Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's March 2012 BALTIMORE SHOW REPORT w/lots of pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wednesday : My flight was very early in the morning and when I arrived at the airport, it was nice to see some familiar faces since several PCGS folks were leaving on the same plane as me. Then when I got to my connection in Houston, the plane had another bunch of coin people, some of whom were seated in my row and the immediate surrounding rows. So it was great to be able to chat with other coin dealers during our flight, and then even share a taxi to our hotels. The best thing when I arrived in Baltimore was that the weather was so wonderfully warm - I felt like I was still in SoCal!

Here’s a photo of the city from my room

After settling in, I met up with Rick at M&S Grill. We sat out on the patio that overlooked the harbor and the USS Constellation. It was so great to have dinner and drinks outside in such comfortable weather with beautiful scenery – made me feel like I was at home!

Mmmmm, the Guinness tasted so good!

Rick was checking the Stacks Bowers auction which was going on right then

After dinner, we met up with some other folks at a familiar Shula’s Steakhouse. I always look forward to getting together with and catching up with my dealer friends at these coin shows. But with the all day traveling and time change, it was soon time to call it a night.

Thursday: Set up for the dealers began at 8am, but I try to give Todd a head start setting up his photography equipment before I arrive so we’re not in each other’s way, so I didn’t arrive until around 9am (that’s my excuse, and I’m sticking to it!). Here are some photos of the convention center and lounge area.

The wonderful Whitman show helpers!

We were on a waiting list to get a better booth location and finally were able to move a little closer to the center of the bourse so we had new neighbors, including a very pleasant surprise - Matt/BillyGoatsGruff who works for Pinnacle was right behind us! We had a good time throughout the show bantering back and forth and shooting rubber bands (ok, I admit that was only a one-way activity). Unfortunately, I forgot to take his picture!

Mark Feld was Todd’s first customer, so of course I had to get the obligatory Feld funny face photo for my report!

Also, another familiar face (Goldbully) stopped by early to say hi

During setup, the show was already beginning to buzz with all the activity that goes with unpacking and organizing a coin booth. The usual early birds were all over the bourse, and I had several dealers bring me some great coins that I bought for my inventory, including a beautiful magenta-toned proof 1866 2 cent piece. I can’t wait to see how Todd’s image of this beauty comes out. Here’s a group of some of my pretty newps.

The public was let in around noon, and there was quite a crowd who steadily began streaming in and soon filled up the bourse.

MsMorrisine stopped by and brought me a very nice bottle of Napa cab, for which I was very grateful since I would have had to hunt some down at a local store since I don’t usually bring wine with me when I have to fly to a show. He also brought a huge pile of blue PCGS boxes that we gave out.

After the show on Thursday, I met up with a bunch of folks at my favorite chain restaurant PF Changs for drinks and appetizers. (I especially love their dumplings!)

I was in the mood for something sweet, so I asked the bartender to make me what I call a “foo foo drink.” She created this wonderful blue rum-filled concoction called a “Poolside.” That’s the kind of drink that could be dangerous as it goes down so smooth and then kicks you in the butt before you know it!

We then headed over to Da Mimmo’s Italian restaurant for dinner where we met up with even more folks.

Rick Snow, me, Brian Wagner, Neil (Rick's FBI agent friend) and Steve (another friend of Rick's)

Me and Neil

Now let me just say that this place is a little pricey but I’d count it as one of my top 5 restaurants of all time, and probably in my top 2 Italian restaurants of all time. Every dish was extremely tasty, the staff was over-the-top helpful, and the wine was superb!

I loved their fancy personalized plates!

This oyster appetizer actually had a live little fish floating around in the glass below the oysters!

You can never go wrong with Silver Patron

I had the most yummy lobster dish I’ve ever eaten- it was served in a burgundy wine/garlic cream sauce.

And their lamb was so huge (25 oz. I think) that even split in half each piece was more than sufficient.

Oh, and did I mention their garlic bread? It was the BEST garlic bread on the planet – just ask anyone who’s tasted it!!!

The atmosphere was also very nice since the room we were in only had about 10 tables – there were even a couple other groups of coin dealers having dinner.

And the walls were covered with photographs of famous people who had eaten there over the years.

So if you ever want to know how to find a good place to eat after a coin show, just ask a coin dealer!

After dinner we all went to our now familiar dueling piano bar – Howl at the Moon in the Power Plant district.

Once again, we had a ton of fun – that place is such a hoot! The same guys who played when we were there last November were there again. They have a lot of personality and really know how to engage the audience.

The “top that dollar” message board with my typical message

Souvenir tee-shirt
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friday: It was an absolutely beautiful day!!! Baltimore was bright and warm, even in the morning.

The public was let in at 10am and there soon was a large buzz all around the bourse. All of the aisles seemed full of collectors on the hunt. Todd and I were quite busy well into the afternoon, which was unusual for a Friday.

Todd photographed an extremely amazing toned Indian cent proof collection!! They were all PF66 and PF67’s with one PF68 which had to be the most perfect Indian cent I have examined. I was literally drooling because my mouth dropped open as I peered at each one of these stunning pieces. Each one had gorgeous and vibrant neon colors – from intense St. Patrick’s day green to electric royal blues and violet purples – all with deep glass-like mirrors. Every time I looked at another piece, I gasped in awe. The owner told me he spent years compiling this collection, some of which he bought raw and got holdered himself. Being able to view in person such one-of-a-kind and extremely beautiful pieces like these makes it worth having to share a booth with Todd!!! (JK of course!) Hopefully with the owner’s permission Todd will be able to post some of them but in the meantime, here’s a mediocre picture of a picture of just one.

I bought some more inventory pieces, including a really nice 1877 Indian cent in PCGS AU50 and a hard-to-find PCGS MS63 BN 1867/67 Indian cent – both of which lasted about an hour in my case then went to new happy homes. I also bought a few more beautiful Conder tokens to add to my personal collection which I submitted to NGC, along with several others I had bought over the past few months. One new piece is extremely rare and I was very pleased to add it to my collection. I can’t wait to get those little puppies back in my hands!

Here are some of the Conder tokens that I submitted to NGC for grading

Several of the usual forum members stopped by, some of whom I didn’t get a chance to photograph because I was quite busy, but here are a couple of them.

Shorecall/Leon

Leebone/Leo and Penny

PCGS was busy as usual!

TeleTrade and one of their cute hardworking young reps, Sydney

And here’s Todd actually working and selling some of my coins to a customer!!

Friday night after the show since we all enjoyed the appetizers at PF Chang's we decided to just go back there for dinner - it's right across from the Power Plant district

Some of the same group as Friday night!

There was this adorable duck couple that just hung out all evening right next to the patio

There was one weird incident while we were having dinner on the patio. A guy on the sidewalk next to the patio just passed out and started having convulsions. I called 911 but the guy eventually woke up and didn't want any help because he said he was sniffing from a can of the stuff that you use to clean computer keyboards. He then stood up and just took off running. Very strange!

After dinner, I was pooped so I just headed back to my cozy bed and watched a movie.

Saturday: I arrived early (early for me is any time before 10am!) so I could get my Conder tokens ready to be submitted to NGC and to finish some inventorying and paperwork. It was relatively quiet on the bourse until the public was let in. Then the buzz began again. Whitman reps told me that there was a larger than usual attendance for a Saturday, perhaps due to the change in weather from warm and sunny to cool and rainy.

Here are a couple more forum members who stopped by…

Crypto/John and his very cute little guy Paddy

Halfhunter06/Chris

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to charge my cell phone/camera Friday night so my batter was very low and I had to keep it teathered to my computer for recharging and wasn’t able to take as many photos on Saturday.

Then before we knew it, it was time for Todd to begin packing (he had a 4pm flight), then as soon as he left for the airport, I had to pack since I had a 5pm flight. I don’t know about other coin dealers but for me, traveling to and from a show by air is the most stressful part of being a coin dealer. I get very anxious and tense each time before I fly to a show because I am thinking about all the things that can go wrong– forgetting something crucial, being followed by some unscrupulous person, being hassled by TSA, missing my flight, etc. So I am not very chatty during this time and hope if you happen to stop by during this time, you’ll understand.

Luckily, however, so far all my travels have gone relatively smoothly with no significant issues, and thankfully this trip was also uneventful. I arrived at my terminal, headed to the bar/restaurant nearest my gate for a snack and my usual pre-flight beverage.

I even ran into some other coin dealers who were on my same flight (which is actually reassuring since we tend to “watch each other’s back” – they were as equally exhausted as I was!

One of my poker playing buddies, Bill

The Baltimore weather sure changed on Saturday being cloudy with dreary rain all day. I saw our plane sitting on the tarmac in the rain and began looking forward to getting home.

I soon boarded my plane and once again began the long journey home where my sweet hubby was waiting for me!

So my overall thoughts and impressions of this March Baltimore show are that it was a very well-attended show and we were very busy, but from my own experience and from talking with other dealers, this particular show had more than its share of people who were “just looking because I didn’t bring any money” and “just wanted to see how much you’re selling your coin for because I have one just like it” and “can you tell me how much each penny in this baggy full of 1950’s wheaties are worth” and “I have this coin that has a weird thingy on the date, can you tell me what it’s worth even though I left it at home” and my favorite, a guy says, after looking at 30 different coins in the exact dates and grades requested, “nope, didn’t see anything I like.” But of course I understand that is part of this business and is also what teaches me more patience than my kids ever did (and probably why I REALLY enjoy having a glass of wine at my shows!!!).
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    amazing journal charmy as always...what a life ya live i'm sayin...glad it went nice for ya
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking stack of newps!
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Another great set of pics and captions there Charmy.

I wish I had the time to make it out this weekend...it was even my spring break too!!! image
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Charmy, you always make being a coin dealer look so darn enjoyable! Thanks for another great convention post.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Another great report Charmy! To all of you who go to shows and never have time to charge your cell phone; Get an "Emergency" battery backup. My favorite is the Eneloop 2xAA as Eneloop batteries last longer on the shelf than other rechargeable batteries.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love reading your reports, Charmy. Always makes me regret not being able to attend on these cool shows. I might make it to Central States and if I do, I'll enjoy stopping by and getting to see your beautiful smile once again.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    I never ever tire of your reports and all of the photos. Keep 'em coming Charmy. They are very appreciated by many on these forums who can't attend the major shows.

Mike
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Tell me more...

• ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Interesting report. Baltimore is one of the best eating cities in the country!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    I was with halfhunter06, but my face is too big as it would take up the entire camera!

My favorite picture was of the "cute" representative from Teletrade.

Nice to see you as usual Charmy. It was a nice day out for me while picking up a few bawbles.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, enjoyed your report and pix. I also agree.. coin dealers know the best places to eat!
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always look forward to your reports Charmy and this one was as excellent as always... Wow that collection of Injuns Todd was imaging sounds amazing...

Thanks again... ABimage
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Looks like Teletrade has the right business model.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great reportimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, wish I could have been there, looks like it was great!
    Oops, forgot some photos (and story about a weird incident) from Friday night, so I just added them.

Catbert, sorry, I'm not going to Central States this year so we'll have to catch up at another show.

I knew you guys would "enjoy" seeing Sydney, she's a very pretty young lady, that's for sure, but she is quite hard working and seems good at her job.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy... Valpolicella is one of my favorite Italian wines... Cheers, RickO
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Tell me more...

image >>

Thanks Charmy, great report......always appreciated.
    It is truly a labor of love, just as you mentioned to me at the show.

Oh and Chris, her skirt is tied up like shoelaces on her backside.....a very handsome woman indeed. image
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd been waiting for your report, thanks, enjoyable as always.
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent report, as usual! Thank you!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They apparently make kevlar thread now.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't introduce myself while I was waiting for Todd to put my pics on a disc. You looked a bit busy so I didn't want to interfere.

Also saw crypto79 and Kevin Flynn at your table while I was there Friday, but I guess I was just too bashful to introduce myself to them as well. image

And that lovely lady caught the eye of my friend that was with me a few times. I had a good time busting him for it too. image
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, great report as usual. I watch for your report after every major show....your variety of images, from setup, to show, to dinner, etc makes me feel like I was there. I know this takes a lot of time. It is appreciated!!!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, wish I was there.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Charmy's camera would make me look fat...then I realized that being fat made me look fat. Sheesh, though...I didn't realize I was that old. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy: I GOTTA do Baltimore one of these years. When I do, can I drink wine and laugh with you?
    Please.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, you have the best show reports! I love reading them. Almost as good as being there.

Thank you for the effort!
    Lance.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, great report.
    Really kinda makes me feel like I was there(somewhat!).
    Nice to see Charmy enjoying the other fine things in life besides coins also(wine, food & friends).
    Thanks.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Baltimore is my favorite coin show town. I have been to all 4 ANA shows there. Maybe some day I can get to a Whitman show.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report! I wasnt there but still ended up spending a bunch on a coin my dealer found for me! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    On his way home WTCG avoids getting stranded in Houston by an eyelash then ends up at LAX on an unintended stopover after being downgraded back to Economy class only to find out he got written out of the show report...image

Anyhow it was a good show overall and my retail oriented tablemates agreed with the observations regarding the general public.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, I really enjoyed reading and viewing your Baltimore Show Report.

The PR Indian Cent is so very nice image
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Great report as usual Charmy. Thanks for sharing for all of us that could not be there.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
    Thank you once again everyone for all your nice comments!

There were lots of forum members who stopped by but didn't make the photo blog, including Wei who has a good pulse on what's going on at shows, with dealers and with auction vendors, etc. He is always fun and entertaining to chat with, especially since he is the most traveled dealer I know!

Kevin Flynn also stopped by for a chat - he is an accomplished author and has an encyclopedic mind.

I thoroughly enjoyed a nice conversation with Chris Pilliod about Conder tokens - he is a metallurgist and knows everything about how coins are made and is a founding member of the Fly-In Club (Flying Eagle/Indian cent coin club).

Halfcentman, I'm very sorry I didn't get to chat with your or take your photo for my report - next time for sure!

LostSisler, I will check out that battery charger you mentioned, it definitely will come in handy!

Dennis, you definitely should put the Baltimore show on your agenda, and I will certainly look forward to having wine and laughs with you!!

LogPotato, I'm sorry too I missed meeting you, please do introduce yourself next time and allow me to take your photo for my report!

Several forum members stopped by to to say hi but consider themselves "lurkers" and chose not to have their photo taken. Others drop off coins for Todd to photograph and I sometimes don't get a chance to chat with them or take their photo because they are either in a hurry, busy with Todd, or I'm working with another customer. But if any forum member wants to be in my report, please just ask because sometimes I forget to ask you!!

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    Becky
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just by reading this report I feel like I gained ten pounds and I feel hungover. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another great report Charmy! To all of you who go to shows and never have time to charge your cell phone; Get an "Emergency" battery backup. My favorite is the Eneloop 2xAA as Eneloop batteries last longer on the shelf than other rechargeable batteries. >>

I have a credit card sized thing you charge and it will charge you iPod or phone a couple times. Great for overseas flights!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Tell me more...

image >>

Oh and Chris, her skirt is tied up like shoelaces on her backside.....a very handsome woman indeed. image >>

Handsome is not the word that I would choose.

How do you spell image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great report. I will need to get down to the city again for one of these shows. It's too close for me not to go. Just wasn't good timing for this show, but your report and the great photos was the next best thing image
  • 3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Charmy,
    I was one of those 'lurkers' who stopped by briefly Saturday afternoon to introduce myself and comment on how much I enjoy your show reports. I left your booth with a super cool Penny Lady 1/2 ounce copper medal. Thanks again, and great report on the Baltimore show!
    --Craig
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Charmy for the very thoughtful journey!

Like MJ, I got a nice buzz off of reading and viewing your appetizing pics. 'Happy Hour' begins with your bright and effusive nature!

I agree with the flying part as once I make it through security I begin to relax rather than wondering if I forgot to unpack form of arms.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> and my favorite, a guy says, after looking at 30 different coins in the exact dates and grades requested, “nope, didn’t see anything I like.” But of course I understand that is part of this business and is also what teaches me more patience than my kids ever did (and probably why I REALLY enjoy having a glass of wine at my shows!!!). >>

sounds like a Cherry Picker.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great report, great food and great coins. thanks for sharing penny
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

I always always always always always enjoy your show reports with all the pictures and the play by play action. Thank you for taking the time to do this for us folks who can't go to shows.

I bet that collection of Proofs was stunning.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    By the way, did anyone notice a very interesting connection between the first Conder token and the last one I posted in this thread? Take a close look at the King....... Scroll down for the answer......

The "Oyster" Conder was struck on an already struck "King" Conder token. You can see the word "oyster" going from north to south right down the middle of the King's face! That's why I bought both Conder tokens!
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Has anything been schedules with Pawn Stars yet? I hope I didn't miss the show. BTW, did you teach Rick a little about "Pennies"?
    Paul
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Da Mimmos is great food as always but it is really, really expensive. I miss the food but I don't miss eating away my profits for the day over one dinner.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Charmy. Your thread gave me pleasure from reading it, and imagining what I could have enjoyed in Baltimore. Been about a decade since I attended Baltimore Show.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file