Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The most overpriced unopened boxes..

the boxes offer very little or marginal bang for the buck (unless you think you are going to get a BGS 10).

1) 1989 score football $275 to $300 a box. The sanders goes for $175 in psa 10, Aikman $100. Some other around $50. But in 9's they barely sell for anything.
2) 1984 Topps baseball boxes go for $75 to $100. Mattingly goes for $125 after that $25 or less. 9's go for nothing basically.
3) 1984 Fleer boxes, around $100, see #2.
4) 1985 Fleer boxes go for $125 or more. You get Puckett and Clemens, PSa 10's go for $150 or so, after that nil. 9's go for $20 or less.
5) 1984 Donruss $275 a box. Mattingly psa 10 $600, everything else $50 or less (for the most part). Psa 9's outside of mattingly are useless.
Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    For the collectors who do not use any for of TPG, almost EVERY box pre auto era has very little in the way of bang for the buck
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every pre-1986 box is overpriced right now. There is no box that has a guaranteed positive rip value at this point. Even the 1986 F BKB Box that Steve has would be loser if ripped.

That being said, I still buy boxes if they come along at a decent price. I've moved to 1981-1986 stuff for now since the price point is better and cases are still being opened.
    Mike
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>Every pre-1986 box is overpriced right now. There is no box that has a guaranteed positive rip value at this point. Even the 1986 F BKB Box that Steve has would be loser if ripped.

That being said, I still buy boxes if they come along at a decent price. I've moved to 1981-1986 stuff for now since the price point is better and cases are still being opened. >>

+1 along with the OP's comment about 1989 Score Football. I hope prices come down to earth to make it reasonable to rip more boxes. I've really shied away from buying unopened over the last few months (regrettably I didn't stop sooner).
  • pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the boxes offer very little or marginal bang for the buck (unless you think you are going to get a BGS 10).

1) 1989 score football $275 to $300 a box. The sanders goes for $175 in psa 10, Aikman $100. Some other around $50. But in 9's they barely sell for anything.
    2) 1984 Topps baseball boxes go for $75 to $100. Mattingly goes for $125 after that $25 or less. 9's go for nothing basically.
    4) 1985 Fleer boxes go for $125 or more. You get Puckett and Clemens, PSa 10's go for $150 or so, after that nil. 9's go for $20 or less.
    5) 1984 Donruss $275 a box. Mattingly psa 10 $600, everything else $50 or less (for the most part). Psa 9's outside of mattingly are useless. >>

Ive never understood why a "BGS 10" sells for any more than a psa 10, yet any other grade less than a 10 from that company(or any other grading company besides PSA) will sell for less than its PSA graded equivalent...example, a bgs 9.5 1985 topps puckett rc will sell for less than a psa 10, though they are both considered "gem mint", yet a bgs 10 will go for 2-3x of a psa 10...am i missing something?

• << <i>

<< <i>the boxes offer very little or marginal bang for the buck (unless you think you are going to get a BGS 10).

5) 1984 Donruss $275 a box. Mattingly psa 10 $600, everything else $50 or less (for the most part). Psa 9's outside of mattingly are useless. >>

Ive never understood why a "BGS 10" sells for any more than a psa 10, yet any other grade less than a 10 from that company(or any other grading company besides PSA) will sell for less than its PSA graded equivalent...example, a bgs 9.5 1985 topps puckett rc will sell for less than a psa 10, though they are both considered "gem mint", yet a bgs 10 will go for 2-3x of a psa 10...am i missing something? >>

scarcity?
    Shayne A Sherman
    These go to eleven....
    Mike
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ive never understood why a "BGS 10" sells for any more than a psa 10, yet any other grade less than a 10 from that company(or any other grading company besides PSA) will sell for less than its PSA graded equivalent...example, a bgs 9.5 1985 topps puckett rc will sell for less than a psa 10, though they are both considered "gem mint", yet a bgs 10 will go for 2-3x of a psa 10...am i missing something? >>

In theory, a BGS 10 would be a high grade PSA 10. We have all seen the threads of the "ugly" PSA 10 cards and how some are borderline off center enough to not even get a 9. Its also reason for the last thread involving a discussion regarding "high end" PSA 10's.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

• << <i>

<< <i> >>

scarcity? >>

Artificial scarcity.

That has changed in past 2 or 3 years. BGS 10s used to be like seeing Bigfoot. Now they seem to be more common.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    This is one reason why I will be selling all my unopened stuff. It's too expensive for me to collect!
  • pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    i love 1979 topps cards....USED to love ripping packs...at $55 each, its just not worth it anymore....for the cost of a wax box, one could buy 2 PSA 9 ozzie smith rcs, and still have change for a steak dinner....go figure
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    88 topps. even at $10 a box....
  • RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭

<< <i>88 topps. even at $10 a box.... >>

People actually buy them for that?!
    It never leaves you...
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

Well played, sir
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>

People actually buy them for that?! >>

i was including shipping. ; )
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

i was including shipping. ; ) >>

According to Burbank Sports, each box of 1988 Topps Baseball has about $500 worth of cards in it.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

i was including shipping. ; ) >>

According to Burbank Sports, each box of 1988 Topps Baseball has about $500 worth of cards in it. >>

You got that from the internet, right? If so, you know its got to be right!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    Yowzers, $286 per vending box.

Does anyone know if that 1986 Fleer basketball box sold at national?
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lahmejoon

Yowzers, $286 per vending box.

Does anyone know if any of the 4 1986 Fleer basketball boxes sold at national?

I fixed that for you image

• I agree, vintage wax is often tough to justify, however you have to factor in the "fun factor" of opening it, otherwise none of these boxes are really worth it. Even the 86 fleer, I think it was 75k or some ridiculous number, the odds of you getting a PSA 10 jordan are pretty slim, you may even only get 1 or 2 Jordans, and at least 1 would need to be a 10 for you to justify the purchase. It would still be a blast to rip and would yield a ton of nice $100 to $500 cards.

For nostalgia purposes, I bought a box of low number 1989 Upper Deck. Ripped the whole box, got 1 Griffey and it probably a 9 at best ($60 card). The box was $120. I didnt get any duplicate RCs either so there was a chance I could have gotten no Griffeys. I dont really care, just wanted to open a cheap but cool box and thought it was a good score, but you see my point.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most unopened boxes will never be opened especially if they are already BBCE wrapped.

James
  • Considering what the group rip 1979 rack boxes went for this seems pretty overpriced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291822358027
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jfkheat

Most unopened boxes will never be opened especially if they are already BBCE wrapped.

James

Exactly this. Those who fear nearly all vintage unopened, especially fasc, is practically gone... should take solace in this. Most unopened product sold in the last several years was not bought to be ripped open (Nikklos is the exception, lol). And most of it will come back to market many times before they are ever ripped.
  • I agree with most of it but ive stashed and ripped 84 donruss boxes for years. 84 donruss was one of the lowest production years if i remember right. that's why the price has always been pretty high on the 84 boxes. I believe 85 fleer was the same as far as low production numbers.
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    It's just like playing the lottery. You almost always lose.
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ndleo

These go to eleven....

• jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    This is a great list you put together. I used to try and figure out how many HOFer's there were in each set and then put a value on the possibilities. Now I'm ready for the next five...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Being an 80's football guy, 85 Topps is out of my sense of reality. I know a lot of collectors love them black borders but dang. I probably will never complete my 80's run of unopened because of 85 Toppsimage. For me, a clean looking non X-out, authenticated wax box of them should bring around $200ish. Heck, if I got drunk and rich, I might even go $300. I dont understand 85 Topps. Poor rookie class, fairly modern and available.

Oh wellimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Those skybox sets from the late 90s. 250-275/box because of the rare nests, even though the inserts are rare because they were placed like 1 per every two cases.
    From a football point of view, I think 1998 Contenders and 2000 SP Authentic are severely overpriced. Because of the $400+ price point, I would think 99.9% of the boxes broken are a complete loss.

For 2000, you can buy multiple Pacific, Fleer, and Score boxes and increase your odds of hitting a nice Brady.
    Mike
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    86 fleer just sold for 55k
    ..still seems pretty steep, even with a 4th Jordan sticker on back
  • Anyone have an opinion as far as most underpriced unopened boxes? If that's even a possibility these days!
  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    85 topps baseball
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    1986 baseball boxes are cheap and psa 10 sandberg cards are $500+

thats good value since the boxes are under fifty bux each
  • tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinspacks
    1986 baseball boxes are cheap and psa 10 sandberg cards are $500+

thats good value since the boxes are under fifty bux each

I agree!..Plus the Ryan's in PSA 10 and even the Rose cards. And I have been opening some bulk racks of 1986 and these are a pain in the arse to find clean cards. Think I have pulled about 20 Ryan cards, maybe one is 10 worth...Sandberg, haven't seen one yet above a 7/8..
    Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I opened 2 1/2 cases of 1986 Topps thinking I could hit a couple of star cards like Ryan and Sandberg in a PSA 10. All I got was horrible off centered examples and the few that were gradable, PSA gave all PSA 8's and 8.5's. I wasted $1000 and got three blisters on my right thumb from shuffling through that crap.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1954

I opened 2 1/2 cases of 1986 Topps thinking I could hit a couple of star cards like Ryan and Sandberg in a PSA 10. All I got was horrible off centered examples and the few that were gradable, PSA gave all PSA 8's and 8.5's. I wasted $1000 and got three blisters on my right thumb from shuffling through that crap.

Boy, do I ever appreciate plain talk.

Post of the year on "honesty" image

Mike
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Artificial scarcity.

That has changed in past 2 or 3 years. BGS 10s used to be like seeing Bigfoot. Now they seem to be more common.

You have to remember that 99.847908% of the BGS 10 Pristines are all of the most modern grade card issues....especially the shiney ones.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the same picking up 10 vending boxes cheap thinking 'easy money', but only made it through 6 before I just couldn't take it anymore. All I could see were tilted, OC black and white borders for days and the remaining 4 have been sitting by my office desk for over a year haunting me. I still shudder at the thought of having to open and sort them.
  • tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

I did the same picking up 10 vending boxes cheap thinking 'easy money', but only made it through 6 before I just couldn't take it anymore. All I could see were tilted, OC black and white borders for days and the remaining 4 have been sitting by my office desk for over a year haunting me. I still shudder at the thought of having to open and sort them.

Yep, I'm almost done going thru some Crooked Crapola Specials (Kruk Cards), 360 rack packs that were pretty messed up (factory rejects but the price was good). Seems like whenever I would find a centered one the corners were dinged. Reminds me of 1981 Fleer. Just hoping that I might have hit a few good ones, but yea, definitely tired of looking at black borders!
    Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the 87 Fleer Basketball are overpriced. Only the 10's have significant value.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.