Home U.S. Coin Forum

WW2 themed Memorial Day tribute.

I would like to post a tribute to the WW2 vets and the families thereof. It will be a history thread of sorts that will of course cover coins but will also branch out to the "Who, What, When, Where and Why". I will not post any pictures of death whether it be from war, Concentration Camps or Atomic Bombs as I would not want someone to accidentally come across them. It is very important, though, that we never forget what happened during the course of WW2.

I will be away from the computer off and on so this will be a thread in progress.

Propaganda posters from both sides:
imageRIP

Comments

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    some of those i had never seen---thanks for posting!!

www.brunkauctions.com

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing collection of posters...many I have not seen before. Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    The weapons of WW2:
    Luger P08 pistol produced by Germany

German Tiger Tanks

German Panzer Tanks

B-17

German U-Boat

German gernade

Soviet Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik

"Serb-cutter". Look this one up. It has a graphic history.

A Soviet T-34 tank on the street of Belgrade

The Panzerjäger-Abteilung 39 Panzer Division of the Afrika Korps on the move in North Africa

The Walther P38 is a 9 mm pistol that was developed as the service pistol of the Wehrmacht at the beginning of World War II.

Dug in German soldiers with the Panzerbüchse 39 (anti-tank rifle) deployed on the Eastern Front

German soldiers position & set up a Maschinengewehr 08 machine gun during the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in 1943

Maschinengewehr 08 heavy machine gun with optical sight

A soldier of the Russian Liberation Army with an MP38

A German Landser involved in heavy fighting in and around the French town of Caen. He is carrying an MG42 configured as a light support weapon with a folding bipod and detachable drum magazine

The Karabiner 98 Kurz bolt-action rifle adopted as the standard infantry by the German Wehrmacht

German sniper aiming his Karabiner 98k with 4x Zeiss ZF42 telescopic sight

A concealed German soldier in northern France 1944. His Karabiner 98k is equipped with a grenade launcher attachment

A can of Zyklon B gas granules and original signed documents detailing ordering of such gas as "materials for Jewish resettlement" on display at Auschwitz I.

Corsair fighter looses its load of rocket projectiles on a run against a Japanese stronghold on Okinawa. In the lower background is the smoke of battle as Marine units move in to follow up with a Sunday punch.

Normandy Invasion June 1944. A convoy of Landing Craft Infantry sails across the English Channel toward the Normandy Invasion beaches on "D-Day" of June 6, 1944. Each of these landing craft is towing a barrage balloon for protection against low-flying German aircraft

A Lancaster dropping bundles of 4 lb stick incendiaries over Duisburg on 14-15 October, 1944.
    Seconds later, the same aircraft releases the main part of its load, a 4,000 lb HC "cookie" and 108 30 lb "J" incendiaries
    imageRIP
    The leaders of WW2:
    German election poster

Josef Stalin

Winston Churchill

Adolf Hitler

Emporer Hirohito

FDR

Benito Mussolini

George Patton

General Montgomery

Heinrich Himmler

Reinhard Heydrich aka "The Hangman"

General Georgi Zhukov

Hitler in WW1

Hermnn Goering

Hitler in Paris, France at the height of Nazi power. Think about this pic for a second. Adolph Hitler & the Nazi's posing for pictures in major cities. That could have easily been NYC or Washington D.C. if nobody tried to stop them. Scary.

Erwin Rommel

Hitler and Baron Mannerheim- June 1942

Hitler and Mossolini

Congress and FDR declaring war with Japan

Chamberlain, Daladier, Hitler and Mussolini at the Munich Conference

Lady Diana Mosley and her brother Tom Mitford at a Nuremberg Nazi Party rally

Hitler as an infant

Clockwise from left: Heinrich Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich, Karl Wolff, & unidentified assistant at Obersalzberg May 1939. Wolff wrote in his diary that Himmler had vomited after witnessing the mass shooting of 100 Jews.

Joseph Goebbels

General Dwight D. Eisenhower addresses American paratroopers prior to D-Day.

"Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower gives the order of the Day. 'Full victory-nothing else' to paratroopers in England, just before they board their airplanes to participate in the first assault in the invasion of the continent of Europe." Eisenhower is meeting with US Co. E, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment (Strike), photo taken at Greenham Common Airfield in England about 8:30 p.m. on June 5, 1944

Air Chief Marshal Arthur Harris
    imageRIP
    Various media"

Nazi-German public annoucement of death penalty for Jews outside ghetto & for Poles caught helping Jews in anyway from 1941

Notices explaining Executive Order 9066 were posted around the West Coast to advertise Japanese-American Relocation

imageRIP
    Men at war:
    Polish Infantry

German troops in Warsaw

Soldiers of the German Luftwaffe

Polish POW's captured by the Red Army.

American soldier as he enters the gas chamber at Dachau.

US forces shelling Japanese positions on Iwo Jima

US forces on ashy hills of Iwo Jima

Japanese troops mopping up in Kuala Lumpur during their advance through Malaya

Marines of the US 10th Army in camouflage battle dress storm out of a landing craft to establish a beachhead, March 31, 1945 on Okinawa, largest of the Ryukyu (Loochoo) Islands, 375 miles from Japan.

American soldiers taken prisoner by the Germans

German forces marching in France

US Flag raised over Shuri castle on Okinawa. Braving Japanese sniper fire, US Marine Lieutenant Colonel R.P. Ross, Jr. places on American flag on a parapet of Shuri castle on May 29, 1945. The castle is a former enemy stronghold in southern Okinawa in the Ryukyu (Loochoo chain), situated 375 miles from Japan.

A group of japanese prisoners who preferred capture to suicide. They are waiting to be questioned by American officers.

Overcoming the last resistance on Okinawa was aided by propaganda leaflets, one of which is being read by a prisoner awaiting transportation to the rear. Many civilians gave up at the same time.

Normandy Invasion preparations by U.S. Soldiers as they march through a southern English coastal town, en route to board landing ships for the invasion of France

imageRIP
    Pearl Harbor:

imageRIP
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    Changes in coin and currency due to the War:

Lincoln Cent changed from copper to steel.

"War Nickel" composition changed to 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese.

Special issue $1 Silver Certificate for Allied troops in North Africa.

Special issue $1 Silver Certificate Hawaii
    imageRIP
  • In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

"War is hell," General William Tecumseh Sherman purportedly said during the American Civil War. That now-infamous saying is nowhere more applicable than to the Second World War, a massive global conflict that saw the deaths of well over forty million people from 1939 to 1945.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
    This is all that I have. I don't collect foreign coins and currency so maybe someone who is familiar with them could post any pics of what Germany, Japan, Soviet, etc. were using at that time and tell us whether or not any other countries changed their coin and currency due to the War.
    imageRIP
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Proof example of the Silver 2 Reichsmark coin issued by the German 3rd Reich from 1936-1939. -Preussen

"Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I hate to be picky, but some of your posters are from the First World War, or, as my Grandmother called it, the Great War. The plane over Iwo is actually a C130 Hercules which didn't come around until the 60's so this is a later photo. Nice job though!

<< <i>I hate to be picky, but some of your posters are from the First World War, or, as my Grandmother called it, the Great War. The plane over Iwo is actually a C130 Hercules which didn't come around until the 60's so this is a later photo. Nice job though! >>

Which of the posters are from WW1?

I took out the pic of the c130 Hercules. Thanks for identifying it.
    imageRIP
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Thank you, Robb. That really brought home to me, what today is about...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file