Home U.S. Coin Forum

US Mint Promotion - shopping bag?

So, I just received this email from the US Mint offering a cloth shopping bag (with prominent US Mint logo/gold coin and writing) if i spend 75 bucks. Maybe I am a little paranoid but would anybody really want to parade around town advertising anything from the US Mint? We all know that one of the downsides of this hobby is that for the most part one has to keep it pretty private for safety and security reasons. That is just the way things are these days. So, why would I go around town with a US Mint bag telling the world that i am a customer? Years ago, I knew someone who used to use bank canvas bags to pack his personal effects and take the bag with him on trips. His body was never found.

So, please tell me I am ridiculously paranoid here.

Comments

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, I just received this email from the US Mint offering a cloth shopping bag (with prominent US Mint logo/gold coin and writing) if i spend 75 bucks. Maybe I am a little paranoid but would anybody really want to parade around town advertising anything from the US Mint? We all know that one of the downsides of this hobby is that for the most part one has to keep it pretty private for safety and security reasons. That is just the way things are these days. So, why would I go around town with a US Mint bag telling the world that i am a customer? Years ago, I knew someone who used to use bank canvas bags to pack his personal effects and take the bag with him on trips. His body was never found.

So, please tell me I am ridiculously paranoid here. >>

Got the email and never even realized a free bag was offered.image
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    United States Mint Shows the Love with New Customer Promotion

WASHINGTON – The United States Mint today launched a new promotion to express its appreciation to customers. Starting today, customers will receive a free, reusable shopping bag branded with the United States Mint logo with a purchase of $75 dollars or more.

“As one of the largest e-retailers in the nation, the United States Mint prides itself on fulfilling thousands of orders every day, on time and to our customers’ satisfaction,” said United States Mint Deputy Director Richard A. Peterson. “This promotion serves as a simple means to thank our customers and remind them how much we value their investment in genuine United States Mint products.”

The “We Love Our Customers” promotion launched today with an email message thanking patrons for their support and offering the gift with purchase. Web elements, including a kingpin on the home page, banners on the United States Mint’s online catalog, and social media content also shared the message of the United States Mint’s appreciation for customers. The reusable bag is available while supplies last through orders placed on the web at www.usmint.gov, at the call center at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468), at retail locations, and t the American Numismatic Association’s spring conference taking place later this month in Atlanta.

The United States Mint was recently recognized by the American Customer Satisfaction Index for attaining a ranking similar to or higher than the best private sector companies. The Index, which measures sentiment among federal government services, gave the United States Mint a benchmark ranking of 94 out of 100 for its customer call center service.

“As the marketplace provides more and more choices for customers to spend their dollars, it’s important not only to thank our customers for their support, but also to engage with and seek input from them to help us improve the way we do business,” said Peterson.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    My first thought when I read the email was very similar to the OP's. Spend $75 or more and get a free bag to use that announces that you are a coin collector.

Nope.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they are looking for free advertising at their customers expense
    LCoopie = Les
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first thought when I read the email was very similar to the OP's. Spend $75 or more and get a free bag to use that announces that you are a coin collector.

Nope. >>

I'll wait for the license plate. image

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to get one and embroider my home address under "return to if found"
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    PCGS now will grade these bags
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, I just received this email from the US Mint offering a cloth shopping bag (with prominent US Mint logo/gold coin and writing) if i spend 75 bucks. Maybe I am a little paranoid but would anybody really want to parade around town advertising anything from the US Mint? We all know that one of the downsides of this hobby is that for the most part one has to keep it pretty private for safety and security reasons. That is just the way things are these days. So, why would I go around town with a US Mint bag telling the world that i am a customer? Years ago, I knew someone who used to use bank canvas bags to pack his personal effects and take the bag with him on trips. His body was never found.

So, please tell me I am ridiculously paranoid here. >>

Well, I guess it really depends on how often you take your coins with you whenever you go out. I seldom if ever have a reason to take my coins anywhere. But you must be paranoid with leaving them at home and that makes you a target. I mean, if you are regularly seen carrying something with you, don't you think someone is going to get curious about what you have? hmmm Just how ridiculous do you feel now?
    I guess this says a lot about gun laws and concealed weapons. While I have no ambition dressing up for combat every time I go out, my daily reads suggest....it's headed that way. How's the stock doing with bullet-proof vests? Anyone know? image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I stopped into this small relatively unknown Grocery Store , Aldi, today to finally try to figure out why they even
    exist. I mean with my favorite , Meijers, in operation, how can this place survive?

Well I go into the place and its hardly got a selection at all. Prices are not really very good either. Especially for no name
    brands.

Finally I take my few items to the registers and only 1 checkout is in operation. When I pay for my 2 items they don't even
    bag them up. Im thinking " what is this - Sams Club - in miniature scale" ? LOL

So if I had brought in one of those free US Mint bags I'd have been set.

Now what do I need thats at least $75.00 ? Thats a tough question when the current line is such junk. Its about as
    appealing as the selection at Aldi.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    If I got one I would just use it indoors around the house.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I stopped into this small relatively unknown Grocery Store , Aldi, today to finally try to figure out why they even
    exist. I mean with my favorite , Meijers, in operation, how can this place survive?

Well I go into the place and its hardly got a selection at all. Prices are not really very good either. Especially for no name
    brands.

Finally I take my few items to the registers and only 1 checkout is in operation. When I pay for my 2 items they don't even
    bag them up. Im thinking " what is this - Sams Club - in miniature scale" ? LOL

So if I had brought in one of those free US Mint bags I'd have been set.

Now what do I need thats at least $75.00 ? Thats a tough question when the current line is such junk. Its about as
    appealing as the selection at Aldi.
    image >>

Just recently I saw a guy pay $381 at Hyvee for one cart full of groceries. He bought the most expensive brands he could find. To me, pickles are pickles, pop is pop and Aldi's carries some of the same dairy products as Hyvee, where I'm at. How do I know all this? I'm good friends with a dairy farmer. And if you were able to check the code numbers on the containers in my area, you would agree. Even the containers are the same. But they get different labels before they're trucked to Aldi's. Oh, and chicken is chicken, pork is pork and beef is beef. Do I need to say more? Cheese is cheese, lettuce is lettuce, potatoes are potatoes, rice is rice, ketchup is ketchup......... image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    A bag from the Mint might be handy to carry around your stuff at a coin show.
    Matt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file