Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 uncirculated coin set - just received in. Not Bad

I just received my 2009 Uncirculated coin P & D coin set. The uncirculated copper pennies, to me, look better than the copper proofs. I was a little surprised on that. This summer, I had to send my 2009 silver proof coin set back for an exchange due to the pennies looking like crap and the Kennedy half having a scratch on the face profile. All of the other uncirculated coins looked good as well.

Comments

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Cool,

I hope mine look that good.

Mine are expected to arrive on 15th, They are coming!

Did your set have any DDR's

Joe
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.......glad to hear that! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • <<<<<<<<<<<<<Did your set have any DDR's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upon first look, I don't believe I have any DDR's.

.........don't forget to check for DDO's also.

Description: DDO-001
    Light notches on upper Right of ERTY of LIBERTY with extra thickness on lower hair and beard.

Description: DDO-002
    Light notching and extra thickness on the date with extra thickness on lower hair, beard, and TRUST.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Hey guys. I forgot to include the message about the copper cents from the U.S. Mint that came with my shipment in today. Below is the message. Be advised.

• Interesting note with the sets. I guess if you're going to get them slabbed do it soon....
  • <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<........don't forget to check for DDO's also.

Description: DDO-001
    Light notches on upper Right of ERTY of LIBERTY with extra thickness on lower hair and beard.

Description: DDO-002
    Light notching and extra thickness on the date with extra thickness on lower hair, beard, and TRUST.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just checked. I don't think I have any. Oh well.

• MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    I happy with mine other that a slight packaging error.
    This one will be going back.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.

• << <i>I happy with mine other that a slight packaging error.
    This one will be going back.
    image >>

I must say I was overall satisfied with the quality of the sets. I do think the note about the Lincolns is very strange/interesting. Makes me wonder how these things are going to "tarnish" over time. Anyone find anything interesting? I know another member found some DDR's on the Formative Years Lincolns but I haven't heard much of anything else.
  • Dang. Jefferson looks like he's been diving and got squeezed.
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

We scanned a large number of 2009 sets and this is quite common to see. The coins are not staying in place like the 2007 / 2008 sets. I think the Mint cut back on the middle of the set sealing.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be returning mine.The Denver coins looked very good,but the Philly coins were very poor quality.They would've averaged MS-64 IMO.
    Trade $'s

• << <i>Dang. Jefferson looks like he's been diving and got squeezed. >>

I was just going to say the same thing (almost) image
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I would not send that back,sell it as a mint error. be interesting to see what you would get for it.
    figglehorn
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a DDR on the Formative Denver. I can't find any reference to this. Any ideas?
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I got my 3 too. I thought I had cancelled this subscription. OK set but what a total ripoff. I'll cancel it next week. In fact, I might just cancel all my sets accept the silver proofs.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

• << <i>I would not send that back,sell it as a mint error. be interesting to see what you would get for it. >>

Hmmmm....Great potential here similar to the DDR Lincolns

Have it attributed as a OOP-D (Out Of Place-Dime)

Maybe I'll get an OOP-C2 (Out Of Place Cent #2)

I guess you would have to send in the whole set to get the OOP coin slabbed image
  • Just got mine and they are pretty nice. However,

In the first box the Denver Formative Year Lincoln has an additional finger on the left hand. I think that is neat!

In the other box the Philadelphia Birth and Early Childhood in Kentucky Lincoln has about a 1/4 rotation to it
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I got mine too, they all look fine. I just wonder what happened to the mint envelopes, there is no way to store these well except to leave them in the shipping box.

<< <i>I have a DDR on the Formative Denver. I can't find any reference to this. Any ideas? >>

OMG 2009 D Satin Finish Formative DDR's !!!!

You can see a them here as well

Early Childhood - Formative Years Professional Life Variety Listings Matrix

........just wondering if any of these will show up in the cherrypickers' guide. image
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 of my 5 set have the 2009-D 1c FY CDDR-002. The 5 th doubling going on that is best described as a "thumb print".
    MAS3387 thanks for the web site for Die Variety News, that was very helpful.
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they did make a Jefferson nickel and he looks like the ghost of business strikes past.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys. I forgot to include the message about the copper cents from the U.S. Mint that came with my shipment in today. Below is the message. Be advised.

image >>

I still can't understand this. The Mint used this composition almost exclusively on Lincolns from 1909 to 1982 and now they don't know how to keep them from tarnishing??? I have plenty of bright red cents from that period as I'm sure many of you do as well. Is there something different about the process in 2009 vs. 1982 and before that causes this problem, or did the Mint just forget how to make real coins???

<< <i>MAS3387 thanks for the web site for Die Variety News, that was very helpful. >>

Your Welcome image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file