that flow and chemistry that is required homework for any prospective baller.

Seems like the rest of the NBA tried to load up on 3-point shooters this year. Trying to copy the Warriors is a risky business. You can't buy heart, attitude, chemistry and unselfishness.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
    Hi Steve,
    Yes, the gold refractor Curry is numbered to 50, my card is 48/50. I like the card because Steph has a big smile on his face and he looks like he's twelve years old. What an awesome year he's having so far, just hope he stays healthy. Go Dubs! Here's a better pic of the card:

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Thanks Doug! You're the best!
    Steve
    Here's my only signed Curry rookie. It's a 2009-10 Limited Freshman Jumbo Jersey Numbers Prime Signatures card.

• pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Amazing player and amazing collection. The story about your fandom shows you are a true fan and not hopping on the bad wagon. I do have one in my eBay store. My eBay user id is qualitycardservice.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
    PSASAP--!!!!!! That Topps Chrome Gold card is the card to own IMO. My favorite card of his and if I had an extra $4k or whatever it would take to buy that card I would love to own it someday. I hope to at least have the regular Topps and Topps Gold in PSA holders soon.

Pauldrolkees--That National Treasures Auto card is sick. According to the Beckett article that is the most valuable of his RC's to own. Great job getting that. His cards have gone through the roof with his start to the season.

1980scollector--Do you still have the Curry card? If you drop a link to your listings I will check it out.

Not much compared to the glittery cardboard flashed by others on here, but this was my latest addition. I actually picked it up a few weeks ago but haven't had time to update threads with work and family. I picked up some raw RC's of Curry. Most of them are not gradable but I have two that are on their way to Newport. Fingers crossed for a couple of 10's popping for me in a few months.

Steve
    Nice pick up Steve. I've been reviewing the Curry Rookie link in this thread and love this card. I also have taken notice of the Bowman rookie card. That one also appeals to me for some reason. And those Bowman boxes are cheap.

I still haven't bought any basketball, but the Warriors are pulling me in, and I don't think I will be able to help myself.

I'm still not comfortable pulling the trigger with the +10,(WTF, horrendous marketing), brands from Panini and a few from UD. Do I go for current product, or unopened from last few years. Do I go for high end (Immaculate, Flawless) or middle (national Treasures) or low end (NBA Hoops). Or, should I just start buying rookie cards of all the Warriors?

My decision would be a lot easier if one of those brands had boxes with slightly more hits for your local team. That would make it a no-brainer for my son and I.

If someone does a "for dummies" book on modern basketball cards, I'd buy it.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
    JB--I agree with the difficulty in decisions with regard to the multitude of products Panini floods the market with. My favorite RC's for him are the Topps and the Bowman (I like the old school feel for both of those). I like the Topps more because it is a better picture of him. One of the cards I am subbing this month is a very sharp Bowman (white border) RC so hopefully I will be able to pull a 10 for that and cross that card off the list. My goal is to eventually get as many of the cards in that Beckett article into slabs as possible. For the lower dollar ones, I am hoping to self submit them for 10's. As for your question of what to do. I would just jump in. This team is too fun not to get some cardboard to commemorate. If I was in your shoes I would jump in buying singles of just the Warriors stars. Aside from Curry, you can still get the rest of them on the cheap right now. Klay, Festus, Harrison and your boy Draymond all have RC's in 2012, so that is not a bad year for you to try and rip for fun. For me, it is always so demoralizing when I go through a box and I am stuck with all these extra cards I don't want. That's why I have gone mainly with just buying singles for my player collections of Curry, Anthony Davis and KD. PM me if you ever want to talk hoops cardboard. I am far from an expert on this modern stuff, but I'll be happy to share with you the results of the boxes I've broken, etc. How was the game? 16-0! Post a pic of your ticket stub.
    Steve
  • Steve, just wanted to say I love your player threads! Keep it up!
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    It sold today. If I run across more I will PM you. Good luck and he is the best player on the planet right now.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Here's the only Curry I have. Wish I had more of him

It's been about 10 games since I wanted to get Curry Rookie cards. I think I missed the boat. How much do his cards go up after each game? Just sick, I say, sick.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Nice Currys guys
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd