Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Population Report

How often does PCGS update their population report? How much of an effect do you think the population report has on current market value? If prices are already decreasing due to the recession, does an increase of 10% in the population report have an effect or is it moot at that point?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are constantly working on it, but I believe it depends more on the coin. I could be wrong, but that is how I understood it.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I don't see why PCGS could not update their POP reports automatically, when a submission grades are published. It would seem to be an easy program to make it all automatic.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's updated weekly. On Sunday night if I remember correctly.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with mozin-
    and yes for most coins with the pop going up the value will decrease. for sure you see it with moderns- how a new coin is the only pr70 dcam first strike its a moon money coin but give it a month when the pops shoot up and the value goes way down.

Many coin values have been negatively affected by resubmissions. If the populations show that there are only 3 1893-s morgans in 65 or above, that means only 3 people can own a 65 or above set which of course increases the demand. if the pops update to 30 then the demand wont be as strong.
    resubmitting without erasing the old can only mess with the true value.

Part of the benefit of the "SECURE" pcgs holder is that resubmits can easily be tagged by the scanning and the population reports will eventually be alot more accurate and true rarities will shine even more so (when its seen that a coin with a pop of 45 is really only a pop of 10 with 35 resubmits...)
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see why PCGS could not update their POP reports automatically, when a submission grades are published. It would seem to be an easy program to make it all automatic. >>

The PCGS Population report which is brought up when you go to the generic pop reports is updated every Sunday morning between 12 and 1 am.

However, if you use the Set Registry, those populations are updated almost immediately and can be viewed using the "What If" function for your specific set.

If you are not a Set Registry member, might I suggest you consider becoming one using my Registry Link?

It is a TOTALLY FREE service and gives you access to the current ACTIVE coin populations.

As for coin value vs population numbers? It's totally relative to the coin.

If the populations for a widely collected coin goes up AND that population increase is substantiated by more coins coming onto the market, then yes, the price could be affected.
    This is true for all except truely rare and ultra popular coins which, generally speaking, retain their values.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It was last updated in 1912.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was last updated in 1912. >>

But that coin was cracked out in 1913 and resubmitted for a up-grade, also the owner kept the original tag...the pops are once again askew.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the equation?

y +/- {x - y divided by 2}?

But I don't think it will work. Is there an advantage knowing the last coin sold was 50% higher or lower than the value listed?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>What's the equation?

y +/- {x - y divided by 2}?

But I don't think it will work. Is there an advantage knowing the last coin sold was 50% higher or lower than the value listed?

Leo >>

I really think you need to apply Avogadro's Number to the equation somewhere or the other.
    But, I don't know what in the world the number of molecules in a mole of anything has to do with this.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • standforstandfor Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Are you referring to a specific coin, or generally speaking?
    When I don't collect coins...
    I build high end houses
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Are you referring to a specific coin, or generally speaking? >>

I just noticed that some coins will have a population of 30 for months, then the population will increase to 44. The population updates seem like monthly/quarterly at times, not weekly. Didn't know if there was a specific time they updated the population; it appears it's every Sunday.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on WHERE that increase takes place. There are quite a few top pop coins whos values have gotten kicked in the tail when 2 more appeared. Im sure some members could tell us stories about such occurances.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll assume you're addressing me;

I'm referring to the listed values in the price guide, not the pop report, sorry. But I'll try to explain here anyway.
    I've hardly ever paid particularly close attention to PCGS's price guide. But when some 200 nickels went on sale at Heritage auctions, I became interested in seeing how they would effect the price guide. To make the story short, whatever price a coin sold for +/- of the listed value, when adjustments were made to that value due to that sale, that value would only increase or decrease 50% of the difference between the listed value and the price of the recently sold coin.
    So my question was, is there an advantage knowing that the last coin that sold was actually 50% higher or lower than the new listed coin value?
    In other words. if a coin is valued at 1000 one week but jumps to 1100 the next week, the coin that caused the increase actually sold for 1200. If the value had dropped to 900, a coin recently sold for 800 to cause that drop. So...to use the value as a guide to what's being paid for a coin in a grade, we should expect the coin is selling anywhere from 800 to 1200. IMO, being aware of this spread is the difference between buyers of high quality coins versus those buying or getting stuck with lower quality coins.
    Another interesting thing that I learned about the values listed is that they include the 15% buyers fee auction houses add to your winning bid as well.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I just noticed that some coins will have a population of 30 for months, then the population will increase to 44. The population updates seem like monthly/quarterly at times, not weekly. Didn't know if there was a specific time they updated the population; it appears it's every Sunday. >>

Read my post above.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file