Home U.S. Coin Forum

WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN SOMEONE SAYS....

when someone says they "made" a coin from someone ??

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term "made" is a subtle way of gloating that the coin was RIPPED for a price well under the grade OPINION subsequently assigned by a TPGS.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    My take on "made" just means that someone purchased it raw and they "made" it because they were the first to have it slabbed.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My take on "made" just means that someone purchased it raw and they "made" it because they were the first to have it slabbed. >>

LCoopie = Les
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My take on "made" just means that someone purchased it raw and they "made" it because they were the first to have it slabbed. >>

Yes this is what I do buy rolls and try to make high grades but I guss you can crack out a holder and call it a Rip. But most call it a crack out but that is just me. image

Hoard the keys.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made means they got a raw coin into a slab. Dumb expression since they didn't actually make the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's usually the context I've seen it in.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The term "made" is a subtle way of gloating that the coin was RIPPED for a price well under the grade OPINION subsequently assigned by a TPGS. >>

Not quite, the other answers are correct. --Jerry
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    you were the first to slab it......you made the coin.

stupid terminology, but nevertheless.....common in the industry
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you were the first to slab it......you made the coin.

stupid terminology, but nevertheless.....common in the industry >>

Actually, I believe that it means that you got the grade that you expected. You bought it raw as a 64 and PCGS gave it a 64. If they had given it a 62 then you wouldn't have made the coin IMO.
  • thanks for the responses, ive seen the term used and it didnt make any sense at all until now.
  • A raw coin, bought then sent in for grading. I dont think its only for the coins bought as a specific grade, then slabbed at that grade.
    It could mean that he is a counterfeiter.image

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>you were the first to slab it......you made the coin.

stupid terminology, but nevertheless.....common in the industry >>

Actually, I believe that it means that you got the grade that you expected. You bought it raw as a 64 and PCGS gave it a 64. If they had given it a 62 then you wouldn't have made the coin IMO. >>

Actually Tom, then you would have made a 62. It is most often used to discuss top grade coins such as:

"I see there is now a 68 in the pop report, I wonder who made it?"

"I only got 2 66s back out of a submission of 300 sets but xxx told me he made 4 with half the coins, lucky ba$tard."

"I've been submitting for 19 years and I've only made one top pop coin."

--Jerry

<< <i>A raw coin, bought then sent in for grading. I dont think its only for the coins bought as a specific grade, then slabbed at that grade. >>

It doesn't take any great shakes to send a coin in for grading; hell anyone can go to a bank and get a roll of kerters, send em in and say they made the coins. Going to a show, picking out 20 nice raw Morgans and submitting them and getting no bodybaggers and all 65s now that to me is makin the coins. Everytime I have seen the term used it was always in the context of I got the grade I thought I'd get so thats what I define it as. Whether that is right or wrong doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

• << <i>

<< <i>The term "made" is a subtle way of gloating that the coin was RIPPED for a price well under the grade OPINION subsequently assigned by a TPGS. >>

Not quite, the other answers are correct. --Jerry >>

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I used homemade in my set descriptions, maybe I should change them to made.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

..........GEEZALOO!! everyone knows the reference is to a mint employee!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
    I suppose the fact that some can send in 2 coins without getting a BB is a great accomplishment.

Same thing with CAC I suppose. You take the first 20 Morgans in your set, send em in and get one green bean. Great cuz you made a CACd coin. Doesn't say much about the other 19 or even the rest of your set does it? Now if you carefully pick the 20 nicest coins and get 19 beaned then you can truly be said to have made 19 CACd coins the way I see it.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goodness, the proverbial tempest in a teapot - par for this forum though. Cheers, RickO
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I think "made" is a shortened version of "homemade" and all the other references to a raw coin being sent in for grading are correct in my belief.

Secondly, I think it also shows the grading ability of the person who "made" the coin since they obviously realized the potential of the coin in question.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen "I do not buy slabs, I make them!!!" stated here by many as far back as 2004. You figure it out.

<< <i>I have seen "I do not buy slabs, I make them!!!" stated here by many as far back as 2004. You figure it out. >>

I think they are primarily talking about modern coins.

• Gives credit to, or claims credit by, the person who recognized value in a raw coin and was the first person to be successful in getting it certified. Usually used for higher value coins. Made = discovered and slabbed.

Could the term be used for a certified undergraded coin that upgrades?
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I made a cheese sandwich a few times.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Sorry, finger stutter.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear an echo...echo...echo

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file