Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this $10 bill worth anything?

I know this forum is for coins but I thought one of you might be able to help me. I found this old $10 bill the other day in some change I got back from the store and was wondering if it might be worth any thing more than ten dollars. I would really appreciate any help .

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    No dealer would give you more then $10 for it, but I think it's a neat thing to hold on to.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No dealer would give you more then $10 for it, but I think it's a neat thing to hold on to.

-Paul >>

You can build a fine Silver Certificate collection just from searching bills in circulation at face value... it's a good way to save some dough too! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the message boards. You can try your question in the currency forum and see if you get a different answer over there.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    It's not quite a silver certificate, is it? More like a Federal Reserve Note.
    "Redeemable in lawful money", whatever that is supposed to be.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Probably little if any premium but I'd hold onto it.

P.S. there is a currency forum here. On the main forums page, scroll to the bottom and you should find it.
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize this was your first post, image to the boards!!!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry I didn't see the currency forum before I posted this.
  • direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry I didn't see the currency forum before I posted this. >>

Welcome to the boards.

Stick around a bit and you'll find plenty of cool things that you can look for in change.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not quite a silver certificate, is it? More like a Federal Reserve Note.
    "Redeemable in lawful money", whatever that is supposed to be. >>

Oops I didn't scroll down far enough to see the whole note image

Someone dealing with hard times in this economy must have pulled this from a drawer, etc.

It's tough to even find 1950's series bills in circulation today, let alone a 1934... neat-o find! image

I'm still hopeful to find a Brasher Doubloon in a roll of Sacajawea's... no luck yet! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Welcome!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buys a lot less than it did in 1934, but its still worth $10.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    I have a few of these 1934 $10 notes lying around; don't remember where I got them from. I'm pretty sure you can get around $12.50 ~ $15.00 apiece for them though.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Before they added the:

"In God We Trust".

Ed
  • mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    I have the same one, also got it in change and in about the same condition. It has a "book value" of ~30$ in that condition, which means you can probabl get 9$ for it. As someone else said, its just cool to keep.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Get rid of it.. The bill you have has possible swine flu juice on it... Can you imagine where that note has been.image
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    My Mother (God rest her soul) got this one in change a few years ago also. I switched it out then for the current 10 spot. They have a tendancy to stick out like a sore thumb.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    The 8th edition of Schwartz-Lindquist has both notes listed as $11 in VF. Keep them if you like them, don't feel bad if you spend them though.
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    $14.99-$25 on eBay LINK
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey woodenjefferson- that 10 spot you posted looks to have some nice toning in the portrait frame!!!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • That note will never be worth more than $10.

Spend it
  • I got one in change a few years back.....gave it to my daughter who asked me to sell it for her on Ebay.....I got $14 for it...hardly worth the time of listing and the trip to the post office image

I would just hold onto it as a keepsake......good ice breaker for sure.
  • eggboneeggbone Posts: 615
    Cool note. Worth $10
    I would keep it "just because.

• KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

These notes stick out like sore thumbs on those rare occasions you cross paths with one. A similar $10.00 came to me in change a couple of years ago when we lived in NY. I kept it for awhile and then put it back into circulation. I've long since given up on the notion I should keep everything interesting, rather than allow someone I'll never know to have a nice find.
  • Try looking at APMEX.com and see if they have any for sale and that will be around what it is worth.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hey woodenjefferson- that 10 spot you posted looks to have some nice toning in the portrait frame!!! >>

Hey....I could list it on e-Bay as a "Monster Toned" $10 Bill

I'm rich Bawhahahahahaha!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    I think that you could get $15.00 for it.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Adjusted for inflation
    probably around $4.00
    please send to me postage paid
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • It as a common $10 Series 1934A Federal Reserve Note (Green Seal), worth about face value. If it were a $10 Silver Certificate (Blue Seal) it would be a keeper, however.
    Find a way to do it today.

Peace,
    Steve
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I got a $50 like that, I held it for a few years then decided it was costing me $50 to keep it. I offered it to someone for $50 just to find a home for it and make someone happy.

Ed
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I'll pay you via PayPal $11 delivered. You'll only lose a dime or so plus the cost of an envelope. imageimage
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Adjusted for inflation
    probably around $4.00
    please send to me postage paid >>

Don't laugh, those days are near or already here..imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file