Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How would you sell entire collection

Thinking about selling the entire collection....
A lot of unopened wax from 73 to current (most BBCE)
And at least one Rc of every major star from 39 Ted Williams
Thru 52 Mantle psa 4 up through jordan Rc is psa 9
Many items of lesser value from junk wax era as well
How would you sell it..... An auction house? Best way to maximize value? Which one?
Thoughts and comments are appreciated

Comments

• The answer depends on your goals when selling.

What's most important? Getting the best price, selling it the fastest, or the option with greatest convenience?

Is one of those an overriding priority?
  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    Getting the best price is top priority
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decide what you want for the entire collection and post it on the BST forum. If you can sell it that way it's the easiest.

Second option is try ebay with a reserve or opening bid you can live with. You might want to separate your items into categories that make sense, but listing each item separately will bring the most money.

Last resort for me would be an auction house.

Good luck on whatever you decide looks like you have some desirable items!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

<< <i>Getting the best price is top priority >>

Definitely list each item by itself on ebay. I start my auctions at an opening bid that I can live with, a reserve is another way to go. If no one bids, you can decide to reevaluate or keep the item.

People seem to really want the unopened stuff, those could generate some bidding wars.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Best price: do not sell as a lot. Piece it out, using PWCC/Probstein, major auction houses, and perhaps your own eBay listings as BIN/BO (and be patient for good offers).

If you post a detailed list of what you have, I'm sure you can get specific recommendations about which venue would be best for which item.
    You will get the best price by listing yourself. Unopened with the BBCE wrapping and PSA graded cards will be looked at as genuine. Why pay someone to do something as easy as listing something on ebay.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I am in the same boat as you, however, I'll be keeping my '89 Topps cards. Would like to get my stuff cleaned out by the end of July. Not nearly as nice of stuff here that you have, so I inevitably see a large donation to my local thrift shop soon.

Best of luck!

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    I would definitely list each item with an opening bid you can live with but not a top dollar opening bid. This will encourage some bidding that could drive up the price. Don't use a reserve as bidders shy away from these including myself thinking the seller it is wanting too much and the buyer has no chance at a good price. On the real high dollar items ('52 Mantle) I may go with an auction house or 3rd party seller. Good luck!
  • GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Selling on message boards can also be a good outlet. It can save you the ebay fees which can add up to a LOT, especially if you are looking to maximize your profit.

Ebay is great, but be prepared to wait a bit for the things to sell for a decent price. One option is just to mail everything to Probstein123 or PWCC, but you run the risk of it selling for less than what you are hoping for. But, that is the least painful way to do it if you have a lot of item because they do all the scanning and listing for you.

I would think that having a list of things and putting them up on this message forum or net54 would get you a good chunk of it sold before having to go the ebay route.

• If your description is accurate, I would definitely consign with PWCC. Only problem I would have is sending a collection of that value to them through the mail.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were still actively buying graded cards and submitting cards to PSA? What prompted the change of heart?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    Just thinking about cashing out and building back
    Strictly with those items I think will be increasing in value
  • REA is currently accepting submissions for their fall auction. It's usually a big one and most stuff sells for really good money. I believe they will even come meet with you if the collection is worth their time. You might want to consider giving them a call and let them know what you have. Best of luck!
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    PROBSTEIN123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!!
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    With a collection like that I disagree with going the DIY EBay route. To many possible problems and
    making sure it's packed right and dealing with fees and supplies. In most cases I would say yes but
    this looks like a job for PWCC or Probstein and sit back and watch.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Defintely like to see a list. A AH is a good place. Heritage, REA are all great for major cards like you say. Theres so many AH, like goodwin, goldin, huggins&scott, love of the game, milehigh, and others like Hunt, Mears, GregBusinneau, Baggers, CleanSweep, Brockleman & Luckey and exclude Legendary perhaps.
    I wonder if taking it all at one place is good? or try doing 2 seperate times?? or 2 AH's.
    PWCC and Problemstein are doing great with their PSA 10's.
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The high end stuff should go through an auction house or PWCC. Selling high dollar stuff as a small seller on ebay can get risky especially from the scam and payment side.

I think you can get the auction houses to cut you a discount if you have a large lot of nice stuff. The junk wax you should get sell as a lot on ebay or the BST board.
    Mike
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    1st of all--always sorry to see a passionate collector leave the hobby. Good luck if you do sell-I am sure you will find another passion.

I agree that if you want to maximize your profits selling it here and on the bay is your best option. Problem is for the extra $$ you'll get -- you will undoubtedly encounter problems with some buys. And you have to pack, ship multiple times--maybe over a period of time. Is that worth the extra 10-12% you would pay to someone else?

As for the unopened--IMO selling here may not be your best option for what you have. There is a good and strong interest here on the boards for unopened--but this is only a fraction of the audience for that product. Not that there has been a lot of it--but '73 and older wax boxes have begun to appear again due to the surge in prices. People are some would say wisely cashing in on a real good profit. Even BBCE has a '76 box sitting there. When was the last time you saw that type of product sit there? It may just be that supply--albeit temporarily--has already caught the demand for your product on the CU Boards. Having said that--I would offer it here at your price and see if there are any takers. No harm doing that and generally most transactions on the boards go smoothly.

Otherwise go with a company that offers stellar customer service and will give you the best percentage in your pocket You need exposure for your items--some of the AHs mentioned on this thread I would rule out immediately for that reason alone. I have consigned tens of thousands with PWCC over the past year with excellent results. Because he offers a lower rate and only gets paid on one end (as opposed to AHs who get a % from both seller and buyer--nice!!)--he is generally not amenable to special rates--but it don't hurt to ask. A sizable collection should warrant a special rate.

Problem with PWCC is there are probably STILL collectors that do not even use the internet and/or do not buy on the bay I am sure. So you'll be missing out on a percentage of collectors. REA has a tremendous customer list base--that's important. I was always afraid that my stuff would get lost if I consigned there but hi end really in demand items seem to do well nonetheless. In fact now PWCC has over 12,000 items continually running--and it'll grow I am sure. In the future I will try REA

I prefer you to reconsider Sir!! But if you must go--best of luck

• << <i>PROBSTEIN123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!! >>

Now that was funny
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I've been flirting with the same issue. There are some fairly strong auction houses that will pay up to 105% of the final gavel price, though that's negotiated based on the total value of what you're selling. Six figures gets their attention. I'm weighing selling through REA. As a buyer, I've been very confident in their process.

I've sold on eBay with moderate success on both lower $ items and higher $,$$$ auctions. I've also had some strong success selling through Rick Probstein, who I feel is a very stand up guy, and makes selling incredibly effortless. He's clear he won't list items that he thinks are trimmed unless they're noted, so I've been a strong buyer from him over the years as well.

My experience with PWCC has only been as a buyer. I am extremely complimentary of their integrity, confident that their cards are not tampered with, and if so noted. The sad thing is there are high priced items that PWCC lists explicitly as "trimmed" that other sellers such as battlefield0516 resell as "unaltered". (See June 14th's Diamond Stars listing of PWCC's trimmed lot)

Best of luck, would appreciate hearing how you decide to handle it.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Does anyone have any experience selling a high end autograph collection? I'm thinking about selling my Football HOF rookie autograph card collection? It is the top set on the registry HOF RC Would it be better to go with an auction house vs. PWCC or Probenstein? Since the collection is more specialized I was curious if anyone might have personal experience, thanks, Tim
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I'm currently in the process of liquidating my football card collection and have been consigning with PWCC. For me, it really boils down to how much free time I have available to handle selling, shipping, dealing with customers, etc. I sold off a large lot of cards many years ago when I was consolidating my collecting focus and it was a very long and time consuming process to deal with all the sales. At this point in my life, the convenience outweighs the extra $$$ that could be had if I sold everything myself. Even then, I believe that an ebay consignment company or an auction house will likely bring in a larger number of potential buyers than a private seller.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With your knowledge and experience for accurately describing an item, I would
    list as many items or lots on our BST. After you hit a lull then E-bay or local
    auction house. The good stuff will sell quickly at your price without fees. Don't
    forget to take pics where needed. Good luck.

Forum members, I highly recommend this member, very accurate and honest!!
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Probstein or Pre-War. Best way to go, unless it's massive price items, then auction house. Barely any work on your part, top prices achieved, minimal fees, boom.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I packed up most of my cards several months ago and take a handful out every month to sell on eBay. It's about all I can manage.
  • BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    COLLECT auction does a nice job with unopened material. Over the last few years they have consistently gotten good prices for unopened at auction. I just consigned a few items with them. Very professional. I'm keeping the PSA graded and raw part of the collection for now. I don't think you could go wrong with PWCC or PROBSTEIN with the graded portion of your collection. Everybody has there favorite between the two.
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    < probstein123="" is="" actively="" accepting="" consignments="" _21_21_21_="" />>

and:

NO international orders, USA Shipping only.