Home U.S. Coin Forum

I am at a Crossroad...Lincoln Wheatbacks

PQ examples of virtually all dates seem to be very scare in today's coin market. Try finding P-mints of 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954 or 1956 in solid, solid, solid MS66RD. Good luck. Forget about the early dates, first born only.

What is a guy to do...sell a partially completed registry set?image

Jaded. After all this is a series that no one gave a chit about 10 years ago.

imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Well, the good stuff was pretty pricey relatively speaking even a decade ago. Slabbed post-1940 coins are pretty overpriced across the board in this series, although you can still find decent stuff raw if you have the time to look.

Our only hope is that prices will "crash" (relative to the recent ridiculous run-up of the past few years) after the anniversary hoopla, and that they don't discontinue the series, so that by 2010/11 they'll be back within range.

But if the cent is discontinued, you might as well fuggedaboutit.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it is kinda crazy isn't it
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Just means it will take longer to find. I sold or am selling all of my slabbed Lincolns. I got tired of looking for good examples. I decided to do a Dansco Lincoln album instead. I like brown copper and will look for nice examples at local dealers and shows to fill spots over time.
  • I guess us Lincoln collectors will just have to pay the price premiums for the good ones or continue to check unopened rolls for miracles.
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    With patience, and a good network, you'll find what you need. image I also like to add coins every week but if you do, you'll have to lower your standards. That's not a positive for your collection.
  • Time to hit some Coin Shows

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file