Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

CNG coins.....your thoughts ?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking through their selection, some very nice looking stuff.
Has anybody here bought from them ? What did you think ?

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havent bought from them but several e-friends have and they're a highly respected company. In fact, sometimes if the coin you may have to sell is from CNG & you put in your selling description "ex CNG/CNG Auctions", it will be more attractive to buyers.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks !
    I'm still dabbling in darkside , mainly British.
    So far I'm a classic buy the coin before the book guy, so finding a trusted dealer is a must.

Aside from the auctions, do their prices seem fairly reasonable ?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are very good people to deal with

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CNG is top notch! Highly recommend their coins. They use a UK grading scale and I have had quite a few instances where coins listed as gVF would get slabbed as XF40-45 and their EF would come back as AU (especially if they are listed as choice EF on the site).

My latest purchase from their auction that I'm still waiting to receive is below. I'll post my own images when it arrives.

<< <i>MEXICO, First Republic. 1823-1863. AR 8 Reales (37mm, 26.34 g, 12h). Durango mint. Dated 1824-RL. Cap inscribed libertad and surrounded by rays / Eagle standing left on cactus, holding serpent in beak, with wings spread; all within wreath. KM 376. Good VF, some roughness. Rare.

From the WBP Collection. >>

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been buying from them for a couple of decades, back into my teenage years as a matter of fact. No problems so far, and they usually have a great selection of coins, great signature auctions and great electronic auctions.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    Thanks for the replies,
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the coin I was after, 1707 Anne crown near VF.
    I suppose it'll remain listed on the site for awhile yet, if anyone would care to comment/critique....

I'm gradually putting together the GB crowns in nice circ condition such as this one , it's a perfect match actually!

<< <i>Thanks for the replies,
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the coin I was after, 1707 Anne crown near VF.
    I suppose it'll remain listed on the site for awhile yet, if anyone would care to comment/critique....

I'm gradually putting together the GB crowns in nice circ condition such as this one , it's a perfect match actually! >>

Nice coin, from Scottyland of course. The mint in Edinburgh was supposed to stay open under the terms of the "Act of Union" but while it had a paid staff until 1816 - no coins were minted after 1709. I have one of the Crowns, very similar to yours in fact, that I paid a lot less for because I didn't/wouldn't pay the slab price and I noticed it was a bit of a floor queen for a local dealer.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to echo the past posts - CNG consistently has nice eye candy to admire and grading and photography seem very consistent.

Very nice piece that you picked up...... I hope you dont mind if I share the pic.

<< <i>I have to echo the past posts - CNG consistently has nice eye candy to admire and grading and photography seem very consistent.

Very nice piece that you picked up...... I hope you dont mind if I share the pic.

image >>

Unfortunately, yours is a bit nicer than mine - and since I have a larger collection of Scottish than thee, you should duly send to me :-} That said, you bought yours at the CNG grade - which is an accurate reflection of how I feel the coin is graded. Mine came in some oversexed NGC holder that was about 10pts ta high. CNG does grade conservatively, they may seem a bit nigh on the price at times - but you will always be pleased with the merchandise.

Hmm, coincidentally I picked up my big box from them with my goodies in it just earlier this evening.
    Very nice....glad to see her posted !
    I'm in dire need of some literature, any such thing as a "Red book" for British coins ?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes- The Spink Calatog of Coins of England

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Thanks Coinkat,
    I had a post here awhile back, hoping to find a dated copy. I suppose it's time to pony up and buy a new one.
    Any suggestions as to where to look for one ?
  • I've got an older copy of the Spink book if you're interested.....it's the '06 (41st edition).