Home U.S. Coin Forum

Have you seen those Littleton envelopes with graded coins?

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
My shop bought about 30 different type coins - all of them are in little Littleton envelopes with assigned grades.
I'm no expert, but they seem to be fairly accurately graded. I bought these two just for fun.
What would you grade them?

My photo's aren't the greatest, but go ahead and give a guess. I'll post photos with the envelopes here shortly.

1868 2 Cent piece.

1921 Morgan - Cool obverse die cracks. I haven't looked it up yet on vamworld.
I think despite the reverse little divet, they undergraded this morgan.

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF45, MS 62... from the pics, that's what I would grade them, and I've purchased several with graded coins.
    I'm preparing a submission now for some I purchased from a gal. Have I got a suprise for her when we get finished. I'll just say L.O., and behold. Littleton has long been at this. I'm not usually disappointed in what I've seen. They're pretty good. So I'm curious... what did the label say ? Please don't make me wait as long as PCGS does image
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Littleton grades fairly conservatively and is mostly consistent with their standards. If they need certain coins they often pay significantly more than others. Their sell prices are another story.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Littleton has a strong reputation for fair, and even conservative, grading --- i.e., if you order an Indian Head cent in Fine, it will have full LIBERTY.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Littleton grades fairly conservatively and is mostly consistent with their standards. If they need certain coins they often pay significantly more than others. Their sell prices are another story. >>

Exactly what the shop owner & I were talking about. Most coins in the bunch were pretty accurate, only a couple we felt were better than the assigned grades.
    Here's the two coins beside the envelopes.

Here's the Morgan - I think it's MS63 with some bonus die cracks for character.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear their grading is conservative. How's their pricing?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to hear their grading is conservative. How's their pricing? >>

No comment.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, Littleton is dead-on with grading with a slight leaning to the conservative side.

Pricing ... well, you pay for the approval service, beautiful catalogs, direct mailing, and convenience. Seasoned collectors looking for a bargain are not Littleton's clientele. They leave those folks to Legend Numismatics. image

Keep in mind that Littleton does pay strong prices for nice collector coins.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file