Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Crossing GAI packs to PSA. your thoughts or experience.

Has anyone had luck sending GAI graded packs (still in the GAI holder) to PSA for a crossover? I have some GAI packs that I know are legitimate and think they would look better and have more future resale value in PSA holders. But with that being said the packs are already graded and I don't want them cracked out unless they will cross. These are mostly 1973-79 wax packs. Would anyone like to share your thoughts or past experience?

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had 2/3 cross: GAI-9.5--->PSA-9...
    GAI-9--->PSA-9...
    GAI-9--->min size requirement. Oops...these were cards.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your chances of crossing over packs from GAI to PSA are much greater if you cut the pack out of the GAI holder and submit it raw, as Steve has some difficulty evaluating a pack through the plastic of the GAI holder. I have never had a GAI pack rejected by PSA and have crossed over a couple of dozen, at least, all submitted raw. Of course, there is some risk involved, but if the pack is not questionable in the GAI holder, and is an authentic pack, you should be fine. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Submit the packs in the GAI holders.
    In the past, Steve would determine if the packs are legit without removing them from the holders. This way, you'll still get your GAI graded packs back if Steve can't make that determination. Otherwise they'll be sent for grading. Grades will vary though some times you will score the same grade. I would probably still add a note asking that the GAI packs remain holdered if authentication can not be determined.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually leave mine in the gai holder with a minimum grade request and have only had one or two not cross over. I do find they generally go down a grade though.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Originally posted by: rtimmer

I usually leave mine in the gai holder with a minimum grade request and have only had one or two not cross over. I do find they generally go down a grade though.

This is another reason to submit raw if you have confidence the pack is good, as PSA will generally assign a lower grade than the one on the GAI holder.

But, if you are risk averse, you can try submitting the pack in the GAI holder first and see what happens, before deciding whether to submit raw or not.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I too have had just a few (out of perhaps 25) not cross while in the GAI holder.
    Seems the majority of my packs came back one grade lower as well.

• Options
    It could go either way to be honest with you. I believe that GAI has the better holder for wax packs bar none! Both the cello and wax do look good in PSA holders but keep in mind PLEASE that if the gum breaks inside that PSA holder...you 9 will look like a 6! If it passes, PSA will slab it or you can request for a minimum grade and if PSA doesn't deem it that grade then they won't slab it! If it doesn't pass, you'll still be charged $14 but it won't get slabbed so don't worry about them cracking those GAI cases unless everything is good to go! Good luck on your submission!
  • Options
    I agree! GAI pack holders rocked!! Too bad Demian was such a clueless whack job!
  • Options
    That is the other risk with wax, besides crossing for authenticity reasons~wrapper tears from loose gum in transit. I typically cross only cellos for that reason.

• Options
    It tell you man GAI had it going on for a good while with their wax box grading in holders FASC or just an authentic full box & wax pack grading (Although they made mistakes at times and nobody is perfect)! You didn't have to wait so long to get your items back and pack grading was $10 per pack! I stopped collecting for a while and didn't know they went out of business then I popped up into collecting again and be introduced to Demian or however you spell his name! Not cool lol!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I crossed my entire wax and cello collection over the past 8 years. Probably 100 vintage packs. All were GAI slabbed since I had bought them all raw in the late '80s/90s. With the '50/'60s stuff I asked for a minimum grade. About 15 came back authentic but not meeting my grade. I have since sent them in w/o the min grade request and they all came back 1 grade lower. Only 5 or so failed to meet Steve's OK. On some he was unable to tell unless they were cracked out. Happened with a PSA-7 '57 wax pack that I bought from a guy we all know and trust. He told me to have Steve crack it out--which he did and it was authenticated as a PSA-7. One cello pack in particular--1960 w-Yaz on top--was bumped to a PSA-8 from a 7.

I understand the gum tear issue but only 1 pack suffered tears--a 1972 BB wax pack. Def sub them in the GAI holder and then make a decision to crack it if Steve cannot tell.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Question....Whats the best way to pack the to avoid the gum tears? Say, its already in the holder and the gum can still slide. How does PSA send a graded pack back? Position, packing etc.?

I had a graded '71 pack get torn due to gum in transit back to me. Ugh. It was a beautiful PSA 7 vibrant pack and actually the tears on the end and can't really be viewed front on.

Any secrets?

Thanks.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    No trick to that if gum is loose, unfortunately. Even if you pack it well, the gum tear can happen post holdering, as well. In fact, most times that is when the damage occurs.

• Options
    It just is what it is but without a doubt GAI didn't have near the trouble although it did happen! Even with the lapse they had in grading packs with broken or loose gum still that holder still has an issue! It's a gamble but more people want the PSA slab due to how tarnished the GAI name is! Cellos look really sweet slabbed PSA and the wax like so but if that gum breaks and you'll be mad, sliding gum might give to that lil pin hole at the top or bottom but broken...whole different ball game. Good to see you gents experiences!
  • Options
    BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Curious to what the experts think. If you have a pack with loose gum would it be better to store the PSA slab in a hot room to get the gum to stick to the top card or just leave it alone?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BIGBEN7

Curious to what the experts think. If you have a pack with loose gum would it be better to store the PSA slab in a hot room to get the gum to stick to the top card or just leave it alone?

I would leave it alone. Possibly ruining or damaging the cards within just to get the pack holdered would be counterproductive, imo. Especially if a future owner decides to open the pack and finds top few cards gum stained.

• Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably send in a small 10-15 pack sub in the GAI holders and see what happens.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.