Home U.S. Coin Forum

FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's CHICAGO ANA Show Report w/lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
After having my Saturday flight cancelled, I took a Sunday afternoon flight and finally arrived late Sunday night.

And I know my report is a bit delinquent, but this show has been one of my busiest shows ever! And I haven't gotten back to my room before midnight until tonight! I have tried several times to start a report, only to (gratefully) have another customer stop by my table. In a nutshell, this has been an exhaustingly wonderful show so far, with lots of buying and selling going on!

First, let me say that the weather here in Chicago has been wonderfully comfortable! Not to humid or not, with bright blue skies during the day and cool breezy evenings.

Day 1 (Monday):

I went to the preshow Monday morning, and my first impression was that this room is absolutely HUGE - probably the biggest showroom I have been in! However, the preshow was pretty sparsely attended at least on Monday morning, so I was able to sit and buy new inventory coins at my leisure from several of my favorite dealers - and buy I did! I bought at least 20 new slabs and many more new raw pieces! I even bought a stunning "Christmas tree" toned new 1882 NGC MS66 RB for my personal collection.

Everyone I spoke to said the preshow was not very well attended, though many vest pocket dealers said they did well. Part of the problem was that all the dealers were able to set up at the preshow at their regular assigned table so they wouldn't have to move during the main show. However, the showroom floor is so huge that having all the preshow dealers spread out all over the showroom made the whole room seem very sparse. I'm not sure what could be done to make it more successful, but the dealers I spoke to were not comfortable with the preshow set up.

Soon it was time to set up my table that I share with Todd/Blue62vette (table # 1235). Since Todd was still teaching his photography class, I had the booth to myself and could take my time getting everything in place so that when Todd showed up he would have the room to set up his photo booth. Since set up was scheduled from 3pm til 5:30pm, there wasn't a lot of time for those not already set up for the preshow to make the rounds before it was time to shut down for the night.

We decided to head to downtown Chicago to Little Italy for some Italian food. We ended up at this little Italian Cabaret restaurant which had ok food and a slightly stale Cabaret program. It wasn't bad, but not really my thing.

We then walked around downtown for a little while looking for a Blues club.

We came upon the House of blues but there were no available seats so we didn't stay long.

So I was beginning to think that my first night in downtown Chicago wasn't exactly what I thought it would be .... that is, until we found the BEST little Blues pub on the planet - Blue Chicago! WOW, what a GREAT place that was! The band was fantastic, so good that I even bought one of their CD's!

Day 2 (Tuesday):

Tuesday was fantastically busy from the moment I arrived. I took some photos of the crowds and lines on the way in - it's always a good sign when there are lots of people gathered to get into a show, but I understand it did take a while to get everyone registered and finally in the door. However, I am hopeful everyone thought/thinks it was worth the wait!

Larry Shepherd greeting attendees at the registration table...

The exhibit area

The showroom before the public was let in (it is HUGE!)

Todd and I were very busy all day on Tuesday, and many many forum members graciously stopped by to say hi (ok, many were there to have Todd photograph there coins and some even purchased a coin or two from me - THANK YOU!). Here are photos of several forum members who allowed me to take their photo for my report (notice how they are a lot less blurry!)....

Fred Weinberg and his assistant, Kathy, who are our neighbors!

Liz and Gayle with J.J. Teaparty

Stacks Bowers Guys

Ian Russell and me

Dan/Catbert

Tony at Northern Nevada Coin

Greg/Halfcentman

Pat/WindyCity

The whole day just flew by, but of course, I did manage to take a breather to open a nice bottle of wine that my good buddy Ron Sirna brought over!

Before we knew it, it was time to cover our cases and head out - we couldn't believe how the day just flew by! Since we signed up to attend the ANA Awards Banquet at the Shedd Aquarium we headed over to the buses. I took lots of photos at the aquarium and more, but it's quite late right now and I will post more tomorrow...
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• You might could load all your pictures to Photobucket and give us the link
    to look at them and save you from copy & paste here. I love a ton of pics.

I do that when I go to Daytona NA$CAR Media Day.

Thanks For The Ones Here They're GREAT !!!

• Nice post and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to keep us poor out of the loop collectors informed.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, yeah. There's a big show on.

Is that why the forums have been so dead lately?

I haven't been to a show since Charlotte ANA in '07. Thanks for the pix. Made me feel like I was walkin' the bourse in my Holey Coin Vest.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Charmy for another great report.

I always love the pics that you include. Keep em' coming.

Mike
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report as usual Charmy!
    Please post more when you get a chance.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear the Smithsonian has a set up.

Is it something you've already seen?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    As always, great reportimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy.. as always... and the wine looks interesting. I have not had the pleasure of trying that one....Cheers, RickO
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a pleasure see so many collectors here at the show. Whitman had a special booth showing of the set of Nova Constellatio patterns - the Mark, Quint, Bit and Five. These were designed as a monetary system where the base denomination was the basis of the other denominations, like the Japanese yen. Four Units was about equal to what would later be called a cent. The Mark was 1000 Units. This way the various state monetary rates could be justified with each other. It didn't fly and these four unique coins are what we have to show for the experiment. Soon after that, I stopped by Chicago Coin Co and met Walter Perschke who bought the "Other Quint" at the Garrett sale. This one features a different reverse and is also unique.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another great report Charmy. I enjoy these and really love your reporting style!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report and great pics charmy. by all means enjoy, best wishes john image
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and love the photos!
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Great report as usual. I live 15 minutes away and I cant get there image
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a great pleasure to see you once again, Charmy. Most bourses have grumpy old men hanging around and to see your beautiful smile several times certainly brightens up everything. I'm glad the show is going well for you, but I'm most happy that you did not steal my new piece from Rick Snow's new purchase inventory before I could get it! Here's to the rest of your week being as productive as its start.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.
    Now let's see a few coins that you lurkers picked up while there !
    Come on , don't be SHY, town.
  • great pictures thanks for sharing
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, Charmy, great report and pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic report and great pics (as you typically provide). THANKS! It's fun for me to see the faces of several dealers I've dealt with on the phone or via email.

Aren't little clubs like that the best? Some of my favorite times have been spent happening upon a great band in some off the beaten path smaller venue. Glad to hear you had fun and very much look forward to more reports from you.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day 2 (Tuesday) continued....

So after the show, we boarded the ANA bus and headed to the Aquarium.

David/ANA

Emily/ANA

When we got there, they had a nice bar set up out outside overlooking the bay and the city - what a beautiful location it was and the weather was once again wonderful!

Julian Leidman

My "posse"!

Then we went to the awards dinner - that's PonyExpress and MFH at our table!

And then got to tour the aquarium

After the aquarium, we went back to Chicago Blue - they had the same band but a different lead singer who wasn't quite as good as the night before, but still the rhythm and blues music was wonderful!

More shortly....

• Unreal Far Out Fantastic

And I don't know

Those Are GREAT !!!!
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Great job Charmy, I enjoyed meeting you at the show.
    Day 3 (Wednesday):

WOW, Wednesday was non-stop busy for both Todd and me! We couldn't believe how fast the day went by, and neither one of us even had time to take a breather (which is a good thing really!). Again, several forum members (and other dignataries stopped by too.

Don Willis

My fellow Tom Petty buddy - Jeff/Breakdown

Chris/Halfhunter

My other posse - Darth Vader and Stormtrooper

Darkstar

I also got to quickly visit Jonathan's amazing MPL collection at Legend's table - those are some STUNNING coins!

Todd did the beautiful photography for the background poster in the display

Another forum member brought me this bottle of wine from his young cousin's family vineyard and I plan to open it shortly!

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy:

Another rockin' coin show report.
    Please keep 'em coming!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful stuff, Charmy! I love the blurbs with photos and the storyline. Keep it up.
    Lance.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you guys are having lots of fun... really wish I could be there, especially since I grew up in the Chicago area!! Used to go to the Shedd Aquarium just about every other year for a school field trip. Thanks for posting and have fun!

• As always Charmy a great report
    Thank you for the time you take, to give us all a glimpse into
    a wonderful show
    Alan
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the pics... and how you tell the story. I was only there for day one, enjoyed finally meeting you and few other board members face to face, and had a great show. Keep the pictures coming!!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report, and it was nice meeting you and Todd.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Ditto what fcloud said
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • It was great to stop by and meet you and Todd as always takes great pics. I meet Walter Husak at the show that guy always has a smile on his face.....I wonder why? image
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    The photographer who took the Darth Vader shot framed it perfectly. Pure genius.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm guessing that Darth Vader loves World coins.

As usual, thanks! I always enjoy your photo packed reports.
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was very nice to meet you today at the "big show". Looks like you are having a blast. By the way, my wife's cousin lives in Marina Towers right next door to the "House of Blues". Harry Caray's is only a skip and a hop from there also. Great sandwiches!

Wish we could have gotten together on that Flying Eagle, but I lost my buddy in that big hall and he is the copper guy I rely on for advice.
    Best wishes,
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pictures. Thanks Charmy.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Thanks for the report!

That show looks many, many times larger than any show i've ever been to. I need to get out more.
    I want to visit Chicago some day.
    It was truly fun meeting/seeing all the forum members who stopped by - thank you for taking the time to say hi! I started keeping a list of everyone's names/usernames but I know I forgot to write down several of you.

Thursday and today have been extrememly busy again! Todd and I have been quite surprised at the consistency of traffic at this show. Instead of it dying down in the afternoon, it seems to pick up speed - for which we are very grateful!.

I missed the PCGS lunch yesterday but did manage to attend the Fly-In Club meeting today. We saw a lot of Indian cent countrfeits which were very scary since many of the counterfeits are so well done.

Any way, here are more photos I've taken through the past couple days....

A very interesting new error I picked up for my own collection

David Hall and me

Stuart Blay

Harry Lapstein's table

One of the cutest little guys I saw at the show! He was at my table doing the treasure trivia hunt

Ed/MrCoin3

Mike/MikeNoodle and Carlton/Wiggam007

Michael Hassler who won the award for the best Everyman Registry Set

Mike Ellis/new ANA Governor

Alan/Northern Nevada Coin

Ken Potter

The Twins Jeff and Bill

Jim Bush/Shrub68

David/Whitman Publishing getting his shoes shined!

The NGC Crew

The Pretty PCGS Gals

More later....

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I like this thread...I'm not in it.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice stuff Charmy! The MPL Display Looks Really Well Done. It must be really cool to see stuff like that.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Charmy great reports as always. It's been a busy show and the fatigue factor is setting in. Been here now 9 days with one more tomorrow. It's been fantastic seeing so many members from here and I just wish I had a bit more time to spend with each of you.

Had a great dinner with Airplanenut last night called Taboun Grill in Skokie. A wonderful meal.

MFH and I are going out to Vincent's tonight, a Dutch food place to belatedly celebrate Dennis88 birthday of last week. Dennis was going around PA and NY and NJ following Bob Dylan around until he got here Tuesday!

Hope to catch up with you Charmy after dinner at Chicago Blues. image

Glenn

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna get Dennis88 loaded - repeat loaded !!

Stand by for a few hard laughs... BTW - he's wearing "THE HAT"

He looks like one of the Blues Brothers in it...LOL
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm gonna get Dennis88 loaded - repeat loaded !!

Stand by for a few hard laughs... BTW - he's wearing "THE HAT"

He looks like one of the Blues Brothers in it...LOL >>

"the hat" and "the jacket"?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes - all duded up -
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy and great meeting you again.
    So, now the show is coming to a close and we've had a blast here in Chicago! But the very best part has been meeting SO MANY forum members (both PCGS and CoinTalk)! I know I've missed photographing some of you but meeting and chatting with each of you has been a pleasure. Please forgive me if I've left out any names, but here are some of the forum members we got to meet: MikeNoodle, Eichild, Dimeman, MFH, Vipergts2, Chip, Justacommem, Commoncents, Wiggam007, MrCoinB, Saltysam, Shrub68, Vess1, US656, JMW, Windycity, Rollerman, as well as all the "regular" forum members. Here are a couple more who stopped by our table.

Todd and Dan/BidAsk

Paul/Commoncents

Larry Shapiro

Yellow River Coins

I was finally able to get by the ANA exhibits, and WOW, there are some fantastic coins on display.

Here are some more YNs who stopped by my table to do the treasure trivia hunt

I bought a deal of beautiful PCGS Lincoln cents that I haven't even had time to put out!

Mike/MikeNoodle on CoinTalk and Matt/Renomedphys on PCGS forum ended up joining us for our last night out here in Chicago. What two great guys they are! It was great getting to know Mike who I've seen on the CoinTalk forum for years. We started with a couple of yummy drinks at the Embassy Suites Hotel....

Then we took a cab downtown and walked around for a while...

PT Cruiser car show

And then ended up back at Blue Chicago for another night of wonderful rythym and blues music! Boy was it packed - standing room only - and what great music. This band had lots of energy and played a full 2 hours before taking a break!

Ron and Mike

Mike, Me, and Matt

So, that’s about it for now, I’ll do a wrap up later, but I can tell you that it’s definitely been one of my best shows ever – both selling and buying! And from what I can tell from talking with other dealers, they have had similar comments!
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come no pics of your neighbor Rich? Is he hiding?

jom
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting a photo of the proof Columbian display... there are so many cool displays there but that's probably the display that I wanted to see the most. image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice seeing you at the show, Charmy. image
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a Blast downtown. Too bad it conflicted with the ANA banquet. We sat next to Ken Bressett, Bill Fivaz and Bob Chambell. Had a great time, buy alas, no R&B band.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    It was a pleasure meeting Charmy and Todd at the show!
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show report Charmy and super photographs.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file