Home U.S. Coin Forum

2008 Proof Platinum Question

Sorry if this has already been addressed in another thread, but what is the deal with the 2008 proof plats at the mint? Are they sold out of all their supply for the rest of the year, or are they just waiting to reprice them again like they have in the past?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Comments

• The mint closed dude. Didnt you get the email or see it in CW?

JK, I think they are repricing. Again.
    Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • Repricing. They will be back.

Remember, it's the Government; they are idiots when it comes to doing something like adding 10% to the old price on the website and putting back on sale. Too much common sense needed for such an operation.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    There is speculation, and I stress it is just speculation, that proof platinum production is over for the year with mintages limited to the amount already ordered/minted/fulfilled.
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>Repricing. They will be back. >>

But what is the mint waiting for? There has been a lengthy amount of time when spot was under $2000 and they didn't come back. So are they waiting for an extended duration above $2050 so they can price them high? That's the only thing I can think of.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    The guy that does the repricing goes in and sleeps most of the time. When it's time to go home, he gets a cup of coffee and thinks of the work he needs to do tomorrow - tomorrow never comes.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    They have devoted themselves to trying to fill the gouges in the unc-w burnished plat I just sent back to them. As soon as they can get the solder to stick, they will return their attention to the proofs.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Does anyone have production/sales numbers so far??
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have production/sales numbers so far?? >>

See the platinum, silver, gold historical intentions thread a few pages down.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    Well, something is happening, as the plat proofs have been removed.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file