Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stack's-Bowers Website

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
wow, the new website for Stack's-Bowers is so slow that my patience wears thin just trying to load the online-only session, let alone trying to click through to specific coins. Tried it using Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome...slow on all counts. My internet connection is a speedy one, yet I felt like I was on dial-up trying to view auction lots. I'd hope the IT folks at the company are aware that their site really is lacking insofar as speed is concerned and will work on improving it.

Comments

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I agree and will add not having live internet bidding on the Baltimore auctions REALLY left a ton of $$ on the table. JMO peace, Tim
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Hmmmmm? I am using Internet Explorer and it doesn't seem all that much slower than Heritage!
    Pages and images have been loading in a reasonable amount of time - not lightning quick, but
    not tortoise slow either!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacks-Bower's website works best if you use AOL 1.0............very compatible. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    approximate times to load with HA.com comparison:

load home page: SB = ten seconds; HA = three seconds

load a category of coins or a specific auction: SB = 19 seconds; HA = four seconds

load a specific coin: one second each

The 19 seconds to load a category after ten seconds to load the home page is a killer. Quick browsing isn't possible.

I do hope they fix it, I usually bid in their auctions
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>approximate times to load with HA.com comparison:

load home page: SB = ten seconds; HA = three seconds

load a category of coins or a specific auction: SB = 19 seconds; HA = four seconds

load a specific coin: one second each

The 19 seconds to load a category after ten seconds to load the home page is a killer. Quick browsing isn't possible.

I do hope they fix it, I usually bid in their auctions >>

Interesting. For me, Heritage runs a little slower than the times you listed, but are about the same (maybe a little quicker)
    for stacks-bowers! I agree though, s-b needs to speed things up a bit, but it could also be a lot of traffic on their website
    now from many people interested in their auctions

BTW - I already won the one coin I bid on, so I am Happy image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was working faster earlier in the week. Perhaps the increased demand for the auction has pushed their hamsters to the brink of exhaustion.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I find Stacks main pages to be very slow compared to HA both at home and the office. Of course I'm a lot closer to Dallas so the little electrons don't get as tired running from there. The live bidding seemed to work fine for me this morning, got all the lots I wanted and no problems with the bidding speed.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris Napoitano, the new President of the combined firm, should be doing something about that asap if they want to really compete against Heritage......currently the online experience for bidders is very cumbersome and no where near Heritage.

In addition, I just tried to bring up my tracked lots for this past sale in Baltimore, about 40 lots and its already gone, poof.....what a hassle to recreate and find prices realized one by one.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to participate in their Live Auction but when neither of my logins/passwords for the old B&M or Stacks websites worked, I said pass - I'll spend my money with Heritage. The S-B site is just not user-friendly - I certainly would not want to be one of their consignors.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Extremely slow.
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    I keep telling myself the only way left is up.
  • bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    SOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the slow crowd. Several coins they were behind the actual bids and closed before they even caught up. I was only on for the Chinese...so that is my observation from watching those lots.
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Site was slow enough to abandon bids on some lots.. some lots sold less than we were planning for our own max bids.
    Our coin club had identified coins and currency in the mid 5 figures to buy ...... too bad for the consignors
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Time is money, and when I saw how slow the site responded, I wrote off the auction. That undermined any joy I may have gotten out of looking, bidding, and winning. There are many other ways to have fun. That was very disappointing. I won't be back until they fix that.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I tried to search for some coins back in one of their 2009 auctions and the system kept producing zero results no matter what I typed in. I've done this same thing numerous times in previous months and it worked. Either they've disabled the search feature on older auctions or it's not working at all. Even when I clicked on the link to view auction lots for those older auctions it came up back to the default search screen again and again. ???????????

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I am sure they are aware of the issues, and I am sure that things will improve in the coming months.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slow site, slow shipping and soon they will go down the tubes. I tried to view the foreign banknotes auction yesterday, what with slow loading, freezing issues etc I gave up. I might have bid on one lot but my patience thinned and I lost interest.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Too slow for me also. Drives me crazy waiting for a page to load.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • DaveEDaveE Posts: 367
    Besides complaining here, tell the B+M/Stacks folks. I did with the problems I had. I doubt they will read whats posted here.
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Came up quickly this afternoon when I tried it. The search function for
    old auctions is not yet working though I suspect they are working on
    the problem.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Besides complaining here, tell the B+M/Stacks folks. I did with the problems I had. I doubt they will read whats posted here. >>

I let them know with the bids I didn't place.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Besides complaining here, tell the B+M/Stacks folks. I did with the problems I had. I doubt they will read whats posted here. >>

Invariably, the principals are made aware of such threads. They may not respond here, but no doubt they are aware of the experience with the website.

For the record, I did much better than expected with my consignment. Somehow, people were finding a way to bid. Perhaps my take would have been even greater had the hamsters been able to run the wheel faster and longer. image
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put a few prices realized together on Thursday night for my coin club meeting presentation Friday AM in Baltimore.

They took about two minutes apiece to come up from the website, it was like pulling teeth.

If they don't get this addressed by the ANA it will generate a lot of not good will.
  • Cut them some slack. They're a new start up company........Oh, wait, I forgot, they've been in business for 100+ years combined with all the merges. Seems like their experience disappears with every merge.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a scary website and the online bidding seems no guarantee.

I used a floor rep.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I compliment all those who stay away for this quickly failing company.

LOL, I do some of my banking with Wachovia/Wells Fargo. The are months late in making the two websites compatible.

I want to get my money OUT!

Anyone who didn't expect conversion/integration problems is quite naive about the complexity of modern day software. Napolitano knew from before day #1 of the merger that it would be a project with speed-bumps and even the occasion roadblock. This was an application of what is misleadingly called "common" sense.

Be an infant. Be a fool. Piss and moan and play your victim card. Please stay away from their auctions. More money in both directions for the grown-ups. image Hehehe

Had a problem? Here's some news. It was worse than you thought. Many people were affected and Chris Napolitano has decided that none of you matter at ALL. There will still be problems at their next auction and this is yet another sign that they both don't care and are incompetent. When I spoke with ChrisN in Baltimore his response was "Bite me". Is that any way to treat a friend? And he was paying for my sushi at the timeimage

I've posted earlier that the expectation always was that a stress test (or two) would give them a stable and much more useful system by ANA. The next Baltimore auction will have many fewer problems and perhaps a few new ones. B-tching here is, as the estimable DaveE (with whom I occasionally condescend to agree), doing nothing! An email to Stacks-Bowers may actually contribute produce some eventual effective results.

Next Baltimore auction will be much better. Yet more problems are dead-sure to emerge. I could tell you of my own problems with the site. I had them. I was frustrated myself. Having worked in computers (systems programmer in the 60's and 70's (IBM 370/195 was a leading-edge "big-box" that was hoped would rival Cray)) I had no expectation that an easy conversion would take place. I'll bet that 99+% of the problems with be gone by ANA. I want the old auction records integrated but the former Stacks system hadn't integrated them well (even with the Stacks-only platform) in the first place. I want my archive search. I want to find out what I bought and sold at before 7AM the next day. I want the kluges and glitches in the system identified and fixed because they affect a very useful resource I hope to and have already begun to use to my advantage.

Anything constructive to add? Why would you ever imagine a post here is more productive than an email to Stacks-Bowers.

I want my sarcasm emoticon and I want it NOWimage

It's my last line of defense in bearing the grief and pain of living in a less-than-perfect world. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    It's tough trying to make customers happy, and all the more so when mechanical/ electronic devices are part of the experience. Could be worse ya know... you could have had hip replacement surgery with a Du Puy ball and socket and now have to consult an ambulance chasing lawyer to sign you up for a class action lawsuit against the folks that enabled you to walk again. Life is tough. Yeah, their servers are slow. Not quite up to speed yet. But I'm sure they are aware of the problem and will be addressing it, especially if they have any intentions of becoming a true competitor against you-know-who.

Won two lots, was blown out of the water on two others by a combination of internet and floor bidders. I experienced no problems executing bids online in real time. FWIW, the site seems much faster today. The girls calling the auction in the beginning sessions were almost invisible behind the podium, you could just about see their eyes and the top of their head, but at least the online video and audio worked. Going by the prices realized I'd have to say it was a success, no?
  • scoobydeuxscoobydeux Posts: 498 ✭✭
    They definitely need to get the lead out.
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree and will add not having live internet bidding on the Baltimore auctions REALLY left a ton of $$ on the table. JMO peace, Tim >>

Same frustration and give up here. I keep trying to bid/buy in other auctions, but only Heritage seems to function at a level that results in me spending my money.
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file