Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Oak Tree Shilling Genuine grade

Hello all. I have a 1652 Oak Tree Shilling graded Genuine by PCGS. It was damaged due to clipping (51.23 grams). It is the "IN" at left variety. Hoping to pick your brains for a best guess on its value. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Condition aside, the weight - or rather lack thereof (since a full weight piece = 72 grains) - reduces the value considerably.

I'd say somewhere in the low teens.

• << <i>Condition aside, the weight - or rather lack thereof (since a full weight piece = 72 grains) - reduces the value considerably.

I'd say somewhere in the low teens. >>

I would agree.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Thanks ColonialCoinUnion. I knew when I purchased it that it was clipped down significantly and sent it in just to get it tombed as real. I knew better grades are fast out of my price range so to get this one, I was very happy.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all the coin is "too round." Some clipped some metal from it, probably long ago. These pieces are almost always oblong in some way because they were struck on a rocker press that rolled them out instead of squeezing them with the screw press type of action. Second the piece has been flattened, not worn, by something like a hammer or vise.

You can compare it with this one, which has some “as made” sins, which plague almost all of these pieces.

<< <i>Thanks ColonialCoinUnion. I knew when I purchased it that it was clipped down significantly and sent it in just to get it tombed as real. I knew better grades are fast out of my price range so to get this one, I was very happy. >>

Yes Oak Tree pieces are scarcer and more desirable than Pine Tree pieces, especially the small planchet Pine Tree shillings. This one is probably worth $7,000 or so. One that is only slightly better than this gets into 5 figures.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Condition aside, the weight - or rather lack thereof (since a full weight piece = 72 grains) - reduces the value considerably.

Wow, that is considerably more than I expected. Is it a better variety (or can you even tall from the image)?
  • Thanks NewEngland. I value both of your input and as always, I am in awe of your inventories.

• << <i>

<< <i>Condition aside, the weight - or rather lack thereof (since a full weight piece = 72 grains) - reduces the value considerably.

Wow, that is considerably more than I expected. Is it a better variety (or can you even tall from the image)? >>

It looks like a common (though popular) Noe-1 variety, and that is what I based my estimate on.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always a kool coin to have... Nevertheless. image
  • Agreed BillJones. She isn't the prettiest but she needed a new home. image
  • NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks ColonialCoinUnion. I knew when I purchased it that it was clipped down significantly and sent it in just to get it tombed as real. I knew better grades are fast out of my price range so to get this one, I was very happy. >>

Owning a piece of MA silver is never a bad thing! Any colonial has a ton of history associated with it. Enjoy it!
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana

<< <i>

Owning a piece of MA silver is never a bad thing! Any colonial has a ton of history associated with it. Enjoy it! >>

Yes, I agree. Owning an Oak Tree shilling is very cool. Very few collectors ever get there. They own a Pine Tree shilling at best.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I also agree that it's probably a NOE 1. I was researching it prior to sending it in to PCGS. I had sent it to NGC first but it was body bagged so I was happy enough to get it slabbed by PCGS.
  • I'd say somewhere in the low teens.Text

WOW! $13,000 - $14,000?!?! Really?!?!? image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate you guys. I hate you all!
    I have been fighting back the need/urge/desire/need to get a MA silver piece and each time I see a thread like this, I get closer and closer to the cliff!!!

I, and my bank account, hate you all!!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>I hate you guys. I hate you all!
    I have been fighting back the need/urge/desire/need to get a MA silver piece and each time I see a thread like this, I get closer and closer to the cliff!!!

image >>

Let me give you a little push...

imageimage

• << <i>I hate you guys. I hate you all!

image >>

Jump! Jump! Jump! image

I'm a Darksider but HAD to have one of these. Just great history there.

<< <i>

<< <i>I hate you guys. I hate you all!

image >>

Let me give you a little push...

>>

RYK - I hate YOU most of all image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Here's a nice one from CRO...

imageimage

It has Bochiman written all over it. image
    I check out their site almost daily.........

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

I've always enjoyed this photo.....Dug by one metal detectorist in New England.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
    Here the one that got me started 20+ years ago. I failed to win one in a C.E. Bullowa mail bid auciton in the mid 1980s. Then I bought this one from Tony Terranova at a Boston Baystate show a couple of years later. A couple years after that I ran across the Bullowa auction catalog where the piece I lost was plated. Low and behold this was the same one I"d been out bid upon a few years before! It is a small planchet Pine Tree shilling, Noe 16. It is now in a PCGS VF-35 holder.

And yea, I paid $1,600 for it circa 1987.

imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someday, I will find one of these, while metal detecting old cellar holes here in the mountains.... then you will hear my exultant yell from coast to coast (via the internet of course - image ). Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Someday, I will find one of these, while metal detecting old cellar holes here in the mountains.... then you will hear my exultant yell from coast to coast (via the internet of course - image ). Cheers, RickO >>

If you are doing it in New England don't count out the possibility. There have been a number of hoards found in Massachusetts. The trouble is the coins are sometimes quite fragile. One collector related a story to me about a coin that fell apart which was found in the ground among a horde of Massachusetts silver pieces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file