Home U.S. Coin Forum

Authenticating 1928 Peace Dollars, Why doesn't VamWorld recognize...?

....the same die varieties?

OK. I found this website OI Coins - 1928 Peace.

There are 3 different "authentic obverse dies" described here. Yet on the VamWorld site there are only two. What's up with that?image

I have owned and observed instances of both the Type 1 and Type 3 genuine '28's on the OI site. But I don't understand why the VamWorld site only specifies two die varieties. Can Someone in-the-know please explain.

Cheers!

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are actually four different obverse dies known for 1928-P dollars, one of them very rare. Back at ANACS we used to note the die # on the work sheet, and after doing hundreds of 1, 2 or 3 found one that did not match. The coin was high grade and unquestionably genuine. We called it Die #4. I don't think I ever saw another one.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are actually four different obverse dies known for 1928-P dollars, one of them very rare. Back at ANACS we used to note the die # on the work sheet, and after doing hundreds of 1, 2 or 3 found one that did not match. The coin was high grade and unquestionably genuine. We called it Die #4. I don't think I ever saw another one.
    TD >>

Hey TD!,

I am curious if the OP link shows 3 die varieties, do you have a link to the even rarer 4th die variety?

Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • I have an article from CW by Michael Fahey that shows the four obv. die characteristics. I'll have to look for it, I'm not sure what issue it was in.

Edit: I think the Counterfeit Detection Guide by Fivaz shows the four dies also.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer is that Leroy Van Allen only lists two die marriages, so VAMWorld can't list more.

This brings up an interesting point, however. For 1928, detailed diagnostics for authentic dies beyond what is in the VAM listings are known and documented. It's also critical to be able to be able to authenticate any raw 1928 Peace dollar due to the easy alteration that can be done to a 1928-S. Leroy should list each known die pair separately so that the VAM listings could be used for authentication, and could probably be easily convinced to do so given subject coins he could study. For most other dates, he would consider these diagnostics "too minor to list" and then ignore them, but 1928 is a different animal.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Roberts from ANACS has just updated the 1928 VAM 1 page to include decent pictures of the four known obverse dies. VAM 2 may actually be one of these four rather than a fifth.
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John Roberts from ANACS has just updated the 1928 VAM 1 page to include decent pictures of the four known obverse dies. VAM 2 may actually be one of these four rather than a fifth. >>

Thanks John!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file