Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1981-S Susan B. Anthony Dollar (PCGS-MS67) Was Pop 1/0; Now Pop 2/0

I fulfilled a goal today that I started (30) years ago, back in 1983 ... FIND A SUPERB GEM MS67 QUALITY 1981-S Susan B. Anthony Dollar.

Thousands of mint sets later and decades of searching ... I got the grade report today...

PCGS-MS67!

I promised a dedicated dollar collector that if I slabbed one it was his ... so this coin is going to a nice home.

But, if anyone out there thinks this modern coin from the 1980's is not tough to slab up in MS67 grade ... please get another one graded from PCGS so I can buy it for my personal modern coin collection!

I did get another remarkable coin graded as well .. a 1986-P Kennedy Half Dollar in PCGS-MS68+ which I am keeping for my Kennedy set. I am not sure if this is the only clad MS68+ Mint State Kennedy Half Dollar ever graded in the 20th Century (i.e. 1970's, 1980's and 1990's)? Perhaps it is tied with another coin or two... I will have to double check. There are MS69 graded clad mint state Kennedys beginning in 2001 and forward in the 21st Century. I hope to get nice pictures of this 1986-P later this year.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    Congratulations on the grades! image

I can understand why you like the SBA dollars, you being a young man when Susan B was trying to get the “women suffrage” issue addressed. But why would you want to collect such an ugly coin like the Kennedy half dollars. image

You should just send me the new 86-P MS68+ Kennedy that you made so you don’t have to look at it anymore, I will make sure you never have to look at it again…… image
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too funny! image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • The SBA is an impressive upgrade Mitch!
    Thanks guys.

Wondercoin
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on slabbing the 1981-S SBA $1 in PCGS MS-67!

Now you've become the second member of the elite groupimage
    Cupronik: Did you slab coin #1?

Wondercoin
  • I thought Dr. Golan slabbed #1.
    Yes.

Look up invoice #3125574 (PCGS rec'd 12/9/2003 and shipped out 2/12/04.)

I enabled the "shared" feature of this invoice either in 2011 or 2012 for the current owner of this 81-S SBA.

(Not computer-saavy enough to provide link.)
    Well, then I am in exclusive company!

Wondercoin
  • CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    great feat!
    Can you touch on your experience and how they graders bullied you around on it until you finally got one?
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• He hit it pretty quickly. No sooner than I told him he would never pull it off, he had it. Thank goodness we did not bet money.
    "He hit it pretty quickly. No sooner than I told him he would never pull it off, he had it. Thank goodness we did not bet money."

That is pretty much it. The coin is "worthy".

Wondercoin
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    So for my own wondering mind, what is a roundabout vaule on a 81-S MS67 $ and a 1986 MS68+ Half?

Congrats on the grades.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    "Thank goodness we did not bet money."

You probably would have given me odds too!!

Wondercoinimage
    "So for my own wondering mind, what is a roundabout vaule on a 81-S MS67 $ and a 1986 MS68+ Half?
    Congrats on the grades."

Guitarwes: The 1986-P Kennedy Half Dollar in MS68+ is the finest known grade for a clad 20th Century example (there are -2- MS69 graded coins for 2001-P and many more newer MS69 graded Kennedy pieces as well). It will be interesting to see what the Price Guide editor values it at, if he decides to put a value on it at all. The undergrade MS68 coin (pop 1/1) has a Price Guide value of $3,500.

The 1981-S SBA has had a Price Guide value of $8,500 for the pop 1/0 coin for a long time I believe. Here is an example of the Price Guide being too low (IMHO) on a modern coin price. I would have paid more for the coin (sight-seen), especially as the pop 1/0 example (and I even asked the owner this year about buying it, but it was not for sale). So, now the coin is pop 2/0 with the price of $8,500 still showing. I, personally, still believe the Guide is low on the coin at that level, even as a pop 2/0 coin. But, of course, to most collectors, a nice $500 or so MS66 example of this date is plenty of coin for a HUGE savings buying one grade point less.

Wondercoin
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply Mitch. Straight forward coming from the modern master.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Sweet !!!!
    Congrats
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    SHEET FIRE!

I would think the value on the SBA would be somewhere around $15K...
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mitch. Did you find the coin in a mint set or was it a previously slabbed coin that upgraded? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    Mark: not 100 percent certain of its origin as I have owned the coin for the better part of a decade or two. Since another board member owns the coin, it is probably not appropriate for me at this point to comment on its short journey into an ms67 holder. If I owned it now, I would have been happy to discuss the journey in some detail. it's a great coin in the right home now. Wondercoin.
    Sonoran Monsoon:

I'm still waiting to see a True-View photo of this coin in your registry set.

• << <i>Sonoran Monsoon:

I'm still waiting to see a True-View photo of this coin in your registry set. >>

I won't be getting anymore trueviews done until spring of next year. I store most of my coins in Safe deposit boxes in another city, so I will not be visiting the coins until then. However, it will get done, along with other new acquisitions.
    I'm kind of surprised that PCGS doesn't have this coin photographed on Coin Facts.

PCGS needs to update Coin Facts and, at least, note that the condition census now has two MS67 examples (instead of one MS67 and one MS66+)

Just want to see what the new MS67 looks like.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.

The '81-S is only Gem about .3% of the time so a 67 is a herculean feat.

I've looked at ~3000 sets and my best is a 66 (but it's a nice 66).
    Tempus fugit.
    I think true MS-66 examples are a good value today, considering how tough they are to find.

The population for this date will continue to stay very low in comparision with the other issues in the SBA $1 series.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think true MS-66 examples are a good value today, considering how tough they are to find.

The population for this date will continue to stay very low in comparision with the other issues in the SBA $1 series. >>

MS-64's and 65's can be had for a song.

It's difficult for me to believe these don't have a lot of potential if collectors ever get serious about clad.

Imagine what an SBA variety would sell for if you needed to go through more than 300 mint sets to find
    one but this is how tough just a nice typical Gem is. The '70-S sm dt cent appears in 10% of sets and
    sells for $40 but a Gem '81-S is far scarcer and sells for nothing.
    Tempus fugit.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go! That rocks!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com