Home U.S. Coin Forum

How should I put together a short set of Gem Walkers

I am a collecter who likes to looks at gem coins in a capital Holder.

I have a short set of Mercury Dimes that I put togehter by buying PCGS MS 65+ and cracked them open to put in a Capital Holder. They look great and I don't have to look at all that stuff on a slab. I did the same with a Franklin set. I know you lose money but I don't care. They often sit on my desk and draw attention.
I think the word is presentation.

I know it would be foley to do the same with Walkers due to cost. Do these short sets appear at coin shows? Should I have a dealer put it togehter?

I find I "connect" while looking at a raw gem coin or in a cap holder. I do not have that feeling with slabbed coins.
I have 60 or so Morgans , pcgs 65+ that I never look at. I have one Toned Morgan, a 'raw' coin toned that bring chillls up my spine. If you know what i mean.

Tnx of reading this. R.

Comments

• bump
  • a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    This is an Ebay auction of a full short set by an esteemed member here.

Walker Short Set
  • Contact Wei Chang-WTC on Board. Good eye for WLH series, and very reasonable $. Also your pm is not turned on. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Thanks Charley and collector.

PM now on.

If you see him, have him e-mail me,. Rik_key@hotmail.com

• No need to do that . Use your PM function, top left corner where it says "no new message". You will be able to pm WTC yourself. You will also see notification of a private message to you at the same location. When you do see a notification of a mesage, just click on it, then open and read. Explaining in case you were not aware of the use of this function. Respectfully, John Curlis

• << <i>Contact Wei Chang-WTC on Board. Good eye for WLH series, and very reasonable $. Also your pm is not turned on. Respectfully, John Curlis >>

Charley,

I agree, Wei has some very cool stuff and he is a good guy as well.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Contact Wei Chang-WTC on Board. Good eye for WLH series, and very reasonable $. Also your pm is not turned on. Respectfully, John Curlis >>

I agree one of the good guys. 2image on my deals with him.

• << <i>Contact Wei Chang-WTC on Board. Good eye for WLH series, and very reasonable $. Also your pm is not turned on. Respectfully, John Curlis >>

I can't agree with you more. Wei often carries a nice selection of uncirculated Walkers. Depending on where you live, it's always a learning experience to see his coins displayed at a show (the cute assistant doesn't hurt either). ALso his descriptions on the BST forum are almost always dead on accurate.

• << <i>I know it would be foley to do the same with Walkers due to cost. Do these short sets appear at coin shows? Should I have a dealer put it togehter? >>

It is my opinion that having a dealer assemble a set of coins for ones self totally defeats the purpose of collecting in the first place . I think alot of the fun of collecting is going to different shows , talking to different people, looking at as many coins as possible, and educating yourself to the point where you don't have to rely on others .

I would buy some books on walkers and grading guides. READ THEM! Look at as many coins as I could and start off with the cheaper coins at first, this way if you make a mistake it's minimal. I collect mostly Buffalo Nickels and when I first started collecting I would buy coins later only to be unimpressed e.g- Weakly struck , dark, marks or just basically unattractive pieces. I'm to the point now where i'm mostly comfortable with my purchases and can cherrypick a few nice pieces here or there.

Most of all have fun and take your time .
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with "intocoins." For me anyway, they hunt is the fun part. Setting an expectation for quality and then scouring all possible sources is challenging. If you don't want all of the work, a short set should be easy enough to buy intact or from a trusted dealer who can build it for you, but...I think you'll miss out on the thrill of the chase.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Rikkey - some of my thoughts and comments - yes, you can find them at shows already pre-assembled in Cap holders, but be careful, the ones I've seen may contain a few gem coins, but they contain their share of sliders and low ms coins as well. It's easy to be 'dazzled' with so many bright coins displayed at once. Since you've already done gem sets in other series, hopefully you can discern the 'wheat from the chafe'.
    You can also buy the short set slabbed by the major grading companies. I think just about every CoinWorld ad has at least one dealer touting them. They also appear on Ebay once in a while - I see a link to one has already been provided.
    Since you expressed concern of the folly due to the cost, I think a very legit alternative would to consider get the cheaper, more common dates in MS65, then for the 41S/42S/43S/44S get those in nice MS64 condition. With some knowledge and some hunting, as INTOCOINS suggests, you can find these dates and others in MS64 that look like gem coins (and may even make gem if resubmitted) at a fraction of the cost of MS65 specimens. None of the short set coins are 'rare' and there are lots of nice looking ones in the market place if you do some searching. Enjoy.
    Greg
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    you didn't say how you buy -

I bought a very cool set of war nickels from a man who liked going to coin shows

he carried his set with him (only 11 coins and capital plastic holder only roughly 4x6 inches

looking for raw upgrades that he could do a side by side comparison

the short set walker being 20 coins and bigger probably closer to 10x16 inches

buying a completed set is easier/quicker alternative

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file