Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1955 Topps Clemente rookie, worth a resub?

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you resub what grade are you hoping for?

• PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    A straight 7 at least, probably too o/c for an 8.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    $2000 difference between yours (~PSA 6) and a PSA 7.
    Definitely worth a resub.
    Really sharp card there
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    So when does a card qualify for a 7 and when does it qualify for an 8 (OC )? Are there any guidelines in place?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
    The centering tolerances for a 7 aren't as strict as they are for an 8. It's 65/35 to 70/30 for an 8, and 70/30 to 75/25 for a 7.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$2000 difference between yours (~PSA 6) and a PSA 7.
    Definitely worth a resub.
    Really sharp card there >>

+1

Beautiful Clemente, PSASAP!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    maybe I am missing something I have seen worse centered cards comeback as an 8.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Worth a resub, however you MUST crack-it out!!!! Good luck!
  • That card should not qualify for an OC.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That card should not qualify for an OC. >>

What do you mean? I'm afraid it won't get a straight 7. The t/b centering on the left side appears to be 80/20 to me. It looks better on the right because of the slight tilt.
  • The card is not centered well but it doesn't look OC either. I have seen first hand, cards that have gotten a straight grade with worse centering than this. Sometimes I think that the name of the player on the card plays a major role.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Definitely re-sub. That's a killer card. But first, crack it, send it in raw and request in black, BOLD LETTERS, highlighted, at the top of the form: "NO QUALIFIERS, PLEASE."
    Good luck!
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about 78/22 at the worst spot. I've found lately the centering requirements are enforced more strictly than advertised. I've gotten straight 7's on otherwise mint cards with centering between 65/35 and 70/30. But good luck!
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the grading is spot on. I would not crack it out. I'm always thinking that's risky.

Regardless of the grade......that's a nice card.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    That is one beautiful 55 Clemente, regardless of the qualifier.
    I received this Clemente from a board member recently. Did this receive the O/C qualifier because of the front or the back ??

imageimage
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received this Clemente from a board member recently. Did this receive the O/C qualifier because of the front or the back ??

imageimage >>

The front due to T/B centering.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I gotta agree with Mickey71 on this one - although a very nice card with even better corners than a 7 - it's not worth cracking in the HOPES of a bump. To me - it simply goes back to the basic of all PSA card collecting principles - collect/buy the card - not the holder. Yes, a 7 will be slightly more desirable than an 8 (OC) - but I just don't see PSA budging on a top 200 card. Good luck with what ever you decide - if you choose to resub - ya might want to consider a review in the holder before cracking.
    Here's one that Probstein is auctioning that is centered similar to mine:

link to eBay auction
    Here's one that sold recently:

ebay link
  • hows the back look?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    From what I recall, it's at least as good or better than the 7 that recently sold.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    It's getting very tough to get a bump on the premium cards in the hobby. I can't tell you how many pre-0.5 grade 8 Clemente RCs I have seen (and held) which don't hold a candle to the 7.5 example below, but the 7.5 keeps getting turned down when it is reviewed even though there are existing "8s" which side-by-side show more physical wear, worse centering and less eye appeal. In today's market with the prices of these RCs literally flying grading could easily become a license to print money. A Clemente 8 was a $5k card 2-3 years ago. We just saw a sale at over $50k! Perhaps that is an explanation on why some feel that grading has become stricter. Grading remains a subjective art, much more than a science and thus there will always be differing opinions. If you decide to submit for a bump I wish you the best of luck.

Dave
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    That was two years in between posts. What did you do with your card?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Still got the hacksaw in my hand, ready to make the first cut, Doug. image
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    You need that centering tool available on the bst boards!

Nice card
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it helps the 1973 that it is OC in two directions on back instead of just one though, even if the front is a bit OC t/b.
  • It is possible the back is causing the qualifier, can you scan the back?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back centering does not typically generate an OC qualifier and the qualifier on that particular card is for centering on front. Even for a PSA 9, back centering can be 90/10 or better.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Yep..what Grote said
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duane.... It's worth a shot to try an I believe it has a shot for that straight 7. I'll be rooting for you!!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    The centering on this one is awfully close to mine:

link
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a slight tilt which makes it look close to yours, but I would say that they belong in the holders they currently reside in using my non grader eyes. Amazing how much this card has taken off lately.
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with sub. Should be a 7 IMO
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    With ANY chance to bump a Clemente rookie you try it not once but 2/3 times.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • I gotta agree that the card itself played a small role in the grade. I hate saying that but it does seem to ring true at times. I've seen commons with that centering get a straight 8. I do however fell that they have tightened up on there vintage grading as of late. If that where Mel Parnell and not Clemente more likely to not get the OC in my opinion. What does it being a top 100 card or whatever have to do with the real grade? Bugs me sometimes that it seems to be the case.
  • I meant straight 7 not 8 just retread my post. That card could be a 7 as long as the corners hold up.