Home U.S. Coin Forum

Info needed, first Philly mint...any help appreciated.

I am doing some research for a project I am working on and I could use some information. Since many of you are wells of knowledge regarding things numismatic, I am hoping you can help me.
I need any info you have about the first Philly mint. Pics would be great. Essentially I am trying to figure out what the Mint building looked like originally, when it was used to create the first US coins (The Bust period and earlier.)
-When each building was built
-Materials used (were they stone, brick? Especially the first structure. From the pics it appears they were built at different times using different materials.)
-When it was originally built, did the building have two doors, or three. I have a picture of an etching that suggests it only had two when it was built, but every other picture shows three doors (a bit awkwardly placed.) Was there two doors originally, then they put a third one in? All the pics I have are from late periods. The etching was done earlier.
-Does anyone have a foot-plan of the buildings?
-Type of roofing...shakes perhaps?
-When was the wording "Ye Olde Mint" and "1792" added to the facade?
-Was the exterior later plastered as it seems in the photograph? Or was it always that way?
-When was the roof redone to exclude the windows that were originally there.

Any other info is appreciated.

Done in the late 1800's (an artists rendering of the building at the time.) I think much of this was edited, because I believe there were other buildings surrounding the structure at the time.

Taken in 1908, clearly you can see that the roof has been altered.

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    search this forum to find plenty of leads, like this one

Plenty of books out there on the subject of the Mint too.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, has some great info.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint, by Joel Orosz and Len Augsburger, will answer all your questions --- and more.

You'll be able to buy the book in January 2011.

• I know Quartercollector thinks it would be cool to have a painting of it.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know Quartercollector thinks it would be cool to have a painting of it. >>

Yes he does.

Anyone else have some info? especially answers to the questions in the OP. I would prefer not to wait until January to learn some of this stuff.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Hey, Dentuck! Where's my quote on the ad?

Excellent book and the product of great research and analysis.

[The modern use of in depth original sources goes back to Newman & Bressett, and Taxay.... just an opinion]
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the same image as I have. Sorry I can't be more help. I own the book " History of the U.S. mint and it's coinage " And does not offer any more information.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

• << <i>I know Quartercollector thinks it would be cool to have a painting of it. >>

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I know Quartercollector thinks it would be cool to have a painting of it. >>

image >>

i myself like the idea of that coool
  • Most, if not all, of the questions in the OP will be answered in the Orosz & Augsburger book.

PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested in the early Mint itself or the coinage from the period, the forthcoming
    Whitman book by Len Augsburger and Joel Orosz is a necessity.

Denga

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file