Home Stamps Forum

Postal Commemorative Society 22kt Gold Replica Stamps, are these worth anything?

LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
Postal Commemorative Society 22kt Gold Replica Stamps, are these worth anything?

I found 3 of them in a box of stamps that I have not seen for 20 years and was just wondering.
Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
San Diego, CA

Comments

• Of courese they're worth something. But probably just the gold content. The ones I've seen are nicely done, but they're not stamps obviously. So, there's absolutely no premium for them and the secodary market is the one you make when you go to sell them. Kind of along the lines of colorized American Silver Eagles $1 bullion coin.

Jerry
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info.

They are like a FDC, it has the gold replica and the real stamp at the corner.

How much gold is in these?
    San Diego, CA

• nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    Just pennys worth and that's it.Same for "Gold plated coins". Also there is almost zero after market.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    So I guess I should let the kids play with them.image
    San Diego, CA

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    A friend just gave me a whole album full of those - FDCs with a gold-plated replica stamp included - asking me to see if they had any value. Probably 30-40 or so in the album, all from around 1997. Guess I have the answer now. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• << <i>A friend just gave me a whole album full of those - FDCs with a gold-plated replica stamp included - asking me to see if they had any value. Probably 30-40 or so in the album, all from around 1997. Guess I have the answer now. image >>

yeah me too...
    crap... I got an album full of 1980's replica's in the binder and all.... all in fantastic shape...

oh well...my mom paid $30 each for them.. .and now they are worth next to nothing..... HAH... image
  • This makes me think of the fairly recent ads for the plated world trade center coin with the twin towers that stand up on the surface of the coin. Or the gold plated $5 Indian coin from the same company. If you listen to the guy describe this garbage on the commercials you can tell a lawyer probably wrote the description. They're really careful to describe that it is genuine gold plated, actually they don't use the word plated (as that would be a dead giveaway) to even the most naive. I think they say mil or clad, which most non-collectors would'nt know what that meant. It's kind of like saying ,"authentic plastic" or "real reproduction" ,"limited issue." I wish I could make my own coins out of 10c worth of cheap base metal and 12c worth of gold, call them genuine (genuine what?) and sell them for "the unheard of low price of $29.95 + $9.95 shipping" ACT NOW! (or 6 months from now) Limited supply! (Limited to the amount of suckers, so really limitLESS) Full money back guarantee( MINUS your $9.95 shipping and a 6-8 week return time) Man I could make a "mint."