Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sales tax on Mass. coin sales?

drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
I purchased a collectible /bullion coin on line from a Mass dealer and at check out was charged sales tax of ~ 6.5%.I live out of state and the coin was a little over $600.Since I'm out of state shouldn't I be exempt?If the sale is over $1000 it should also be exempt (from what i found on-line) does that mean the invoice total or each coin has to be over $1000? I called the dealer and they're sticking to the tax charge at this point Thanks for the help

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd cancel the order.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I think that you should not have been charged the sales tax on a sale made over the internet and shipped out of Massachusetts.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd cancel the order. >>

All glory is fleeting.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd cancel the order. >>

Agree. Return the coin for a full refund.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Julian.

The offical point of sale is your home address, not his/her storefront in Mass.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6.5% additional profit going into the dealer's pockets.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does he have a business branch in YOUR state?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank him for his reply then mention that you plan on asking the taxing authority for MA if his store should be charging tax.
    It is likely he isn't reporting it to them.....

And, I, like others, would cancel the order. If it's bullion, it is super easily replaceable.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    No in state branch and I originally tried to get two coins -which pushed the total over the $1000 cap for sales tax- but the order wouldn't go thru.So I ended up "successfully" placing two seperate orders.I'll try calling again and talking to an owner/manager.Thanks for the help
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys thanks for the help-called their bluff and the assistant is pretty sure he can credit me for the sales tax-I'll get a definite answer tomorrow from The "boss".That's a good idea to bring up calling the state tax agency-I'll use that one with the owner tomorrow if he won't do the right thing.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree, cancel the order. theres no reason for it you being out of state. some guy here in connecticut tried it a few years ago. word is he got turned in and then got into some sort of trouble. ( the state hates competion when you pocket thier money )
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    As the seller does not have a facility in your state
    he shouldn't charge for MA taxes.

My company has stores in FL, NC, WI, AZ, TX, NV, and Costa Rica.
    If we ship to any of these states [ or country ] - I have to charge
    their local sales tax.

Seeing as though you placed two orders for over 1K - they should
    combine both orders - and automatically refund the 6.5% tax.

If they don't - cancel your order.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I live in Mass. and when I purchased a 2006 $50 Buffalo the first year they came out for $683, the shop had me buy some other coins to get over $1000 so that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax. I don't know if the law has changed since then.
    Paul
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>6.5% additional profit going into the dealer's pockets.

roadrunner >>

Agree. You got to wonder how much of the sales tax collected by small B&M and flea market dealers goes to the state.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with everyone else. Tax should only be charged if they have an office in your state. Now, legally you should be paying a use tax within your state, but that's beside the point in this case.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>6.5% additional profit going into the dealer's pockets.

roadrunner >>

Agree. You got to wonder how much of the sales tax collected by small B&M and flea market dealers goes to the state. >>

I used to be a Massachusetts dealer, and one could ask that quesition. BUT if you are the unlucky dealer who gets audited and they find something, get ready for a world of hurt. The state guys will got the IRS, and before you know it, your life can turn into a living hell. I know of one small B&M store in Mass. that got into that bind, and that guy's life was the pits for several years.

And yes so far as I know the $1,000 total invoice rule is still in effect in Mass. If you spend over a grand on one invoice, it is exempt from sales tax.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6.5% additional profit going into the dealer's pockets.

Actually, the dealer is in very hot water if he does this. The vendor is acting as the agent of the Sales Tax Authorities in the collection and remission of such taxes. Even if the tax is erroneously charged, he is required by law to submit it.

The vendor is probably lazy and is charging sales tax on all sales under the specified amount under Mass. law to reduce his chances of a sales tax audit. Sales tax audits are by far the most time consuming of tax audits; if all sales under the $X amount are treated as taxable, he's much less likely to be looking at an audit down the road.

MFH - A vendor can be required to charge state sales tax even though he has no physical presence in a particular state if state sales tax authorities take the position that said vendor does a substantial amount of business in said particular state. A good example of this is Heritage. Before they acquired the old Superior Coin facilities in Beverly Hills, they were still required to charge CA sales tax on purchases below a certain amount, just like coin dealers domiciled in CA.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I live in Mass. and when I purchased a 2006 $50 Buffalo the first year they came out for $683, the shop had me buy some other coins to get over $1000 so that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax. I don't know if the law has changed since then. >>

Having to collect that pesky state sales taxes hurts a a business that depends upon a customer's discretionary income so I'm sure that they are more than happy to help you find a way around it. Also if you are going to spend the extra $$$, it might as well be for a coin.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Just curious was it a dealer in Worcester?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a coin forum, not a tax revolt forum. It's starting to look like the Boston Tea Party. Was Kool-Aid involved in any manner ?

HE>I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file