Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you were starting a TPG . . .

What would be your market position? Would you adopt grading standards that mirrored PCGS’ standards? Why or why not?

I’m just curious, and no, I’m not thinking of starting a TPG. But since PCGS is generally recognized as the “top dog” with their graded coins on average garnering the best auction prices, why wouldn’t another TPG try to mimic their standard exactly?

Comments

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Depends. I'd try to pick one like it, but maybe more lenient/tighter on certain series. I know that in the future if I want to start one, I'll hire Will Robins. image

One thing I do feel strongly about though is making it tougher for cleaned coins to get in. I want the bar to be higher for "not harshly cleaned" coins.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    I would look for a different business model, or seek a technological edge. Without those, I would not start a grading company, because it is an industry with a flat to declining revenue stream and two entrenched dominant players. It takes a lot of money to start a professional level grading service. With the current market situation a new start up would likely lose money for years on end no matter how tight or loose the grading.

Duplicating PCGS or NGC is a difficult task and only could be tried by a group with huge buckets of money to burn. Even then, the response from the big two would likely make it a lose-lose proposition for all involved. Grading is only a small part of a successful grading company. Reputation, marketing muscle, dealer support, are all at least as important. The coin business is a small club, and a new start up would need excellent connections to have any chance. Even then, I believe the odds would be exceedingly poor if the start up tried to follow the same road as any of the existing companies. Those positions in the market are occupied. It takes a lot to try to dislodge any of the established players.
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Tougher grading, along the lines of ICCS. Good images of raw coin and slabbed coin with cert number so won't have to worry about fakes. 20-point grading scale, 1-10 for the circ grades, 11-20 corresponding to 61-70. Slab like 1st gen pcgs with clear ring around the coin. Shows scratches but so what, looks like the coin is floating. This entire idea has been copyrighted, and patent is pending, so don't even think about it.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Depends. I'd try to pick one like it, but maybe more lenient/tighter on certain series. I know that in the future if I want to start one, I'll hire Will Robins. I'd also hire all of his sons. That way, if there was trouble, I could flail my arms and say "Danger, Will Robin's sons!"
    I collect circulated U.S. silver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file