Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Nolan Ryan Thread

It all starts here.

Comments

• CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Scott;
    I have no clue... but I know I won't bother to submit mine either!

Nick;
    Thank you. I may call upon you one day to perform a service for me... that day may never come... but if I do call upon you I will count on your loyalty.
    I was just reading ESPN's list of cursed sports franchises and old Nolie supposedly has a hand in the Rangers' cursed chances to win it all:

35. Texas Rangers
    Curse of Robin Ventura
    Look, when that old man grabbed Robin around his neck and knocked him silly, let's just say Ventura's hike into the mountains of Tibet that winter paid off with a certain spell he cast over the Rangers.

I wonder if Nolie was beefy enough to contend for the heavyweight title?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Many thanks to JonB for some Nolans that were packaged securely enough to survive a hurricane (3 bubble mailers and plenty of packing material inside a large priority mail box).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i would be interested in the following if anybody has them?83,84,85,86 donruss action all star, 84 donruss champion,89 donruss traded, 86,87 drakes,89,90 topps mini,90 topps big,88,89,90 and 91 topps and opc box bottoms full panels? sombody here has to be able to hook a brother up! >> >>

I have a bunch of unopened packs of 84 D Champions. At least 2 have Nolan showing in them. I also have some raw cards of 85(?) AAS and perhaps some of the Topps bigs. Email or pm me.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Gonna try to throw up some new scans of my set tonight. I'll try to catch up with about 10 cards or so that don't have scans at all, and try to redo the discs to show front and back.
    And done. Should have scans of all 156 cards. Only a few hundred more to go.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    i know he had this up last week and i didn't have the cash but this week was a different story . i see this is a 3 pop so am i missing something? either way i am happy. also picked up the 89 donruss best 10.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackstraw...

Nice pickup on that '88 Topps Big BB. I paid $42.50 for my PSA 10 about a year ago.

Steve
  • I'll say 6. Hope you get more though. Good luck.
    I'm gonna go Price is Right style and bid one, Bob.

At least that way, with my luck, you're guaranteed a few.
  • JonBJonB Posts: 495
    I guess I'll go with my lucky number 11.
  • Hey Jon,

I received the cards today and they are great. Thanks a bunch and I look forward to future dealings.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i'm going to be overly optimistic in your favor, and guess 28. image
    ·p_A·
    where is keith and steve been?btw i am hoping that curtis haug makes it on the thread today. i emailed him but he is having a hard time getting registered and i am not a road map when it comes to computer stuff?
    had some more birthday leftovers so i picked up This and This i was thinking about putting a bid in on This but then i would have to buy a horse?
    here is how we stand with the pool? zero is a guess if anybody wants to use it.
    ajw 5, jimtb 11, nick 8, mryanf 7, ranger63 5, scott 9, zanesdad 6, muddy 1image, jon 11, perry 28image.....
    Collector Focus

• << <i>where is keith and steve been?btw i am hoping that curtis haug makes it on the thread today. i emailed him but he is having a hard time getting registered and i am not a road map when it comes to computer stuff?
    had some more birthday leftovers so i picked up This and This i was thinking about putting a bid in on This but then i would have to buy a horse?
    here is how we stand with the pool? zero is a guess if anybody wants to use it.
    ajw 5, jimtb 11, nick 8, mryanf 7, ranger63 5, scott 9, zanesdad 6, muddy 1image, jon 11, perry 28image..... >>

With the prices that you have been picking the stuff up, you should be able to stretch that b-day money a long ways. Nice grabs. You finally got your Moo-town I see.
    I am looking for Nolan Ryan cards, esp. OPC and rare oddball issues, graded or not. Also I need quite a few 1956 Topps, PSA 6 or higher

Current Sets in Progress:
    1956 Topps Master Set PSA 6 or better
    1978 Topps PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Donruss Golf PSA 9 or 10
    1989 Upper Deck PSA 9 or 10
    Nolan Ryan Master Set
    Pete Rose Master Set
  • I think you'll get 14 10's. Very nice pickups too, you are movin' on up.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess 10.

You've got two guys both claiming 5 (ajw and ranger63).

Bob
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you'll get 14 10's. Very nice pickups too, you are movin' on up.

Brent >>

Brent - is that you thats working on a Henderson Master and Basic set also?
    ·p_A·
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm not a Nolan Ryan collector I've been reading this thread from the beginning and have found it quite enjoyable. I think that those of us who collect players from the 70's-80s have a ton of information that can help each other because of the overlap in sets. One thing I've been wondering though, how'd all of you come to collect Ryan?

I collect Reggie because the Yankees were on TV every Saturday when i was a kid and so I naturally grabbed the biggest star on the team. I also collect Gary Carter because I was a catcher as a little kid and for some reason I decided he would be my favorite catcher. In my 20+ years of collecting I've noticed that Nolan is only surpassed by Pete Rose in the number of collectors (70's up) and I've always wondered, "how'd that happen?"

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

<< <i>(nolan is included in the lot - and you show the Willie Stargell pic????) >>

Jeff,
    They show the Stargell because the Ryan looks like this (cut off on the right) and they're afraid of scaring bidders:

I noticed we have a new face bidding on Ryan items... the ID is "tavelingvaz"... anyone know who it is and if it's someone on the boards?He also seems to be a big collector of '69 football.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    You guys have probably seen this, but I stumbled across it and wondered what the NRMS guys think.

Nolan Ryan "Plastic" Proof
    That is a composite matchprint proof of the back of the card consisting of the two spot inks used to print the card back. This proof looks legit, but for the most part this seller sells tons of various Ryan proof stuff that is of dubious origin at best.
  • Keith,

I used to bid against travelingvaz several months ago but I do not remember what cards he/she was bidding on. I hope we get an into soon.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
    Why you should NOT let your cards go on the Atkins diet.

Crazy that it already has a bid at 9.99.
    if you request that the ryan is put into the holder on the front will psa do this? i may be the only person this bothers but i still think that the canseco is the back of the card. it has the copyright at the bottom so wouldn't that make it the back?

Collector Focus

• John,

I agree, I always hated looking a George Brett and Jose Canseco for those two 1989 Stickercards, it would
    have been much nicer seeing Nolan and Frank on the front. image

Scott J.
    [iI agree, I always hated looking a George Brett and Jose Canseco for those two 1989 Stickercards, it would
    have been much nicer seeing Nolan and Frank on the front. ]

That's exactly why I didn't bid on either of the two of these I've seen recently on ebayimage

Steve
  • Thanks Steve,

I don't get to eat any food this week because, you didn't bid on those. image

Scott J.
    Thanks Steve,

I don't get to eat any food this week because, you didn't bid on those.

Well Scott, I did bid on some of your other cards, but got outbid on each oneimage

I know, I know, I shoulda just bid higher on 'em...image

Steve
    Scott;

I did my part... I hope you can eat a nice T-bone steak with my winnings... on Friday after you have your turkey of course!

Can't say I'm thrilled with that '89 sticker either... I always thought of the sticker a the front and the card as the backing... Oh well, what do I know!
  • Steve & Keith,

When I submitted those 89 Stickercards, I even specified in the varity section that I wanted the Ryan side in front and I was a little cheesed off that they didn't put them in that way. I mean when your collecting Nolan Ryan, why in the heck would you want to see Jose Canseco? George Brett is Ok, but not Jose!

Scott J.

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    All,
    I have a couple of oddball Ryan items I thought I would make available to you Ryan guys before Ebay.

16"x24" Angels 1979 schedule poster featuring Ryan with 4 other Angels (carew) around him. NRMT/MT *really nice!
    8.5' x 12" 1979 Angels team photo Ryan, Carew etc EXMT
    1991 Stadium Club bronze replica card in original box NRMT/MT

Have pics. email if interested. thanks.

randall_shier@hotmail.com

Randall

Loves me some shiny!
  • All Nolan Ryan collectors,

Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!!

Scott J.

Everybody else, go #### yourself.

Just kidding - happy holidays to all.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody ever seen this postcard from 1969? Authentic Kodak pc with all the standard wording on back: 'Affix Stamp Here', 'Official Kodak Paper', 'Photo Post Card'. Might be a George Brace photo.
    ryan postcard
  • went to a show today and was about to buy a ryan rookie psa 8. the guy looked at me like i was stupid when i handed him a visa for $900. who carries thousands of dollars in cash with them? needless to say i settled for a 72 that has an outside shot at a 9 and a 73 that could be an 8.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Buying cards at cardshows are always cash transactions. Almost all dealers underreport their earnings (if they report at all) so they don't want to create a paper trail for the IRS or for state franchise boards with checks or credit card receipts.
  • none of the other dealer had a problem accomodating the visa!
    I've written checks and used credit cards numerous times at shows...never had any kind of problemimage

Steve
  • effeeffe Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Anybody need this?
    Ryan 300th
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>I've written checks and used credit cards numerous times at shows...never had any kind of problemimage

Steve >>

Hopefully they charge you sales tax as well and declare the sales to whatever state the sale was made.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I've used my plastic at many shows as well, usually the more established dealers are set up to take them. Many times, the dealer is a small time operator who does not have the ability to accept credit cards anyway - but I have seen a few with portable devices than can authorize and process a charge wirelessly. There are a few dealers that I know well that let me send them a check when I get home if I buy a big ticket card, so as not to deplete my cash stash.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody need this?
    Ryan 300th >>

I could use a copy for my Bud Selig master set.

Ryan 9.5

Same guy with the PSA 10 1969 Mantle - I wish I had the cash and know how to manipulate the graded card market like this guy can.

Sell high - $12,555

Buy low - $5,700
    This card just went for $7,399 in the Mile High auction - weird someone would turn it so quickly. As far as I can tell, it is the same card - did GAI stop giving the "First Graded" designator?

Mile High Auction card:

Thanks for putting the cert numbers on the back of the flip GAI.
    It's definitely the same card. Same scratches/cracks on the bottom of the slab (three on the left at the card corner and one under the "AN" in "RYAN").
    muddy;
    Nice pickup on this one! I guess he thinks if he could do it with a Mantle, why not a Ryan? But the buyer/seller of the Mantle made his money by crossing the card to a PSA 10 holder... I bet he picked up the Ryan with the same aspiratons, but no way in hell would PSA cross a GAI anything given the bad blood between the two... so now he's got it up for sale hoping to recoup his $8500... good luck to him!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    y doesnt he crack and submit? im thinking he doesnt feel it would get a 10. what does a psa 9 bring for this card?
    Good for you.
    i saw the ryan at the schriners show and it was real nice but you are taking a 4,000 dollar gamble just between what he paid and what a psa 9 could sell for? if he does a crack n cross it could be real costly but he gambled on the mantle and doubled his money. i would guess he would triple his money on a psa 10 ryan rookie?the thing that gets me is were was dimitri young on that card?i would have to say that would look real nice on his dvd rookie card thing he is handing out at this coming years all star game. or did that fall through?
    Collector Focus