Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greysheet bid is $111 for common date MS64 Morgans MS63 at $68 *Prices about to drop like a ROCK*

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
These are being run up every week.

SELL SELL SELL. MS64 and below grades are about to drop like a rock along with silver prices.

May 6 2011 Greysheet bid prices:

Common date Morgan 1$:

MS66....$400

MS65....$215

MS64....$106

MS63....$68

Common date Peace 1$:

MS66...$580

MS65...$195

MS64...$95

MS63...$68

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe they won't level out? Maybe instead the bottom drops out.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True. The bottom could drop out. The way the prices have gone up that could very well happen.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    At this very moment I have no problem paying that for white coins.

Of course if prices shoot up this fast they can suddenly decline just as fast. That is a very strong possibility.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    You know the Morgan market better than most Wei.

With $83 for MS64 Morgans even the strong hands will be selling everything they have I would think.

The common date MS65 Morgans at $163 they are not keeping pace with the MS63 MS64 price increases. This makes me think the MS63/64 price increases are due to the high greysheet prices for VG common date morgans at $31+.
  • You talk about a rising tide lifting all boats........................

At this moment, melt is $29 for Morgan and peace dollars.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Someone kick me now - I passed on about large lot of these last fall for $31 each. I mean like 100 or so of them. All PCGS MS64.
    That sucks Tydye.
    I stopped buying the MS64 Morgans at $61 and thought I was paying too much then.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad you can't even give them away.

<< <i>Too bad you can't even give them away. >>

Board member WTCG just posted above he would pay full bid price for white coins Bajjerfan. The Morgans you had posted on the PCGS BSt were way over GS bid price.

<< <i>

<< <i>Too bad you can't even give them away. >>

Board member WTCG just posted above he would pay full bid price for white coins Bajjerfan. The Morgans you had posted on the PCGS BSt were way over GS bid price. >>

You have to look at the list. I'm not going to sell a 79 or 81-o or 21 in 65 for $80. Actually if you do the math at $1065 delivered, that is UNDER GSB [1090] from 3/11/10.
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I didn't realize they had gone up so high so fast. I've got a small cache (ten of each I think) of common date MS63 Morgans/Peace I socked away awhile ago. I'll have to dust them off and take a look at what I've got!
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $40 bucks was my limit on these MS64's... And the last one I bought was in a pcgs ogh.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as silver stays up here in the high $30's so should those MS63 and MS64 Morgans. If silver goes to $50 what will those be at?

No doubt a lot of speculation going on here. One source told me that a lot of these are being purchased overseas because the dollar is
    so weak against other currencies. They see our 125 yr old choice BU coins of the realm priced at $90 in MS64 and they think they are cheap
    compared to what something comparable in their coinage might be. How many countries had the luxury of pounding out hundreds of millions of silver dollars from
    cheap silver in the late 1800's to early 1900's? While our supply of choice BU Morgans is large, it's not inexhaustable compared to all the silver billion
    in the world and still in the ground. A lot of dusty BU bags are being sent in for grading now because for the first time in 20 yrs it's very profitable to slab 63's and 64's.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>$40 bucks was my limit on these MS64's... And the last one I bought was in a pcgs ogh. >>

I bought most of my widget Morgans years ago. I remember flinching when MS64s went to $46 GS ask. I bought a few at that price and it dropped back before this most recent climb. The most expensive common one I bought was $75 for a rimmed toned 1897 in a small white ANACS 64 holder when GS was about $50 and retail about $63. I wonder if I can get out even from that burial now?

My theory is that some of the big telemarketer firms are pumping these coins. If my theory is correct, some of their "select" clients might be paying 2x to 3x sheet for their prizes.

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Well I should have purchased a boat load of theses. I've been out of the loop on Silver Dollars they've really done well considering collectors never thought they'd ever be worth very much. The $34 for common culled Peace Dollars thread woke me up, I wouldn't pay melt for those unless they keys or semi-keys
    I have been slowly buying WHITE PCGS/NGC MS63/64 common date Morgan and Walking liberty halfs since they were bid around $34 in MS64. Lately I stepped up my pace trading modern commemoratives and cash for MS63/64 Morgans and Peace dollars. Looked like a bad deal for me but it has paid off so far anyway.

Here is the other type of coins I have been hoarding since bid was $10 stopped buying at $16:

• raysrays Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When plastic slabs started GSB was over $500 for common date MS65 Morgans.

<< <i>When plastic slabs started GSB was over $500 for common date MS65 Morgans. >>

And a decent portion of those early 65's would probably grade 66 or possibly even 67 today.

roadrunner
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy any morgans or peace due to fear of chinese fakes, both raw and slabbed image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
    I know the reasons why common date dollars are going for as much as they are, and so far at Balitmore they have been selling well. Just today I bought and sold over four double-row boxes of Morgan and Peace dollars ranging from MS63 to MS67. On Tuesday I sold two double-row boxes of them.

As fast as their values have been increasing, those coins have the potential to fall back to half their current values in a blink of an eye. None of those grades are scarce, and my opinion is that the current prices are basically all the money they're worth. The dealers now who have those coins and are holding out for an extra few dollars while not wanting to sell now may be the ones who are ultimately left holding the proverbial bag at the end of the run.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    86 now
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont hold them too long, a hard drop could be right around the corner
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    It is a big world out there. We only need to convince them to collect Morgans instead of 5oz quarters.
    If world-wide inflationary forces on commodities disappears in the coming days/weeks, and the price of silver falls into the $20's, then those Morgans can drop by half as well.

roadrunner
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>Well I should have purchased a boat load of theses. I've been out of the loop on Silver Dollars they've really done well considering collectors never thought they'd ever be worth very much. The $34 for common culled Peace Dollars thread woke me up, I wouldn't pay melt for those unless they keys or semi-keys >>

I went looking for evidence to support my theory about the radio ad guys. One of the big national advertisers lists average circ Peace dollars for $54, Walkers for $21, on their website (no I ain't gonna link it because with three guesses most radio listeners will find it if they want, and they don't need anymore traffic at those prices). Wowsers. They say to call for pricing on Morgans. Anyone want to play taps for the financial burial?

With the recent run up in prices, I can see these as a relatively easy sell for a smooth talking pitchman (or woman) over the phone talking to the typical know-nothing investor that buys from the big firms.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...you guys are gonna make me go to the SDB and grab some of the common ones (gee, that is most of my morgan collection image ) out and contemplate selling them (well, the untoned, non-special, ones)
    I do like the fact that, due to silver, etc, some of the ones I "overpaid" for a few years back are now worth something (I have some raw UNC that I bought for $24+....woohoo image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I do not know of this is true, but from what I have heard these are especially being bought for a single source.

I have heard a rumour that this particular person (I do not know who or what) is ready for buying up to a million pieces.

If this is true prices might not be going down for awhile.

Dennis

<< <i>I do not know of this is true, but from what I have hold these are especially being bought for a single source.

I have heard a rumour that this particular person (I do not know who or what) is ready for buying up to a million pieces.

If this is true prices might not be going down for awhile.

Dennis >>

After he gets mine, he'll only need 999,992 more.image
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Maybe this is the Greysheet authors way of ensuring that all the MS63/MS64 aren't sold for melt... a self-policing of collectors so they don't destroy all the mid-grade (and lower) common silver dollars.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>86 now >>

image They keep on moving up.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe this is the Greysheet authors way of ensuring that all the MS63/MS64 aren't sold for melt... a self-policing of collectors so they don't destroy all the mid-grade (and lower) common silver dollars. >>

I think the greysheet has been lagging in this pricing. There are definitely many dealers bids out there at this level, not much to do with greysheet.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    PCGS price guide has MS65 Morgans at $225 now. This is the highest since I started collecting 6 years ago. If silver goes to $50, these could hit $300

I see that some are calling for the bottom to drop out. I am taking the other side of the trade here. These could really start to run higher if silver continues higher.
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS price guide has MS65 Morgans at $225 now. This is the highest since I started collecting 6 years ago. If silver goes to $50, these could hit $300

I see that some are calling for the bottom to drop out. I am taking the other side of the trade here. These could really start to run higher if silver continues higher. >>

For 65s, I don't see a $13 run in silver adding $75 to their value, but prices have been increasing at a very fast pace (just in a week, 65s have gone up 15% or more).

Also, I think as someone pointed out, there are very different qualities of Morgan dollars, white, attractive, etc., that should still sell for premiums compared to dark or unattractive dollars.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
    The main factor that is keeping prices in check is the availability of these coins in large quantities. As we all know, slabbed common date dollars can be found at virtually any given coin show of any size and large quantities can be had at a price at a moments notice. Even in MS66 they aren't remotely scarce.

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The main factor that is keeping prices in check is the availability of these coins in large quantities. As we all know, slabbed common date dollars can be found at virtually any given coin show of any size and large quantities can be had at a price at a moments notice. Even in MS66 they aren't remotely scarce. >>

And 66s only just started to move, right Wei? And 67s not so much yet?

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

<< <i>

<< <i>The main factor that is keeping prices in check is the availability of these coins in large quantities. As we all know, slabbed common date dollars can be found at virtually any given coin show of any size and large quantities can be had at a price at a moments notice. Even in MS66 they aren't remotely scarce. >>

And 66s only just started to move, right Wei? And 67s not so much yet?

- Ian >>

MS66's are starting to move and I have at least three large buyers hounding me for those. 66's had been dormant for a long time.

MS67's took a nosedive both in demand and value a few years ago and had been nearly unsalable until recently. They've increased in demand and value lately but not as quickly as the lower grades.

On a side note, I just landed in Taipei after flying on various aircraft for all but about five hours since 9:00am EDT 4/2 so please excuse any grammatical errors for the time being.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets see what the bids are tomorrow.
    may the fonz be with you...always...

<< <i>lets see what the bids are tomorrow. >>

I will bet the bid prices will be up,up and way.

You are quite the jet setter Wei. Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

<< <i>For 65s, I don't see a $13 run in silver adding $75 to their value, but prices have been increasing at a very fast pace (just in a week, 65s have gone up 15% or more). >>

Good point Ian.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    think about what is really happening-

Common date 63 and 64 Morgans are climbing while EF and AU dates such as the 1896-s, 1901-s and other semi key dates are off from where they were a year ago- this is not collector driven

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>Common date 63 and 64 Morgans are climbing while EF and AU dates such as the 1896-s, 1901-s and other semi key dates are off from where they were a year ago- this is not collector driven >>

Comparing BU Morgans to XF AU Morgans is comparing apples to oranges, even if the circulated Morgans are much better date coins.
    No doubt there are 1-2 million of slabbed 63 and 64 dollars in existance. The difficult part is that they are widely scattered. You want 100,000 in one shot? Good luck with that.

The average collector probably owns a couple. Maybe a dozen. They might or might not be tempted to sell out at these current levels. The hard part is buying a couple of pieces
    from each collector to deliver them to whomever is the end buyer. That takes time. In the scheme of things $100-$150 MILLION in slabbed 63/64 Morgan dollars is not a huge
    amount of money in the world today.

The prices will finally level out (or collapse) when silver is finally done with it's currently 9 year old bull market.

roadrunner
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 65 and 66?
    What is the sheet price on those?
    LCoopie = Les
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    How much could I expect to get for a common date MS64 based on $86 bid at a coin show? I might go to the SDB so I can take some to the Santa Clara Coin Show.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point is there is likely a surviving population of 300,000-400,000 1880-s Morgans that survived in MS63 to 64- PROBABLY MORE. Contrast that to the surviving population of an 1896-s than grades 40-45. That population is likely 3000-50000 if that. The bid/ask for the 1896-s has declined over the past 2 years in 40-45 and the the price for the 1880-s in 63 and 64 has increased- close to 70%.

Its not about rarity or collectors... it is something else. Lets watch and see what happens

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the price this week?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
    I see that Heritage was offering 64's for $96 yesterday. That's $5 higher than 1-1/2 weeks ago.

roadrunner
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Crap!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    teletrade direct has quantities of 10 or more at:

63 $73
    64 $107
    65 $235
    Common date dollar prices keep rising. Nice to see after such a long lull in prices for so many years.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing I have some toners on the sale box I should wholesale off.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file