Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SCANNING BASEBALL CARDS | Best buy?

Hello all,

I need to find a new scanner, primarily for the purpose of scanning PSA-graded cards for uploading into the registry as well as eBay auctions. I previously used a Canon, which was a decent scanner for speed and ease of use. However, I thought that the clarity of the scans could have been better.

Does any have a recommendation for a fast, high-clarity color scanner?

Thanks,
Min

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    This scan was done on an Epson Perfection 636U. I heart my scanner. image

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Also an epson, this one is a perfection 4490. I think around $150 or so now

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Min. I have an Epson V100. Very happy with it.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    That Nitschke is unreal. Is it a reprint?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Min.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Canon 4400f. Under $90, kicks a**s.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Welcome Min

I think all those fancy scanners are over rated.

The key to scanning cards is using the right settings and resizing the scan the right way.

Ive used a cheap $49.00 Wal-Mart Cannon scanner and got very satsifactory results. Until I worn it out! LOL

Now using a Canon CanoScan D123OU. Nothing fancy. Standard flatbed scanner.

I think the results are as good as any you will see no matter the $$$ amount of the scanner.
    Scanning with the right settings is the Key.

Graded Cards?

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    No Problem

Raw Cards?

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage

Also not a Problem

Smaller Items (Stamps)

• Options

<< <i>Hello all,

I need to find a new scanner, primarily for the purpose of scanning PSA-graded cards for uploading into the registry as well as eBay auctions. I previously used a Canon, which was a decent scanner for speed and ease of use. However, I thought that the clarity of the scans could have been better.

Does any have a recommendation for a fast, high-clarity color scanner?

Thanks,
    Min >>

as others have alluded to, you can get good results from an inexpensive scanner... the type of scanner is what's critical - you need a CCD scanner.

there are two main types of flatbed scanners: those that use CIS technology (contact image sensing) and those that use CCD technology (charge-coupled device). CIS is desirable as part of a multifunction device since the scanning unit is thin. unfortunately, the tradeoff is that it only scans flat objects. the thickness of a psa slab is enough to cause the card to appear blurry. you can play with the sharpness using photoshop, but it won't help much. the other type of scanner uses CCD (charge-coupled device) and can focus through objects of thickness. the tradeoff is that the scanner is larger, but it still fits on a desk.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I use an Epson Perfection. I scan an average of 100 items per week and It's the best scanner I've ever used.

BTW I think I paid $125.00 for it.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for Epson Perfection 4490 Photo...best scanner ever!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an Epson Perfection V200 Photo and it does a great job. I don't remember the exact price but it was under $100.

It did all the scans on my HOF Registry set.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Hi All,

Thank you to everyone who took the time to response to my question. After reviewing the feedback, I decided to buy an Epson scanner (Epson Perfection V500 from Staples). I am very happy with the clear, crisp scans that it produces.

Happy Holidays,
    Min
  • Options
    Awesome CJ! You should try scanning that with the scanner lid open. I think you will like the results. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey