Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's Sept 2011 LONG BEACH SHOW Report w/lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry I’m so late in getting this posted but luckily the show was steadily busy, and I haven’t had much time in the evenings to post either. Anyway, the show is now over, and I’m glad to be home relaxing.

So here’s a recap of the show…

Wednesday was set up and unfortunately, it was extremely hot and muggy on the convention floor the whole time we were setting up since the air conditioning hadn’t had a chance to cool off the room until the very end. But one good thing was that PCGS hosted nice COLD free beer and snacks for all the dealers.

PCGS Folks

Here’s me!

After set up was over, a few friends and I headed to our “usual” Wednesday night dinner spot (Piccolo’s Italian restaurant) for some great food and wonderful wine (sorry, I forgot to take photos of the wine but it was yummy)!

On Thursday we had good public attendance, and I did a lot of wheeling and dealing, buying a ton of new coins, including a large lot of especially nice raw coins.

I bought a beautiful 1909-S vdb in PCGS MS64+ RB that was 90% red – it lasted about 4 hours and went to a very good home! I also bought a really cool 1863 Indian cent pattern in copper (J-299) and picked up my lots from the Heritage internet auction.

When I had a chance to get away from my table, I checked out all the interesting exhibits on display, including of course Mike/Illini’s 1908-S grading set which I had seen before, but I still enjoy looking at all those 1908-S Indian cents in one place!

I also saw CoinTalk member Brad/Acanthite’s young daughter’s beautiful exhibit displaying different critter coins from around the world….

Thursday night before we went to one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, we did a little tequila tasting with three different tequilas (Don Julio 1942, Pardiso, and this very nice Deleon, which was my favorite.

I am thankful to all the forum members who stopped by throughout the show – here are photos of some of them, as well as some of my dealer friends….

Ricky/900Fine

Lee/19Lyds

Chris/ChrisRX

John Ruiz and Larry Shapiro/PQPeace

Rick Snow/Eagle Eye

Mark Feld – he’s demonstrating how to “endear” yourself to coin dealers – we especially like it when you cover our cases with your drink and bag!

Glenn Holsonbake/PonyExpress and Dennis/Dennis88

Logan from VAMS & More and his beautiful daughters

A forum member who preferred to stay anonymous!

In front of Todd’s table, there was this kind of a vault on the floor that had a loose plate cover and was sunken down about an inch or so. I was walking up to Todd’s table and stepped on the plate which made the lid flip up a little and caused me to trip and almost hit Todd’s table. So I told our hosts about it and they finally had it covered up on Saturday with this bright black and yellow tape – and it happened to match my outfit!

Todd and his floor hazard!

Friday night we went to Madison’s for dinner – that is one of the most beautiful and wonderful restaurants I’ve ever been to. It used to be an old bank building (Federal Bank and then Farmers & Merchants Bank) and looks probably 3 stories high inside. It has a beautiful mural on one of the walls and beautifully carved wood throughout.

We had three different awesome bottles of wine….

The food was fantastic, as well as this very sweet “piano” dessert….

Our waiter gave us a tour of the basement area which has an underground passage that goes under Pine Street to L'Opera restaurant (another wonderful local restaurant). We saw the “secret” passage ways” as well as this huge old bank vault.

There was even this neat old cash register….

Saturday was very slow, and the public seemed sparse. There were many vacant tables near the front of the room, but I can tell you the back of the room was quite full of dealers. I prepared and delivered all my raw coins to PCGS for grading, then finally began writing my show report. Then around 4pm, it was obvious the show was over so we began packing up.

Here’s my good friend Rich who has been helping me at my local shows for several years (many people call him my “show hubby”!) He’s a great guy, loves coins, has a wealth of knowledge on all different denomination coins – and has an amazing and diverse collection of high end coins, but he too especially loves Indian cents.

And here’s me and my cart all ready to roll out - but not before one last sip of wine (note my special customized plastic The Penny Lady wine “glass”!!

Overall, it was a really good show, I had some great sales, and bought some wonderful new coins! My next big show will be the Pittsburgh ANA – hope to see you there!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Great report... can't wait to attend this show! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A really fun report . .and superb pix!!!!

I guess since the tunes have taken a back seat (and Stairway may be passe) , maybe a bottle of wine will be in order? I have a small but elite cabinet, and maybe a bottle at a future LB may be in the offing. We'll see. Just a matter of me being able to get there!

Have fun!

Drunner
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been to a show for several years, and a lot of the people look older. Not the Penny Lady, of course. And I know I don't either.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Love all the pics Charmy. I always appreciate you taking the time to post.

Mike
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Great pic's as usual !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I wish I went with you to Madison's instead of the Heritage Auction "special" buffet.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for posting

nice to see a different bourse from afar!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bringing out the wine late in the afternoon is way too civilized for coin dealers. You'd think Longacre was starting to have some influence or something image
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bringing out the wine late in the afternoon is way too civilized for coin dealers. You'd think Longacre was starting to have some influence or something image >>

That's right. We prefer malt liquor when we're patient and rubbing alcohol if we're not.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • I always enjoy looking at these. Thanks for posting!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy... and a nice selection of wines.... I really like the Cabernet's... although I will not pass up other good red wines. Cheers, RickO
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy the Charmy Coin Show Reports and pictures. Thanks Charmy for taking the time out to make sure the forum members get a good taste of what is going on at the shows image

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was good to see Charmy at the show, she tends to liven things up.....
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    The show was mostly ZzZzZz... image
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kool report Charmy !!! Like always... Those educational displays look AWESOME !!! image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Back home image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are now stocking Pinot Noir's, I'll have to look you up in Baltimore. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, thank you everyone! Knowing that you enjoy my reports makes it more fun posting them! Though the smaller shows are more relaxing and intimate, I always enjoy attending the larger shows since I get to visit with a lot of old friends and I love making new friends.

Drunner, the Long Beach show pipes in their own music so I don't bring my iPod (I'm sure Todd is jumping up and down about this!), but just know that Stairway to Heaven will NEVER be passe in my book, and of course, a nice bottle of wine will ALWAYS be welcome!

Rick, you definitely missed out on experiencing Madison's great food and beautiful ambiance!

ChrisRX, there was lots going on towards the back of the room, and of course, if you hung out at my table in the afternoon you could have sampled a little wine which always seems to make any show even better - and it certainly seems to liven up my table!

Rob/RobKool, as usual, it's always enjoyable seeing you - you remind me of the Energizer Bunny, don't know where you get all that energy!

Len/Coinosaurus and Wei - as Wei has already experienced, what better way to "civilize" an event than with a good bottle of wine!

Ricko and Shorecoll, full bodied Cabs are always appreciated and a spicy Pinot is also very enjoyable, but tasty fruity old vine Zins are becoming my favorite!

(Uh oh, this is turning into more of a wine show report, than a coin show report!)
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

We enjoy your reports more than you know. It's almost as if we're there with you, especially to us that aren't able to go to shows. Please keep them coming. I know it's alot of effort, but you do such a great job!

-wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We enjoy your reports more than you know. It's almost as if we're there with you, especially to us that aren't able to go to shows. Please keep them coming. I know it's alot of effort, but you do such a great job!

-wes >>

And you don't have to hear the music!! image

BTW, that Feld guy is out of control......but he is off he hook after showing me some great coins at the show.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Charmy!

Another fabulous report as always. Love the pics you always embed in them too! Great pic of Mark Feld browsing haha.....I'll be sure and abuse him next time we talk image I don't collect copper but must admit every time I read your report I am more tempted to cross the line....and for some unknown reason I always want a glass of wine too image
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. I always enjoy reading them.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I just noticed your report, Charmy, fascinating as always. I wonder if any of the 1908-S cents are the repunched mintmark version?

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just noticed your report, Charmy, fascinating as always. I wonder if any of the 1908-S cents are the repunched mintmark version? >>

You'd think there'd be a good chance of having at least one out of 32 coins, but NOPE!!! Not a one! image

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To keep my report on topic, here's one of my newps! It's struck on a bronze/copper planchet!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file