Home U.S. Coin Forum

Alert be on the lookout for an 1898 HK-281 NGC PR66 stolen while in transit from Dealer.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Posted on behalf of dealer, it was overnighted by dealer yesterday. please be on the look out for it an NGC PR66
HK-281 Miss Expo Medal , btw it was won by the dealer in the StacksBowers Mar2011 auction.

Comments

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. Will keep an eye out.

You might make slightly smaller pics (or have someone do it for you), as to aid in identification. I can't really get a feel for the coin from the (overly large) photos.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fed ex has good security and with some luck they may fine the person and be able to return the coin.

I hope and pray for your coin to be found
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Wow, incredible looking medal! Been on the road for 3 months now and it seems to me people are getting, shall I say--more aggressive in their dishonesty. We have to be a little more careful these days, not that it would have made a difference in this case. Sorry you have to deal with this right now Realone-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...PURE BLASPHEMY!!!!! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as I noticed the thread title I knew the piece and felt ill.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You might make slightly smaller pics (or have someone do it for you), as to aid in identification. I can't really get a feel for the coin from the (overly large) photos. >>

Here you go:

That is a beautiful looking SCD. I hope you get it back!
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, incredible looking medal! Been on the road for 3 months now and it seems to me people are getting, shall I say--more aggressive in their dishonesty. We have to be a little more careful these days, not that it would have made a difference in this case. Sorry you have to deal with this right now Realone-----------BigE >>

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Beautiful coin. What's the valuation on it?

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>...PURE BLASPHEMY!!!!! image >>

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will never use fed ex again, they are just too big and will not investigate those who handled the package while in their possession. Now I see why people insist on registered mail at least the usps can account for everyone who touched it. Will fed ex do the same , i doubt it. If fed ex picks up a package from a dealer doesn't that let many who work at fed ex know as to what may be inside it as opposed to the case where the package is dropped off at a fed ex facility. >>

First off the dealer/shipper shouldn't use an addy that is an obvious giveaway to their business.

Secondly, if you ship something that FEDEX does not insure, you do so at your own risk or provide for your own insurance. I assume the dealer's insurance will cover the monetary loss.

Since there is no insurance claim, FEDEX will likely not put much effort into it. You may need to file a police report to get any action.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's heartbreaking. I'm very sorry. Such a beautiful medal, too.

I hope it turns up. Will keep an eye out.
    Lance.

P.S. Great photos, BTW!
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    That really sucks. It's hard to imagine in today's world where there are so many people out of work and so many suffering that somebody would play Russian Roulette with their livelihood like this.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics

What's really upsetting is that FedEx could easily get a list of every person that touched that package, but will probably do nothing unless the police get involved. Actually, you might want to contact the FBI, as it might fall under their jurisdiction (interstate transport).

~ Vince Lombardi
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    That really stinks! Hope you get it back .image
    Derek

EAC 6024

<< <i>What's really upsetting is that FedEx could easily get a list of every person that touched that package, but will probably do nothing unless the police get involved. Actually, you might want to contact the FBI, as it might fall under their jurisdiction (interstate transport). >>

I think they'd need to have it on camera/videotape in order to nail someone.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, it's enough to make me want to start collecting medals, as if I'm not distracted enough!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beauty. Probably eBay bound, or a pawn shop.

<< <i>

<< <i>What's really upsetting is that FedEx could easily get a list of every person that touched that package, but will probably do nothing unless the police get involved. Actually, you might want to contact the FBI, as it might fall under their jurisdiction (interstate transport). >>

I think they'd need to have it on camera/videotape in order to nail someone. >>

True. But if the FBI interviewed each person, it might shake up the thief enough to think twice about doing it again. Of course, the union would probably get involved & put the kibosh on everything.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is terrible... a great loss indeed. I would encourage you to file a police report to force some type of action. Doing nothing just encourages perpetrators. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>

<< <i>

True. But if the FBI interviewed each person, it might shake up the thief enough to think twice about doing it again. Of course, the union would probably get involved & put the kibosh on everything. >>

How many of the FEDEX folks who were on duty at all of the locations where the box would be expected to pass through would have the opportunity to tamper with it? Sounds like it was most likely done at the final destination or the delivery driver. Why would a driver deliver a tampered with box without asking how it got that way? I'd pay a visit to the local office and ask to speak with the manager and tell him I'll be filing a police report.
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

True. But if the FBI interviewed each person, it might shake up the thief enough to think twice about doing it again. Of course, the union would probably get involved & put the kibosh on everything. >>

What union?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is too nice of a piece for it not to turn up somewhere. Once it does, you just follow the trail backwards which ends at the thief.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deleted at the request of the OP. Don't worry, no one missed anything offensive or controversial.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Realone, what state was it shipped from, and to?

I don't collect SCDs but how awesome that is - what a horrible loss. I hope it shows up soon and just took a mistaken wrong turn in transit.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date on the reverse of that medal is really cool! Terrible Loss!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a FEDEX package ends up ''missing''....that probably means that an alternate shipping label was palmed over the original label.

A story related to me by a friend of mine...a FEDEX employee... FEDEX like any company hires from a large pool and obviously does a good job of screening hires. I have never come across a bad apple in that company and I do a lot of shipping of non coin items with FEDEX. A while back it seems, FEDEX was able to piece together a scenario whereby an internal ring of thieves who seemingly would never be connected with one another---WERE CONNECTED---and were responsible for a tremendous amount of high value theft. We're talking organized crime. Potential employees worked their way into being hired....it took years for this to happen. The subsequent thefts orchestrated by these employees targeted high value shippers....the thieves know when STACKS ships....they know at the jewelry convention in Las Vegas that packages going out do not contain Aunt Mildred's vacation diary. A thief takes a light next day envelope from a high value shipper, places a new label addressed to Fred the Fence over the old label and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Chances are --what's in that package has value.

That item might be hard to place for a fence. But if it was a typical high value coin...not so. If the pattern coin parcel was relabeled and misdirected...since it's so specialized...once the fence knows the market is slim, it's gone.

Sorry.
    Have a nice day
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    streeter, your message reminds me of the ATF and their advice re: shipping guns via UPS. Guns were being fence tossed so to speak and ended up missing before making it to their destinations.
  • PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    For what it is worth.... I have not seen this item for sale anywhere in the past 3 years..... I'll keep looking for it and alert everyone if I find it.
    So-Called Dollar Collector
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    that sucks and sounds like FEDEX treated you badly!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Very magnificent medal, I hope it gets recovered quickly.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never use Fed-Ex and have refused purchases off ebay when the seller demanded I use Fed-Ex

Here is my best story about Fed-Ex. I had consigned a dealer friend some coins for a couple a weeks. He returned around 25K in coins via Fed-Ex Signature Required. I came home and found that box of coins sitting on the hood of 1 of my cars in the driveway! Good thing I R honest or my friend wouldda owed me 25K!

Never open an account with Fed-Ex! I shipped a couple of packages overseas via USPS Global Gauranteed which is handled by Fed-Ex. Well...Fed-Ex billed me for a pickup and the cost to ship which I had already paid the USPS! Both times it took 6 months to get them off my back with the USPS backing me and a threat of a lawsuit!
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used Fedex and USPS over 1000 times each, UPS maybe 500 times, all for packages. I have had the most problems with USPS, and a few problems with UPS. Never had a problem with Fedex.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have used Fedex and USPS over 1000 times each, UPS maybe 500 times, all for packages. I have had the most problems with USPS, and a few problems with UPS. Never had a problem with Fedex. >>

This was my first issue with Fedex too, but oh what a lesson. They really don't care what happens to a lost package, zero liability. But the most concerning issue is as a customer you have zero weight to press them to do anything, they are absolutely unmotivated to help and you can't push them, or force, or threaten them to try to find it. It is as if they ahve zero interest. They never traced which employee had an opportunity to handle the package, nothing was done to recover the item that was remeoved from the box. They have zero liability and how does one prove that something was inside it was of the value you said it was. There is nothing that you can do to recover the contents of the package. An emplyee is free to cut it open and send it on its way through the shipping lanes and there is nothing you can do. Very disconcerting and I am certain few understand this problem with their shipping. They really aren't as good as USPS other than speed delivery. Maybe for documents that can easily be replaced/reprinted it is fine but for any object of value it is trouble. I can't believe any auction house or dealer uses them if they care about the coin. Sure a private insurance firm will reimburse a lost/stolen coin but who wants the cash when it is all about the coin! image >>

Unfortunately the same lack of motivation holds true for USPS and UPS.

You do realize that USPS express package delivery can't make it financially on its own. It is subsidized by first class mail rates. In other words if that Express package section of USPS were a private company it would cease to exist.
  • PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    I posted info on your loss on:

http://so-calleddollar.com/Forum/topics.aspx?ForumID=46

We'll keep an eye out for it.... it's not that big of a so-called community....
    So-Called Dollar Collector
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 2:20PM

Did anything on this SCD ever turn up? Has it been found again?

It's such a beautiful specimen that it's a shame it went missing way back in 2011!

Here's the photo again:

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly beautiful medal, I hope it turns up unscathed.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    << You might make slightly smaller pics (or have someone do it for you), as to aid in identification. I can't really get a feel for the coin from the (overly large) photos. >>

Here you go:

That is a beautiful looking SCD. I hope you get it back!

That thing is gorgeous all the way. What a sad deal.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file