Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Dan's Yaz pickups

Some of you might remember my quasi-inappropriate "sig" when I first came aboard. I've always wanted to own a 1967 Topps Yaz sticker, especially a PSA graded one... and here it is, in a 7 no less! I never thought I'd own this. Many thanks to CU member FiskFan, with whom I made the trade.

Yes it's a somewhat difficult to obtain Yaz item, but it also holds sentimental value for me. Some of you already know this story, but when my Dad was 15 years old he took a good number of the Topps Red Sox stickers, including Yaz, peeled them, and stuck them to his parents' (my grandparents') garage door. I saw that sticker hundreds of times while visiting them. This is a fantastic Yaz item for my collection, but also a way to recapture part of my father's youth and remember my Nana and Bepa.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, looks awesome!
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Cool -- esoteric -- Yaz!

Congrats!
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very cool item!!! Congrats.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup Dan!!! With is what the board is for (among other things, LOL), to be able to share our excitement with other people who get it. Congrats!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely centered too image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing better than a floating head of your favorite player. Congrats on the great pick up Dan!
  • Thank you fellas, I'm on cloud nine! And Mike, you're absolutely right, that's what I love about these boards. None of my friends collect and my wife gets sick of listening. My sons collect, but they're kids. It's wonderful to have a community of like-minded people who "get it." I can't tell you how much this forum means to me.
  • Bump for dytch2220 to find it. Only bump, I promise.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great feeling to pick up an item you thought you might never own!!!!!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dan! I'm happy you were able to harpoon the whale! Love the back story too.

I like that card. My Clayton Kershaw collection has a card that quite obviously was modeled after this based on the eerie similarity and the card being numbered 67S-CK. LOL.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, congrats! Love seeing guys get stuff like this... that has so much personal value.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I love the story about them being stuck to your grandparents garage door. I love the sentimental side of it.

Now, you just need to go out and grab you a 1969 Topps 4-in-1. image

Shane

• It's wonderful to have a community of like-minded people who "get it." I can't tell you how much this forum means to me.

That's what it's all about Dan. I still get a good feeling when I see my 1969-70 Bobby Orr. Me and my Dad went and got our haircut in Abington, MA. Afterwards he bought me a couple of packs of Hockey cards. First card was Orr and the stamp in the pack was also Orr.
    It's about the memories for me.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Nice image

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Dan!!!

Congrats on the pick up.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • It's worth reiterating that I owe thanks to FiskFan for this trade! I hope he's as happy with the unique Fisk item that's on its way to him!
  • Congratulations! Always very cool to see someone achive a goal like this
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Always nice to see new additions to people's collections. Even better when it means as much as this card obviously does to you.
    Steve
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    Very nice
    Congrats!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Awesome story. I'm the source of the Yaz as Fisk man grabbed it from me and told me it was for a "trade." Small world! Enjoy the card Dan! Seems like were just 3 collecting Sox fans. Born in '67, my dad had long stopped collecting, but when I discovered these stickers a few years back, I had to have them. Current #3 set and #9 set on registry. I know current #1 also native Boston guy and passionnate about the set.

"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Ejguru, so you were the eBay seller who tony bought it from?

Edited to add: stupid question. I just checked your eBay ID. Thank you for your part in making this happen
  • My Dad owned, peeled and stuck a bunch of these. Probably half the set. I set my sights on Yaz because he's my primary collecting focus. If I were ever to obtain another one, it would probably be the Yaz for Mayor sticker.
  • ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    PM me
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    That is a true collectors story, congratulations on picking up memories. Nostalgia image

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

This puppy arrived in the mail today and I decided to finally register a Yaz Master Set. The 1967 sticker that originated this thread bumped me up 10 spots, all by itself.
    Good start! Cards look nice. image
  • What's your opinion on the 1960 RC? Somebody in the registered set forum thought it was under graded. But I wouldn't want to spend money on a review unless it's got a really really good shot at a bump. I don't know if the pic shows it, but theres a small crease through the "S" in "SPORT"
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking rookie card, but if your budget is tight, why send it in for a possible bump, you can do that anytime. If I were in your place, I would concentrate on adding to the set and worry about spending acquisition funds later.

Just my .02

I think the card might bump as high as a 4, but you never know. I have seen 2's that look like they were run over by a tractor!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Thanks for the advice. So I've got raw versions of 1962 base, 1968T RBI Leaders, and 1971 base that are all sub worthy. Those should bump me up 2 or 3 more spots in the ranks. Slow and steady.

Surprise in today's mail! I think it's a birthday present from my brother, a week early, but haven't been able to confirm. Nonetheless, second nice addition to my master set in the past 24 hours!
  • TOUGH CARD...ENJOY
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
    Surprise in today's mail! I think it's a birthday present from my brother, a week early, but haven't been able to confirm. Nonetheless, second nice addition to my master set in the past 24 hours! >>

Sweet!
  • Thanks Rick. There are quite a few in the pop report that are 9s and 10s, but in MY experience at shows, raw versions of these Kellogg's cards are almost always cracked.
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Love the font!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I love the personal story about the stickers being placed on your grandparents' garage door. A Holy Grail is very difficult to achieve. Congratulations Dan.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Thank you sir!
  • Loving everything about this story!
  • Now you have me watching these for sale!!! Great item!!!
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I LOVE THOSE!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Had a terrific mail day and thought I'd resuscitate this thread. Might be fun to do all my showing off in one place. Here's what I got today.

imageimage

The border of this SSPC is not discolored, despite the funky pic. I plan on subbing it and don't see anything keeping it from a PSA 9.

That's my 2nd Yaz auto
    I own 3 other graded Yaz cards not shown in this thread, but they can be seen by going to my master set (which is a work in progress). I own a quadruple relic of Yaz, Ted Williams, Boggs and Schilling, but too lazy to take a pic. And I own this 1 of 1 printing plate/auto/bat card. Pic is front and back.

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Nice stuff, Dan. It's good to see Yaz getting some love. Aside from his rookie card, it seems he is under rated in the hobby for some reason.

Snorto~
  • Those are some really terrific pick-ups Dan! I love it!
    Thanks guys!
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Great pick-ups, Dan!! Your master set is coming together nicely.

<< <i>Great pick-ups, Dan!! Your master set is coming together nicely. >>

Thanks. It's slow going because I can only afford to add about 1 or 2 graded cards a month to the registry, and sometimes I spend part of that budget on raw cards, like I did here. But I think at this pace I can add another 20 or so items by the end of next year, between purchases and self subs. And that would be pretty sweet!
  • I was a member and sent some cards in about 6 years ago. These submission stories make we want to get back into it. I don't have much to send and don't know that I want to go raw searching but I do have 3 Yaz autographed cards from when I met him once. They aren't worth any grade but I would like them slabbed. I'll put some thought into becoming a member again.

I love what you are doing here Dan!
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have much to send and don't know that I want to go raw searching but I do have 3 Yaz autographed cards from when I met him once. They aren't worth any grade but I would like them slabbed. I'll put some thought into becoming a member again. >>

You could just piggyback on the $10 blue flip submission thread, if getting the autos slabbed is all you are wanting.