Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mickey Mantle

Post your favorite/best Mickey Mantle card...

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guessing that is an 8/8.5? Nice centering on that 1958.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    8.5...front and back centering and color absolutely amazing...scan doesn't even give it justice.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    well as of now, it's that signed 51b that's in july's pick ups...

but over the coarse of building my mantle set, this one has always stuck out as one of my fav purchases:

always loved the clean, simple & bright look of this card and just don't think it get's the love it should:

• Options
    I will have to go with my baby I picked up earlier this year. Got very lucky to get it before prices went through the stratosphere.

• Options

<< <i>I will have to go with my baby I picked up earlier this year. Got very lucky to get it before prices went through the stratosphere. >>

you don't have that other 8.5 listed on ebay in your watch list too, do ya?
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Steven, that is a beautiful 58. Begsu, those are a couple great cards. I loved the signed Bowman card you posted on the July pickups too by the way. I think the 54 Bowman portrait, and really all the Bowman cards are really aesthetically pleasing cards. I am game for this thread. I have a couple of low/mid grade cards to share. Their total grade beats your 58 by 0.5 Steven. I think the Red Heart card is about the nicest 4 I have ever seen and the 1956 is the classic Mantle card I always wanted as a kid.
    Steve
  • Options
    very nice!! the red heart has always been on my radar as well, slum.

that is a classic card and the fact that it's a "dog food" card is just over the top as well!
  • Options
    Kendallcat--You beat me to posting the 1956 Mantle. I always loved the portrait with the action shot background. I also love horizontal cards for some reason, which is probably why his 1960 Topps card is probably one of my favorite cards of his too from an aesthetics standpoint. The combo of colors in the 1960 also makes it a strong looking card.
    Steve
  • Options
    Begsu, totally awesome...love that 54 Bowman 6...Steve, your red heart is a beauty and KC you scored on that 8.5...I have an 8 I'm reviewing at the show that is pretty sweet...I hope this thread gets legs as it's been so fun scrolling through the July pick ups at all the amazing cards, but selfishly speaking I wanted to scroll down a thread on all of your favorite Mantle cards...
  • Options

<< <i> but selfishly speaking I wanted to scroll down a thread on all of your favorite Mantle cards... >>

sounds like an opening to squeeze in another card. just got this back from pop and part of the childhood collection.

got this in person when i was a kid. dad paid for the auto, but I had to pay for the card and vividly remember purchasing it from a cool dealer at that same show where he was signing that gave me a hellavu break simply outta pure enjoyment. he was one of the good guys!

• Options

Here's a 1960 I recently picked up from a board member. I like this particular card for a few reasons:

1- Love the horizontal format.
    2- The bright red & yellow colors contrast nicely with the cool dark greens & blues of the background behind Mick.
    3- Most important is that smile. He just looks happy in the photo. For some reason that's important to me.
  • Options
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    Thesouthdoesitagain--If you are gonna have two cards, those are probably the two to keepimage
    MantleMarisFordBerra--Yup, that's what I am talking about! As my post earlier said, you pretty much highlighted what I love about the 1960 card.
    Begsu--that is a great story about the dealer hooking you up with the card for your auto. That is what the hobby should be about. Also cool your dad bought your auto but made you buy your own card, sounds like good parenting to meimage It's not a card, but I will share my only Mantle auto here too. It is part of my 500 HR Club ball. I wish I would have gotten a single signed ball too, but $60 was a lot of money back then for one auto. IIRC, at various shows for my 500 HR ball, I paid about $20 each for Aaron and Mays, maybe $15 each for Banks and F. Robinson, around $10 for Eddie Matthews and Killebrew signed for free at a show (I think it was the Anaheim National in the early 90's). Since, I have already posted my other Mantle stuff, I'll go ahead and post my most recent addition, and the highest graded so far in my collection.
    Steve
  • Options
    Slum22: I am not into baseballs mainly becasue i am scare if i bought a auto it either is fake or eventually fades away. I know it should be stored in a closet or something, right? keeping it out of the sunlight.
    How do i preserve a ball/auto? Get one of those shiny cube displays and thats it? How do i know if i am buying the real thing is my concern as well, One day i hope to land either a Mick or even a pre-war guy like Cobb or Ruth.
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 58 Mantle is as good as it gets. Really like the 54 Bowman Mantle and the Red Heart. My favorite one is the 57.

• Options

<< <i>Slum22: I am not into baseballs mainly becasue i am scare if i bought a auto it either is fake or eventually fades away. I know it should be stored in a closet or something, right? keeping it out of the sunlight.
    How do i preserve a ball/auto? Get one of those shiny cube displays and thats it? How do i know if i am buying the real thing is my concern as well, One day i hope to land either a Mick or even a pre-war guy like Cobb or Ruth. >>

go w/ the faberge egg solution in the ocean's twelve movie...
  • Options
    A younger me during my playing days with Mick in his early 60's. He and Whitey were very nice, spent the entire game in the dugout and clubhouse talking with them and Enos Slaughter.

• Options

<< <i>Slum22: I am not into baseballs mainly becasue i am scare if i bought a auto it either is fake or eventually fades away. I know it should be stored in a closet or something, right? keeping it out of the sunlight.
    How do i preserve a ball/auto? Get one of those shiny cube displays and thats it? How do i know if i am buying the real thing is my concern as well, One day i hope to land either a Mick or even a pre-war guy like Cobb or Ruth. >>

Let me preface by saying I am no auto expert. I agree with you that it is a mind field with autos in general and especially if you are looking at getting a Mantle or in my case Ted Williams. I would definitely be getting a PSA/DNA or JSA or some reputable TPG authenticated version of any autograph I don't get in person. Luckily, all the signatures on my 500 HR ball were obtained in person. I probably only have three autos out of about 50 pieces of signed memorabilia that were not signed in front of me or my brother (who collected with me as kids).

As far as fading, the autos in my picture were originally obtained in the early 90's and the picture is from about a year ago. I stored this ball in a regular ball cube also pictured but I did not display it. It say in its holder and box at my parents house for twenty years until I got back into collecting and reclaimed it a couple years ago. Next time I am at my parents house I will get some pics of balls that were on display and we can compare the difference in fading. I actually don't think it is a huge deal although if you can put it behind a UV protected holder and display I would presume you're better off.
    Steve
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Of the ones I currently have, I'm most attached to this one:

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options

<< <i>A younger me during my playing days with Mick in his early 60's. He and Whitey were very nice, spent the entire game in the dugout and clubhouse talking with them and Enos Slaughter.

image >>

Awesome photo. image
  • Options
    BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    Love both of these.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I will have to go with my baby I picked up earlier this year. Got very lucky to get it before prices went through the stratosphere. >>

you don't have that other 8.5 listed on ebay in your watch list too, do ya? >>

I kept an eye out for it. It was actually being sold by a friend of mine that I used to buy a lot of my 1954 and 1955 Ted Willams cards from - Craig Roehrig of Quality Cards. Will probably see him in Chicago if he attends - super nice family.
  • Options

<< <i>Post your favorite/best Mickey Mantle card...

image >>

That is a great '58. Was it a recent purchase or have you had it. Looking to pick one up at the Natty, and I can check VCP or if you can PM me a ballpark of what you paid that would be appreciated. Also, looking for a nice high end 1960 version as well 8 or 8.5.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Most of my MICKS are low grade. Here are some of them. The custom that Doran made for me is my favorite.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, I know I have said it before but I am compelled to again say your "2.5" '56 is among my favorite Mick cards posted anywhere.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Real nice cards guys! Congrats to all of you.

Matt ... PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    I only have one mantle, but I think it's a pretty solid looking one.

[URL=http://s653.photobucket.com/user/shu4040/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsbygw6jdn.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I like my 51…mostly because it is my only Mantle (as of yet)

I also like my "Other" 51 that Doran made and I purchased on eBay

Edited to Add: My favorite looking Mantle is the '56…especially because it has his triple crown numbers on the back.
  • Options
    Doug, the color on that 59 is insane! Thank goodness for pin holes
  • Options
    I've decided I need more Micks in my life.
  • Options
    Nice 63...love that rare stahl-Meyer...

Isn't it funny what excites us? I can look at these beauties all day long..we are in such the minority, lol. Keep the Micks coming if you have a favorite. Thx for the action today!!!
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>Of the ones I currently have, I'm most attached to this one:

Jeff >>

May i drool on this one next week? image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Eric ... I have to agree with you. That '53 that Jeff has is AWESOME!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    i remember when low-grade centered Mantles were affordable! image #GetOffMyLawn!

will probably go with this one, or the rookie, tough call

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. All great. Really dig the Stahl, Red Heart...and that Oklahoma Today is reall cool. Never seen it.

I'll throw this one out as a recent fave.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    BACK PAGES-- Where on earth did you find a centered 57 Topps? Insanely tough card. That is hands down the best framing I have seen on a '57, in any grade. And it is not blurry at all. Perfect focus. Both those attributes in one specimen makes it like 1 in 100, or 1 in way more than 100 examples.

The Stahl Meyer is such a pleasing image. It doesn't get much more "apple pie Americana" vibe than that.

Both the 59s pictured, the 1 and the 6, look amazing; that 6 looks at first glance screams 8 eye appeal.

I saw that 51B "1" on eBay and man what eye appeal for that grade. Was a hotly contested card as I recall. Its flaws are so serendipitously placed so as not to hurt the eye appeal.

* Jeff-- forget the grade, does it get much better for a 53T than that one? That has to be one of the best you've handled over the years. I really hope it's in your collection and not for sale, otherwise I better recalibrate my budget image

This thread is bad for work productivity.

• Options
    1966 was the first ever Mantle I owned so this one has some sentimental value - although this is not the same card

This is my other 1956 in a lower grade.

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    This may be my favorite thread ever to look at. Nice Mantles guys...here are a few of my favs...

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    My favorite is the signed 69 white letter. This is the quad effecta for the 69 Mantle.
  • Options
    CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    That is one amazing display!

Can't resist a good Mantle thread. Here's a few of mine:

And a family photo with a few distant cousins.
  • Options
    CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    How have we gone two pages without the Louisville Slugger Mantle not making an appearance. Come one Matt, post it. Don't play coy.
  • Options
    Those are all great cards. Keep them coming.
  • Options
    Gee, Greg, that's one great display you have. You must have had really good influences growing up when it came to cards. Like, I dunno...perhaps an awesome brother. The kind of brother who would wrestle you over an '86 Donruss Dwight Gooden, thereby instilling great values of sportsmanship.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    cool thread and awesome cards, guys!

• Options
    CW ... that Dan-Dee is AMAZING!

Thanks to everyone for showing their 52!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Eric- Yep the mick and I will be excited to see you in just a few days. I've been trying to beef up my mantles. Dad just asked me if you are going to be there. I know he's looking forward to seeing you too.

Matty- Yep it's for sale. The only caveat is, it's for sale as part of my mantle registry set- selling it all in one whack. I think you'll like it!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Cannot wait to check the set out, Jeff! See you there.

Favorite Mantles:

• Options

<< <i>Cannot wait to check the set out, Jeff! See you there.

Favorite Mantles:

image >>

Nice mantle 52 4.5. Do you own both those 52 mantle PSA 4.5's?