Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1966 Topps Baseball Beginnings

I have spent the last couple of months consolidating and selling off some of my small partial sets to provide some focus on two particular quests. The first is the continuation of my lifelong pusuit to finish my 1969 Baseball PSA set. Virtually stuck at 82% it has been very difficult winning auctions or buying cards that I need now reasonably. I have resigned myself to upgrading and considering future pursuit of raw material of the cards to grade myself what I need to complete.

I am, however, passionate about cards... especially 1960's issues.

Therefore, this is sort of an announcement and a fact finding mission all in one. I now have the beginnings of a modest 1966 PSA set started. Building this set is all about that passion and not about investment value. With this set I will operate under the premise that NRMT cards or PSA 7 cards, when you come right down to it are pretty nice cards. There was a time when, if you built or had a complete 1960's or earlier set of NRMT cards it stood as a proud achievement; a very nice set. Today, with the advent of grading, it is hard for us all not to let this become a numbers game.
I am building this set because I like the cards; accepting PSA 7 material as nice makes accumulation of PSA 7 or better doable, completeable, and allows me to make good progress in a passionate way. I suspect I will pick up a few 8's along the way too because sometimes they are there and waiting and awfully cheap. You get the idea.

The question - To those in the know about 66' or currently building the 66' set; what are some of the less obvious nuances about the set and why do you feel passionate about building and completing it? Looking forward to kicking this around with any of you 66'ers who might be out there and am glad to join the club. This one will not be a false start! I promise. By the way I am not registered yet with this set but figure I am around a modest 6% complete.

Thanks.
RayB69Topps

Look forward to any and all responses!
This is a great forum.
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• To my fellow 69' comrades - Just so I'm clear... this in no way minimizes the priority importance I place on my 69' set. It will always be my primary passion and a lifelong pursuit to complete and upgrade.

That aside, this 66' adventure will be a lot of fun.
    RayB69Topps
  • Oddly enough, you are collecting the two main sets that we are. I think the 66 set is outstanding but chose it largely because it is my birth year. Unfortunately this set is difficult to build. Not a lot of cards on Ebay or in stores. That is at least in comparison to 1969. I wish you luck! If I accumulate any dups I will keep you in mind and hope you do likewise.

Taz
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball

• I can't speak for graded '66 Topps, but I have built two complete 1966 raw sets. One sold about 5-6 years ago. The other I have in solid NM qualilty, but will never grade it given the current market and overly critical grading standards.

The set has few, if any key rookies (Sutton & Fergie being the exceptions). Mantle and Rose are supposedly double printed. Mays #1 card is plentiful and affordable. Far and away the toughest part is finding the high numbers. I haven't checked the population report, but finding raw '66 high numbers is next to impossible. I am of the belief that '66 highs are more rare than '61 highs.

So you may have quite a challenge ahead. On the other hand, '66 competition doesn't seem to be very stiff, so you may have stumbled upon a strategy that will work: PSA 7+ 1966 Topps. I wish you well. At the very least, it will be a great diversion while you pull your hair out on the last 18% of 1969.
  • Not that I collect the set, but I remember reading an article somewhere 10 or 15 years ago that broke down the set as to difficulty and I always remember that the author stated that the Choo Choo Coleman was a difficult card to find in high grade. I do not know for certain if this is still true but for some unknown reason this has always stuck with me. This set also has the Jim Palmer rookie don't forget.

BOB
  • I have been working on my 66 set for about 6 months now. I started by buying a raw partial set. Mostly commons. The 66 set is one of my favorites. I love the cards with the bright pink/rose backs. They are really easy to read. The three major stumbling blocks for me are centering (this set is brutal on centering), the high numbers especially short prints (I can find them raw but they are usually in lousy condition) and believe it or not the first series (I think this one may be particular to me). I think the toughest star in the set to find centered in NM-MT and above is the Aaron. I have also had an awful time finding a nice Bobby Richardson. I just found one ($20) and submitted it. It should 7 and has a legitimate shot at an 8. I have several dupes in 7's and 8's with a few minor stars (i.e. Cepeda, Niekro, Morgan, Drysdale ....). Email me if you're interested.

Enjoy,
    Doug

PS Watch out for centering on the back too. I have seen well centered fronts with 0/100 centering on the back.
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • nortynorty Posts: 201
    I just wanted to echo Doug's comments on the 1st series. I've been doing this for quite a while now and I have found the first 100 cards to be as difficult as any 60's issue. The paper stock for 66's shows wear easily and it just seems like 66's are hardly ever marginal, there either really nice or very ratty looking. Centering is an issue though not as bad as the 69's.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    TOPPSGUN - As coincidence, the other day I charted the '66 PSA-8 pops to see how tough the high #'s are. My theory is that since all the high #'s, not just the SP's have a high $ value, many have submitted them, while raw low #'s that book
    for $2 or $3 haven't made much sense to pay the grading & shipping fees to slab. My theory was correct, there was dozens of low, mid series and semi-highs that had single digit pops and I belieive all the high #'s (523-598) had double digit populations. Not that a pop 12 high # is that easy to locate, just that there are a ton of other '66's with miniscule pops. And Oh! Yes! I know, I have much too much time on my handsimage ...jay
  • pcpc Posts: 743
    i think i know a thing or two about this set.
    the toughest nm-mt (psa 8)cards seem to be,
    24 DON KESSINGER
    43 DON LANDRUM
    108 BOBBY KLAUS
    111 GARY PETERS
    140 JIM MALONEY
    188 AL LUPLOW
    216 AL BATTING LEADERS
    224 AL PITCHING LEADERS
    234 YANKEES RC ROY WHITE
    292 JIM COKER
    293 MIKE SHANNON
    446 MACK JONES
    450 TONY OLIVA
    471 BOB SKINNER
    507 JOHN EDWARDS
    511 GIANT ROOKIES
    524 GIANTS ROOKIES
    539 ASTROS ROOKIES
    544 CARDINALS ROOKIES
    555 RON PERRANOSKI
    556 MEL QUEEN
    559 ROBERTO PENA
    561 CHOO CHOO COLEMAN
    562 RUSS SNYDER
    the major issue with 1966 cards is tilt.
    good luck with your set,prices are dropping
    so buy those 8s at minimum bids!
    pc(#3 registry)
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Keep'em coming. I am officially listed on the 66' registry as of last evening. Those collecting 66' should bump into me from time to time. Gives me something else to focus on while I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the rest of those 69's. ;-)
    RayB69Topps
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray - Looks like the dreaded Mike Shannon made yet another list of challenging cards. Perhaps you want to reconsider your choice of sets to build? imageimage
  • John - Believe it or not I got my hands on a gorgeous 66' Shannon just this week raw. I will wait for the appropriate registry special to send it in with some other nice 66' commons I acquired. I wish the 69' had been this easy...or perhaps I shouldnt count the chickens yet knowing about the ol' Shannon curse and all.
    Your certainly one of the guys who knows how passionate I am about the 69's and even a PSA 7 Shannon has escaped me numerous times.
    Thanks for your support though. Your 100% continues to inspire me to get there.
    Warm regards.
    RayB69Topps
  • pcpc Posts: 743
    never seen one(#293)
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • There was a time when, if you built or had a complete 1960's or earlier set of NRMT cards it stood as a proud achievement; a very nice set. Today, with the advent of grading, it is hard for us all not to let this become a numbers game. Text

so true....
  • I decided I would display scans for my NRMT 66' effort. As you can see NRMT cards have very nice eye appeal. As long as you exclude those cards that are grossly off-center it remains my contention that you too can enjoy building a vintage 60's set, be budget conscious, and be truly happy with the process and the quality of those cards you acquire. Enjoy my scans; none of those currently registered on this set display scans.

Finally, if you peruse the registered sets from the 60's you will find others have taken this approach. It also makes completion a much more realistic goal.

PSA 7 is just a number. Look past it; underneath it lies a truly desirable vintage card.
    RayB69Topps
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Ray> There are a lot of sets I'd be perfectly happy with in NM/7 and build on a budget. . .
    59T. . .60T. . .63T. . .66T. . .

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.