Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

$480 for miscut cards?

auction

A miscut baseball card is probably worth only about 10% of one that isn't miscut. Is that not the case for MTG cards, or is this auction just a fluke?

Comments

• AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Too bad for the guy who pulled them from the pack and sold them to the seller. Thought they were worthless.
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    A MTG card miscut that badly can have some serious collectors value as this auction shows. Thing is it is such a small market for those who collect MTG miscuts, misprints that this card could easily go back up for auction in a month and only get $100.

Honestly don't understand how this one went that high, lucky seller.
  • Barfvader would beg to differ!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    But the seller says: "They went straight into a card protector sheet and are in dead mint condition."
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Not many on these threads, would have paid the $15 opening bid.

Live and learn!

rd
  • Demonic tutor is the most expensive card in the set, so that combined with the matching miscuts makes it more $$

Something about MTG sellers I do not understand, take this auction below, for instance:

$1,000,000.01 "buy it now" LINK

What is the 1 cent for image

And the seller says he has more than 10 available! image

rd

or another seller is offering this for $ 6,899.98

and expedited shipping for $ 2.99 image

rd

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipping a 7k card for $3 is insane.

The Black Lotus is a really expensive card in reality. Someone pointed these out to me one time and I tracked a few and the Magic cards can go for huge money.

• The "Beta" Black lotus is the second rarest/most expensive card in Magic, the most expensive being the alpha lotus (first release), the mox/power 9 in the first 3 sets are also some money cards (if you ever come across no symbol black border magic cards BUY THEM)

• << <i>What is the 1 cent for image >>

Seller likes palindromes. They're symmetrical. .lacirtemmys er'yehT .semordnilap sekil relleS

<< <i>Demonic tutor is the most expensive card in the set, so that combined with the matching miscuts makes it more $$ >>

Actually it isn't even the most expensive uncommon let alone expensive card in the set. Sol Ring goes for more as an uncommon and all the Dual Lands are now the money cards from Revised 3rd edition. Demonic tutor those it maybe the 12th or 13th most expensive card in the set at this point. image

MTG cards are my current moneymaker on eBay.

• << <i>

<< <i>Demonic tutor is the most expensive card in the set, so that combined with the matching miscuts makes it more $$ >>

Actually it isn't even the most expensive uncommon let alone expensive card in the set. Sol Ring goes for more as an uncommon and all the Dual Lands are now the money cards from Revised 3rd edition. Demonic tutor those it maybe the 12th or 13th most expensive card in the set at this point. image

MTG cards are my current moneymaker on eBay. >>

Ok when I played MTG 8 years ago it was image

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the 1 cent for image >>

Seller likes palindromes. They're symmetrical. .lacirtemmys er'yehT .semordnilap sekil relleS >>

oh image

<< <i>

<< <i>

MTG cards are my current moneymaker on eBay. >>

Ok when I played MTG 8 years ago it was image >>

Sean don't know if you remember the lands from that set that could produce two different colors of mana. Tundra, Underground Sea, Tropical Island, etc. Those lands now go for $40 to $100 all day long. Crazy how they have skyrocketed.
  • I'm the one that won the miscut demonic tutor auction, and it was actually a pretty good deal. I know several people that missed the auction who would have paid more ($550+). While the miscut/misprint collector community is quite small, there are enough people that want these cards, and drive the price through the roof. Most of these miscuts are "1 of 1". You pay for exclusivity.

Also, the alpha black lotus is not the most expensive card in the game. Most of the time beta lotus' go for more money (but still isn't the most expensive obtainable card in the game). The summer Edgar serendib efreet is, weighing in at $7500-8000. This does not include professionally graded black lotus', which normally sell for ridiculous amounts.

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While the miscut/misprint collector community is quite small, there are enough people that want these cards, and drive the price through the roof. Most of these miscuts are "1 of 1". You pay for exclusivity.
    >>

Are you worried at all about people making and selling miscuts using uncut sheets?

<< <i>

<< <i>While the miscut/misprint collector community is quite small, there are enough people that want these cards, and drive the price through the roof. Most of these miscuts are "1 of 1". You pay for exclusivity.
    >>

Are you worried at all about people making and selling miscuts using uncut sheets? >>

I am not worried about that at all. To my knowledge uncut sheets were never really released to the market and what few I have ever seen were worth way more as a sheet than what they would be worth cutting the cards out or miscutting them out.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is cool you found this thread and came and posted. I did the same exact thing when I won a Mike Tyson Rookie and was searching for more and came across a thread discussing our bidding war.

The fact that there is a genre of cards that command such high dollars and are collected around the globe to me is awesome.

Good luck with your quest to obtain rare cards from those sets.

• It would be very difficult for somebody to forge a miscut with an uncut sheet. Never mind the fact that very few collectors outside of wizards of the coast actually have one in their possession, but besides that, without access to their cutting plates, it would be very difficult to replicate the cut without it being an obvious forgery. Hand cut sheets always have squared off corners, not rounded like on a regular magic card. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be very difficult without access to industrial equipment, and people asking a lot of questions.

<< <i>It would be very difficult for somebody to forge a miscut with an uncut sheet. Never mind the fact that very few collectors outside of wizards of the coast actually have one in their possession, but besides that, without access to their cutting plates, it would be very difficult to replicate the cut without it being an obvious forgery. Hand cut sheets always have squared off corners, not rounded like on a regular magic card. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be very difficult without access to industrial equipment, and people asking a lot of questions. >>

Actually not too hard at all when it comes to pulling off the corner cuts after some practice. Back in the day when I was on the Pro Tour I met some shady bastaards who were into making really good fakes of Power 9 and other money cards and they could trim corners to make them look like Alpha cuts or regular cuts without any issues.

As you mention though uncut sheets just really are not out there in circulation like with other cards. WOTC and Carti Mundi (Spelling off been years since I thought of the name) and now Hasbro just do not allow sheets to leave uncut.

I used to have a really really sweet collection of miscuts and misprints that I sold back around 99 for about $500. Probably could bring in 5 figures for them now. image

• << <i>

<< <i>It would be very difficult for somebody to forge a miscut with an uncut sheet. Never mind the fact that very few collectors outside of wizards of the coast actually have one in their possession, but besides that, without access to their cutting plates, it would be very difficult to replicate the cut without it being an obvious forgery. Hand cut sheets always have squared off corners, not rounded like on a regular magic card. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be very difficult without access to industrial equipment, and people asking a lot of questions. >>

Actually not too hard at all when it comes to pulling off the corner cuts after some practice. Back in the day when I was on the Pro Tour I met some shady bastaards who were into making really good fakes of Power 9 and other money cards and they could trim corners to make them look like Alpha cuts or regular cuts without any issues.

As you mention though uncut sheets just really are not out there in circulation like with other cards. WOTC and Carti Mundi (Spelling off been years since I thought of the name) and now Hasbro just do not allow sheets to leave uncut.

I used to have a really really sweet collection of miscuts and misprints that I sold back around 99 for about $500. Probably could bring in 5 figures for them now. image >>

I've seen some pretty decent fakes as well (collectors edition rebacks are the only reason I can think of to have to trim a corner though, or fake an alpha cut 4th edition card) but there are telltale signs that a card has been trimmed, instead of cut by a plate, even if you have to use a loupe to tell.

Also, I know most are sports collectors in this section, but for anybody that's interested, here's a sol ring and a couple dual lands that were mentioned earlier:::

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/98ViperGTS/368403a1.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/98ViperGTS/b66bcd89.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/98ViperGTS/599cf2b8.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/98ViperGTS/377baeff.jpg
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Here are the images without having to copy and paste.

Viper what is the story behind those custom Force of Wills with the Guru Magic style backgrounds?

• << <i>Viper what is the story behind those custom Force of Wills with the Guru Magic style backgrounds? >>

No real story behind them. They were signed by the artist (Terese Nielsen), however they were altered by a lady in France (Sandreline). Which is kind of odd I guess when you think about it, as the guru land art is also done by Terese.