Home U.S. Coin Forum

"UNOFFICIAL" Lincoln Formative DDR finds thread.

08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
It seems that a number of folks have found some of the 2 DDR's
Maybe around 15 % of the coins searched have been one of the two DDR's

How many cents have you looked at and how many did you find.

I searched 1 roll and found

(6) DDR-001 "The Double Thumb Double Die"

(5) DDR-002 "Six Fingered Abe"

date 4/30 9774

Joe

Comments

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLEASE POST PICTURES of your coins so everyone is calling the coins correctly.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Jesse,

I only have a scanner and it does terrible pics.
    Here is the reference from sanitarium1inmate thread where Billy G. Crawford gave his analysis:

(1) 2009 1c Formative Years DDR?: New listing in my "C" files now officially assigned as 2009 1c FY CDDR-001. Exhibits doubling of the index finger and middle finger just under the thumb. This reverse also exhibits a type of die dent or die gouge with a raised line extending through the book pages.

(2) 2009 1c Formative Years DDR?: New listing in my "C" files now officially assigned as 2009 1c FY CDDR-002. Exhibits prominent doubling of the index finger located within the field between the primary thumb and primary index finger.

Joe

DDR-001 Double Thumb

DDR-002 six finger

• clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I found this one to mix it up. A double boot.
  • I just went halfway through my P-roll from the mint.... buncha ugly coins.... and I got to what has to be THE ugliest (looks like it's been in circulation at a leper colony or something it has Sooooooo much splotchy crap all over it) - and of COURSE, it's the first coin with an anomaly!!

I don't know if it's a DDR, but if so it looks to be an extension of DDR-002, as it appears to be along the same line.... but it actually connects to the spine of the book!?

The second pic is a 200x close-up of the thumb & below area... the first pic also seems to show possible minor doubling(?) at the edges of the four finger along the spine?

imageimageimage
  • The pics I posted (above) are the same/similar to the 2009P-1DR-003 shown & described on
    Coppercoins.com website, but in the description it states "A light to moderate spread shows as an 'extra finger' on the book." where to me, it looks like the top edge of the thumb (not finger) has doubled downward... any opinions on that?
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 5 different and possibly a 6th
    One is a very minor double thumb
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I opened one box and got zero!!!
    What was the date on your box? Were you looking at the P Mint rolls?

• << <i>I opened one box and got zero!!! >>

So did a buddy of mine, his box was 05/01/09
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • I have read that the dates on the boxes fall between 4/17/09 and 4/30/09 for these coins, can someone confirm ? If that's the case opening a box dated outside this window might not yield any.
    Just to throw out some more numbers. I have opened the following boxes and got the following coins

Date Time Production #
    4/17/09 14:07 0883 --- 5 DDR-001
    4/24/09 09:58 9774 --- nothing at all
    4/30/09 07:40 9774 --- 6 DDR-001, 4 DDR-002

• << <i>Just to throw out some more numbers. I have opened the following boxes and got the following coins

Date Time Production #
    4/17/09 14:07 0883 --- 5 DDR-001
    4/24/09 09:58 9774 --- nothing at all
    4/30/09 07:40 9774 --- 6 DDR-001, 4 DDR-002 >>

Thanks jessewvu
    I was a Monkey
  • Ummmm.... my box was 05-04-09: 2 DDR's & 1 planchet flaw (single P-mint roll)
    it sounds like only boxes dated 27/28/29/30 have the DDR-002 "6 finger" I thought for sure I'd find at least one oddity in the 4/24 box but I looked at every coin under my Dinolite and didn't find anything different from the intended design.

• << <i>it sounds like only boxes dated 27/28/29/30 have the DDR-002 "6 finger" I thought for sure I'd find at least one oddity in the 4/24 box but I looked at every coin under my Dinolite and didn't find anything different from the intended design. >>

I've got 1 box coming that is dated 4/22 and 4 boxes coming dated 4/28. So I will find out about the 4/22 box for us. As far as the 4/28 boxes I might just open one and see and if it is golden then the others will be held onto sealed for a while.
    I was a Monkey
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bad and forgot to keep track of dates on the boxes
    however I do know boxes date 05/?? do contain DDR-001

<< <i>What was the date on your box? Were you looking at the P Mint rolls? >>

5/23 yes I was
    I recieved 2 lots of 5 boxes today.
    4/20 and 4/14 dates
    I will open later and give results.

I have a lot of 5 from 4/30 and 4/24 coming.

Joe

I have 10 boxes now and another 10 coming. I am not going to open any more until I see which way the wind is blowing.
    That's not the spirit! Open those suckers up and get excited!

At 69 years old, I am too old to get excited.
    I just opened the 4/20 box and nada, nothing.

Here goes the 4/14 box.

Joe
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    opened a box dated 04-29...10:30....no soup for me image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Just finished the 4/14 box and nothing.

Joe

• << <i>opened a box dated 04-29...10:30....no soup for me image >>

Looks like they are no guarantees on dates cause mine were 4/29 also but mine had errors.
    I was a Monkey
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    I have opened up 9 boxes so far and have 13 left to go but so far here is my breakdown of P rolls:

4/22 11:19 - 0 DDR-001, 0 DDR-002, 9 with a die crack from the log to the rim
    4/23 13:24 - 0 DDR-001, 0 DDR-002
    4/30 7:08 - 10 DDR-001, 7 DDR-002
    4/30 7:51 - 0 DDR-001, 0 DDR-002
    4/30 7:07 - 13 DDR-001, 4 DDR-002, 5 of what I call Fu Manchu (die break going from Abe's chin to his chest), 6 where it looks like there is some die wear on the observe C in Cents
    4/30 7:07 - 7 DDR-001, 14 DDR-002, 4 where it looks like there is some die wear on the observe C in Cents
    4/30 7:51 - 11 DDR-001, 7 DDR-002, 8 of what I call Fu Manchu (die break going from Abe's chin to his chest), 7 where it looks like there is some die wear on the observe C in Cents
    5/1 9:42 - 0 DDR-001, 0 DDR-002, 2 with a die crack from the ax blade to the rim
    5/1 9:43 - Zero

Looks like for me the 4/30 rolls have them and I have 4 boxes left!

I have 5 4/30 boxes.

<< <i>I have 5 4/30 boxes. >>

OPEN ONE OF THOSE SUCKERS UP!! For Pitboss's sake!

Anyone know what rolls have the trailing tails? A friend said he has a roll of D mint coins with a date of 4/14 on the box.
  • Now that it has been attributed and photographed I can share with everyone. So far to my knowledge there has only been 12 specimens found with this doubling. It is attributed and cataloged as 2009 1C FY CDDR 004 by Billy G. Crawford also photos by Billy G. Crawford used with permission.

Lestrrr

P.S.- These came out of a box dated 04/30/09, 10:06, 9774
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 778 ✭✭✭
    I found 9 of your DDR 004's in one box. I knew they were special but they really didn't stand out, IMHO. Have a great time searching !! Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    I have found 19 of the CDDR-004 all in the 4/30 boxes. I saved them since I thought they were something, but not as dramatic as the DDR 1 and 2s.

It looks like the forum members are going to clean up on this one if it proves out to be a winner. We are still buying them for next to nothing. I have bought 9 more boxes today with key dates for only $13 a box average. WOW!!!

<< <i>I found 9 of your DDR 004's in one box. I knew they were special but they really didn't stand out, IMHO. Have a great time searching !! Mark. >>

Same here, I found 7 obviously different so I saved them also.

Joe
  • I see you guys have been holding out on me. Even though it's not as bold as the others (darn it) I was hoping that it was scarcer.

Nice finds everyone,
    Lestrrr
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    so i'm all like bummed as i bought 2 boxes off ebay and the 1st box produced zero...i was thinking of just holding it for early dated box premium which is sure to follow....then

why not i opened the 2nd box...shazam...teddys not bummed no mores

10 of the ddr-2
    8 of the ddr-1

yayy...soup for me

boxes dated 4-29

edited to add...ah crap one of my ddr-1 is bent with a nasty rim bump...no soup for it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• << <i>so i'm all like bummed as i bought 2 boxes off ebay and the 1st box produced zero...i was thinking of just holding it for early dated box premium which is sure to follow....then

why not i opened the 2nd box...shazam...teddys not bummed no mores

10 of the ddr-2
    8 of the ddr-1

yayy...soup for me

boxes dated 4-29 >>

image nice
    I was a Monkey
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭
    Wondered why a forum member bought these off me fri.,at 2X issue price,on ebay....image Summer don't pay as much attention to boards...Good a forum member got them and hope there is something worthwhile..$$$$...in them.

• << <i>Anyone know what rolls have the trailing tails? A friend said he has a roll of D mint coins with a date of 4/14 on the box. >>

What exactly is the Trailing Tails.....?????

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone know what rolls have the trailing tails? A friend said he has a roll of D mint coins with a date of 4/14 on the box. >>

What exactly is the Trailing Tails.....????? >>

Beats me, it looks like this (taken from eBay)
  • Trails & Wavy steps are die varieties produced by movement of the die during the hubbing process. As the die moves, the relief designs on the hub basically gouge the die metal until both are in correct position. This is why majority of trails are found on the corners of the design elements. What's interesting is when you get multi-directional trails. Everything about trails can be found at: traildies.com

This is BJ Neffs site. He has done some serious research on these anomalies.

Here's one I just bought last night, I like how their trailing off Lincolns eyebrow, nose, etc...

Lestrrr
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I found one DDR-001 in a box 5/5/09

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool info. I haven't opened my roll, yet, but my 4/27/09 dated "P" has a DDO-001 on the end. Do you think I am better off leaving the roll closed, or should I open it?

Have these been found in both P & D?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    wonder if the CW article that some have been talking about will appear this week or next?
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I just popped open a few rolls of the 2009 P Mint Formative Lincoln's. Besides finding all the DDR coins I've seen pictured here already I found a small handful of these coins pictured.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

• MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just popped open a few rolls of the 2009 P Mint Formative Lincoln's. Besides finding all the DDR coins I've seen pictured here already I found a small handful of these coins pictured.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I SAY WE CALL IT THE " CATFISH LINCOLN"

image >>

• Those are remnants from clashed dies. It's part of Lincolns shirt wrinkles.

I did overlays with the mint's pictures of the coins but their kind of small.

Is there something going on inside the date of your coin or am I seeing things?
    Lestrrr
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    I don't think naming these finds, DDR 1 etc would be applauded by PT Barnum. Do you think the clashing that make's Lincoln's beard look in need of a trim may be fodder for a catchy name?

From Hot Lips to Bearded Goddess, ya gotsta have a catchy name!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone find any in 4-20's?

With so many rolls being cracked open maybe some intact rolls with that expensive paper might be worth something down the road.....

R95
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are remnants from clashed dies. It's part of Lincolns shirt wrinkles. I did overlays with the mint's pictures of the coins but their kind of small. Is there something going on inside the date of your coin or am I seeing things? Lestrrr >>

I thought it was clash marks, Thank you for confirming image

I just reviewed the date and can only assume it was the camera as none of the coins show what appears to be doubling image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file